Glasgow 2014 New Brand

The new logo for the 2014 Commonwealth Games has been unveiled today, at Commonwealth Day

mainlogo.jpg

Read everything about the new brand here: http://www.glasgow2014.com/the_games/glasgow_2014_brand.aspx

And on this link, you can easily understand the message behind the logo

http://www.glasgow2014.com/the_games/glasgow_2014_brand/brand_story.aspx

4 Rings, 5 Tiers, 5 Colours

Glasgow 2014 will sell an estimated 1,000,000 tickets to some 250 medal events. The Games will be broadcast to hundreds of millions more - the Commonwealth accounting for about a third of the world's population. It requires a brand that will convey our vision through everything we say and do. We introduce you to that brand here and explain why it is something we believe is vital to protect.

Brand Presentation

In competitive sport, measurement, timing and results are everything. Of course there are the personalities, the emotion, the thrill, the elation and the disappointment. But when it comes to those medals it’s a matter of who jumps the highest, throws the longest, runs the fastest, scores the most goals, wins the most points, lifts the heaviest weight, swims the fastest.

This was the starting point for our creative inspiration: numeral elements integral to competitive sport.

Then we looked at some of the top line figures. Glasgow 2014 will be the 20th Commonwealth Games. At our Games, 17 sports are represented. The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games will take place over 11 days of competition, from 23rd July to 3rd August. And they take place in one city: Glasgow. 20, 17, 11, 1.

The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games will be the 20th Games. We used this number as the outer ring of our brand identity, breaking a circle into 20 equal parts to work out the proportional measurements of the other numbers. This ring, that encompasses the others, is a strong, vibrant red - 'True Red' from the CGF colour palette.

The next ring of the brand identity, in an orange-gold - 'Triumph Yellow' from the CGF palette - that echoes the ore of the medals, represents the number of sports. It’s just over three quarters of the full circle.

23 July – 3 August, 2014: 11 days of competition when Glasgow will be the centre of the sporting world with all the buzz and excitement of results, reports and rumours; new faces, amazing teamwork and rising stars. These 11 days are represented in the third ring of the logo, rendered in an optimistic summer blue - 'Heritage Blue', from the CGF palette clocking up just over a half of the circle.

1 host city – Glasgow. So, at the heart of our brand identity, like a target’s bull’s eye, is G for Glasgow, in a bright green, the place to be, the place to come to, the place it’s all going to happen

Hmmm not bad..i've seen worse :lol:

The G is a bit too like the Granada G - doesn't stand out as anything special.

Agree the Commonwealth Games logo doesn't help (though better than the old crown!), but this logo is just very bland. It's not particularly good - but not as horrific on first site as the London/Sochi logos which overtime I think have proven their critics wrong.

And god, these branding companies don't half talk some nonsense. Why can't they just say something like "Well, Glasgow begins with a G, so we based the logo on that" rather than all the marketing mumbo jumbo.

yeah, not as bad as innsbruck's

It's alright. Professional enough and clean and slick, but not particularly exciting.

yeah, not as bad as innsbruck's

NOTHING is as bad's as Innsbruck's. I'm still gobsmacked at just how appauling that is.

1. Draw four lines in poo brown using the cheapest graphic design package on the market.
  2. Apply a crayon effect, because "Look, I can use computers!"
  3. Oops, left the bottom of the page outside the scanner. Ah well, the text is chopped off. It'll do.
  4. Send to Jacques for approval.

NOTHING is as bad's as Innsbruck's. I'm still gobsmacked at just how appauling that is.

1. Draw four lines in poo brown using the cheapest graphic design package on the market.
  2. Apply a crayon effect, because "Look, I can use computers!"
  3. Oops, left the bottom of the page outside the scanner. Ah well, the text is chopped off. It'll do.
  4. Send to Jacques for approval.

:lol:

Hmmm, it's a hard one, I don't quite know what to think.

I am disappointed, I know that, but it's not *that* bad, but it is very old looking - which is a shame. But I think we have come to a point where the old concept of a logo is very different, even more so with sports events like the Olympic/Com Games.

I mean, we saw in Vancouver how obsolete the logo was at Games venues and in the television coverage. It was always be the one stamp/mark that will be used to identify the event, but things like wordmarks and the overall look play a far bigger part.

Unfortunately Glasgow have in their venue pics used this logo in an unatractive way on boardings around the stadium, this does the launch of the logo no favours as it doesnt work, but no doubt we will get a wider look in a few years for this event.

I think on the little slideshow thing on the website for the logo it is quite clever, the concept of 20,17,11,1, with the one being the *G*.

I think the colours are slightly wishy washy and sickly, maybe would look better with better colours. They also could have done themselves a favour by creating a more exciting typography for *Glasgow 2014*, which would give them more options for use.

I think this would look good digitally, but in still form, its abit dull.

It is the opposite form of Sochi's logo. This one is a traditional looking logo, I'll give Glasgow that, but it is very dull and almost static. The Sochi logo , at least does have a freshness about it, all being it a boring and nonsense concept.

I think this one is one that surely will be worked on.

The only place I see this logo working is on the TV graphics stamped on the clock / line-up screens in a similar way to the "M" of both Manchester and Melbourne. I think it's the colours which make an average design look even worse - it's easier on the eye in the black and white shots - the primary colours used just clash horribly.

As for Vancouver - like it or not I think with the London and Sochi logos revealed, Vancouver may be the last of the more traditional logos we'll see for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not what I expected at all and when I first saw it. I expected Glasgow to distance themselves from London quite a bit, but this conservative attempt is a poor brand to show the vibrant nature of Scotland to the world. As said before in this thread, the bid logo far excels this attempt - it's definitely one of the weakest games concepts for years.

There is just nothing Soottish or Glaswegian about it - and it's not a logo they can particularly own.

Pay some marketing folk a few tens of thousands of quid and you can clearly connect the 2012 logo with London and even the Sochi logo as simple as it is, it's rather Russian - but this - it's just a multi-coloured mess - and a logo which could be from the 1970's rather than the 2010's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I don't know if it's new, or been out for a while, or whatever. But I was wandering around Circular Quay today and noticed a bunch of new banners for Sydney up and about, with what seems to be the city's new branding logo.

Hmmmmm. Very Deja Vu!

sydney_sydneyLogo.jpg

sydney_SpinningLogo.jpg

sydney_SOH.jpg

And there I was thinking that Captain Scarlet had discovered a nest of Mysterons in Sydney...

vlcsnap-118162.png

Archived