Paralympic Red Mittens

I noticed in the torch relay photos that the torchbearers are wearing red mittens again, but, ones that are sporting the Paralympic logo instead of the Olympic logo.

So, are they selling these red mittens anywhere?

I noticed that there's hardly any Paralympic merchandise anywhere. It's either been discounted and sold out with the Olympic stuff, or just not available. It would be nice to have some hats and t-shirts, but I haven't seen any. :(

I'm doubting they will produce them. The Paralympics start on Friday and they really feel like an afterthought. While many of the Olympic materials are being removed from the city and some Paralympic banners are up, it just isn't even remotely the same.

While many of the Olympic materials are being removed from the city and some Paralympic banners are up, it just isn't even remotely the same.

That's too bad. I hope that at least they'll have full (or at least pretty full) venues again -- after Beijing staged the best Summer Paralympics in history, Vancouver has the big chance to do the same for the Winter Paralympics. And where, if not in winter-sports-enthusiastic Canada, could new records be set?

That's too bad. I hope that at least they'll have full (or at least pretty full) venues again -- after Beijing staged the best Summer Paralympics in history, Vancouver has the big chance to do the same for the Winter Paralympics. And where, if not in winter-sports-enthusiastic Canada, could new records be set?

Well, VANOC has marketed the Paralympics almost equally...in that the Paralympic logo is right next to the Olympic logo in virtually all VANOC materials.

Then there's also the fact that VANOC has opened Paralympic ticket sales much, much earlier and there is some interest...but iunno about full venues.

Well, some of the venues will be smaller and I have heard that sledge hockey final tix are gone. There are only five sports and only two (curling and sledge hockey) take place indoors. The other three - alpine, biathlon, and x-country skiing - are in Whistler and out in the open.

The Winter paras are much smaller than the winter olympics when comparing summer paras to summer olympics. I know it makes sense logistically to host the paras second, but in some ways I really hope they move the paras first soon. They would make such a good warm up rather than an afterthought!

After now experiencing the Olympics first hand, I completely disagree with the statement above. The Olympics have to come first. The energy expended in organizing and partaking in the Olympic Games far exceeds that of the Paralympics. So a city explodes all over itself with the Olympics, then eases off with the Paralympics. The other way around would leave even a greater emotional void.

So I got my answer...

CTV: Good luck getting your paws in these mitts

But anyone looking to snag a pair will likely be out of luck: the mittens aren't being sold in stores, and one of the only ways to get them is to be among the 600 or so torchbearers in the 10-day Paralympic torch relay, which ends at the opening ceremonies Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

A pair of Paralympic red mittens showed up on eBay... for $200!:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2010-Canada-Paralympic-red-mitten-Adult-S-M-New-WT-RARE_W0QQitemZ320505037427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Olympics_Fan_Shop?hash=item4a9f96c273

With tags attached and a pin.

Even IPC President Philip Craven was disapointed the Paralympic mittens weren't made available for sale:

The Vancouver Sun: Paralympic mittens' unavailability 'a crying shame': IPC president

• 2 weeks later...

More and more pairs of these are showing up on eBay. I netted one pair for $75 on a "second chance" sale. The second pair I got for $35!

BTW if anyone's interested, Vanoc's auctioning off approximately 25 completes sets of each size of Team 2010 uniform (except 3XL and 4XL: there's only about 5 of each of those). Complete set includes 2 shirts, 1 jacket, 1 vest, 1 toque, 1 pair city pants AND 1 pair mountain pants.

The day of the paras closing me and the two other team leads in uniforms spent the day putting the kits together. Today I landed one of them for $290: the jacket and ski pants alone are worth more than that.

I'm in Whistler for the weekend, and while there's some deals to be had, most shops are only discounting 2010 clothes 30%: souvenirs are mostly 40% off. For all my 2010 gear I somehow didn't get anything with "Whistler" on it--so today I grabbed a nice white polo shirt with the multicolour Ilanaaq--and "Whistler" with a maple leaf on the other breast.

^lucky on scoring the Paralympic mittens!

I wish I was in a better financial situation right now, if I was I'd be buying more stuff.

I noticed there were 3 red mittens designs:

• Torch Relay -the ones they sold at HBC stores
  • Paralympic -for Paralympic Torch Relay torch bearers
  • Team Canada -feature the COC logo and were given to the atletes as part of their uniforms

Then there were the knockoffs various souvenir stores were selling to cash in on the red mitten craze.