Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoNutz

USOC - BOA hook up for a deal.

Through the bilateral agreement, USOC and BOA will take steps to:

-- Jointly establish a Congress to take place in 2011 in London to develop and share information on best practices in National Governing Body leadership;

-- Work to bring together National Olympic Committees and private sector expertise to assist the process of taking forward the 2009 Olympic Congress resolutions on new digital technologies;

-- Establish a joint forum to share best practices in the development of Youth and Education Programs in sport and recreation;

-- Explore areas of cooperation in winter sports in preparation for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, particularly in sports governed by the Federation Internationale de Ski (FIS), with specific opportunities to include coaching and technical exchanges, winter-sport training camps and other high performance programs;

-- Explore partnership opportunities between British Ski & Snowboarding and the United States Ski & Snowboard Association to assist in the establishment of British Ski & Snowboarding as a model National Governing Body;

-- Coordinate issues of mutual interest in planning for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sports/2010-03/05/c_13198469.htm

I don't know, what's the point? Is this just the way the USOC begins to schmooze? What does the USOC get out of this?

Well, it certainly doesn't hurt.

What does the USOC get out of this?

Perhaps access to the 2012 venues?

For training?

After international competitors were seemingly denied a lot of training time before the Vancouver Games, perhaps this is the USOC's method to guarantee more time for their athletes in the venues in London before the Games.

I don't know though - it was just a thought. I'm not sure how important getting to know particular venues for many of the London events would help (maybe it's more important for winter events) - equestrian, canoe, bmx, etc perhaps? - tennis, rowing, football are well known venues anyway, as I'm sure the stadium, aquatics centre and velodrome will be before the Olympics begin.

They weren't denied, they were only given what the IOC and the IF requires, unless you were Russian and it didn't seem to help them much.

Training is not important for the summer games in the venues. There will be international tests events so the athletes know what the venues are like but the venues are more rigid for summer sports and a lot less variable. So there isn't an advantage to knowing a venue better.

And even than its questionable for winter sport as well. Look at the Canadian medal comparisons for the sliding sports and speed skating for instance, or how this was the first major cross country event held on Canadian soil in a good while where a Canadian didn't win a medal.

I think the only advantage is the eventing course and that will be one of the last venues to be put into place.