All Past U.S. Bids (summer and winter)

Soaring

I wouldn't be surprised, if New York City tries again to bid for an Olympic Games in the future. But, for now, it is in such a financial dire straits, with some major infrastructure civic projects that are underway, like building new and extending subway and LIRR lines. However, it would be a challenge for the city to have venues placed at certain locations in the metro NY area.

Too bad that Chicago lost in the first round and eventually lost the 2016 Olympic Games to Rio de Janeiro.

Y do we keep going thru the same non-qualifying cities OVER and OVER again? Has anybody forgotten Detroit's SEVEN losing bids?

Dallas is really not very enticing to most of the continental types who dominate the IOC...not to mention its summer climate is a sauna.

Newbies (and I apologize for seeming impatient) don't seem to realize that it costs a king's ransom to mount a credible bid (NYC around $38 million; Chicago $80 mil) and get egg all over your face. I mean that's really expensive egg fu-yung soup slapped on your face.

So...please, enough with the questions like Dallas or Tulsa or Minneapolis. The only future possibilities with any chances are San Francisco, a tweaked New York and probably a 3rd LA run.

So...please, enough with the questions like Dallas or Tulsa or Minneapolis. The only future possibilities with any chances are San Francisco, a tweaked New York and probably a 3rd LA run.

I agree.

^^^

One big difference though is that we have yet to see third tier cities like Detroit, Philly and Minneapolis put in bids, plus those cities won't be competing against each other in the IOC candidature phase.

Philadelphia did put in a bid for 2016 in the U.S. domestic phase, along with Houston.

Plus, Minneapolis & Detroit have expressed interest, especially the former (which also actually submitted a bid to the USOC for 1996). So, just because the USOC didn't accept any of them (& rightly so), doesn't mean that these lower-tier cities haven't tried & wouldn't still like to.

Philadelphia did put in a bid for 2016 in the U.S. domestic phase, along with Houston.

Plus, Minneapolis & Detroit have expressed interest, especially the former (which also actually submitted a bid to the USOC for 1996). So, just because the USOC didn't accept any of them (& rightly so), doesn't mean that these lower-tier cities haven't tried & wouldn't still like to.

I know, but I meant official bids with the IOC. I think there could be some similarities, but the times are very different today. I could see Houston hosting before Philly, Seattle, Miami and so forth. Would would consider Boston a third tier city. To me, it seems kind of on the edge.

Archived