The List of 15 and 25?

Kenadian

Read this article today on Quebec City's interest in a Winter Olympics...

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/773611--quebec-city-studying-bid-for-2022-olympics

...and this quote caught my attention...

IOC president Jacques Rogge said last week it's not for him to decide if another winter bid should be launched. But he praised Canadians for knowing how to put on a Winter Games and noted it's much easier to win a winter bid because there's less competition.

"There are maybe 15 countries that can stage the Winter Games, compared to maybe 25 or more that can put on the Summer Olympics," he said.

To date, 11 countries have or will host the Winter Games (the last three new countries were Japan in 1972, Yugoslavia/Bosnia in 1984, and Canada in 1988 and the next new one will be Russia in 2014). And 19 countries have hosted or will host the Summer Games (the last three new countries were Korea in 1988, Spain in 1992 and China in 2008 and the next new one will be Brazil in 2016).

So what would you put on your list of roughly 15 potential Winter Games host countries and roughly 25 Summer Games host countries? And feel free to eliminate some of the previous host nations you no longer believe are capable of hosting the Games.

Read this article today on Quebec City's interest in a Winter Olympics...

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/773611--quebec-city-studying-bid-for-2022-olympics

...and this quote caught my attention...

To date, 11 countries have or will host the Winter Games (the last three new countries were Japan in 1972, Yugoslavia/Bosnia in 1984, and Canada in 1988 and the next new one will be Russia in 2014). And 19 countries have hosted or will host the Summer Games (the last three new countries were Korea in 1988, Spain in 1992 and China in 2008 and the next new one will be Brazil in 2016).

So what would you put on your list of roughly 15 potential Winter Games host countries and roughly 25 Summer Games host countries? And feel free to eliminate some of the previous host nations you no longer believe are capable of hosting the Games.

15 OWG host nations:

• USA
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • China
  • South Korea
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Switzerland
  • France
  • Italy
  • Russia

And for my three 'roughies'

• Poland
  • Spain
  • NZ (way too left field but hey, they can't go back to Bosnia-Herzegovina)

15 WOG nation :

Germany

Austria

Switzerland

Italia

France

Finland

Sweden

Norway

Canada

USA

Russia

Japan

Spain

China

Bosnia/Croatia

Not for the moment but in the future maybe :

-South Korea

-Argentina

-Chile

-New Zelland

-Iceland

-Bulgaria

-Slovenia

-Turkey

Potential near 2070:

-India

-Kazakstan

-Iran

-Georgia

With only a quick thought to this, my lists...and remember, the lists don't have to be exactly 15 or 25 as Rogge used those as estimates...are as follows:

Winter:

Austria

Bulgaria

Canada

China

France

Germany

Italy

Japan

Kazakhstan

Korea

Norway

Russia

Sweden

Switzerland

USA

And possibly Bosnia, Croatia, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, and Slovakia.

Summer (divided by continental regions):

Australia

possibly New Zealand

Canada

Mexico

USA

Brazil

Argentina

South Africa

possibly Egypt and Morocco

China

India

Korea

Japan

Turkey

possibly Thailand, Malaysia, and the UAE

Belgium

France

Germany

Greece (but not for a long time)

Italy

Netherlands

Poland

Russia

Spain

Sweden

UK

possibly Ukraine

and possibly Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Switzerland if they found sailing venue sites or partners. Possibly Finland, but Helsinki may be too small to host now.

The rest of the countries, to me, have political, physical, population, cultural and economic issues that would prevent them from being successful (even some of the countries on this list have some of those issues, but to a lesser extent).

The big problem to host WOG is that you need an alpine skiing downhill. And I am not sure if Croatia or Slovakia could offer that.

"15 winter countries":

Austria

Switzerland

Germany

France

Italy

Slovenia (there were plans for hosting the 2018 olympics together with Carinthia)

Sweden

Norway

maybe Finland

Spain

Ukraine

Bulgaria

Bosnia

USA

Canada

Chile

New Zealand (both aren't realistic, because WOG in northern hemisphare's summer ... I don't know)

China

Japan

Korea

Russia

ok, there more than 20 countries... :)

And the problem for SOG is that you need access to the sea. But Prague bidded for 2016 and planed a sailing venue at a lake and I think there were sailing world champs at the Neusiedler See. So why no SOG in Prague, Vienna, Budapest or Geneva?

So I think SOG could be held in:

Canada

USA

Mexico

Argentina

Brasil

Paraguay

Uruguay

Cuba

Jamaika

South Africa

Morocco

Tunisia

Egypt

Australia

New Zealand

Japan

Korea

China

India

Kuwait

Qatar

United Arab Emirates

Great Britain

Ireland

Spain

Portugal

France

Germany

Netherlands

Belgium

Italy

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Denmark

Italy

Switzerland

Austria

Hungary

Czech Republic

Croatia

Ukraine

Greece

Turkey

Poland

Russia

So these are nearly 50 countries... :)

do you know that Vienna bid for 1964?

Yes! Special thanks to Wikipedia!^^

SOG in Vienna... sounds funny and yes, it would be nice. But I can't imagine that they are considering a bid in the next 100 years. And if the olympics come back to Austria someday, it will be in winter because Austrians are much more interested in winter sports.

Summer

America :

Canada

Usa

Mexico

Argentina

Brazil

Chile

Africa :

South Africa

Europe :

England

France

Germany

Spain

Italia

Sweden

Holland

Belgium

Portugal

Hongary

Poland

Roumania

Bulgaria

Ukraine

Russia

Asia :

Japan

China

Korea

India

United Emirat

Koweit

Turkey

Oceania

Australia

New Zeland

* - mountains

** - winter sport infrastructure

*** - winter sport tradition

**** - money

***** - previous host/future host

Europe

Norway *****

Sweden ****

Germany *****

France *****

Switzerland *****

Austria *****

Italy *****

Spain * *

Slovenia ***

Slovakia ***

Czech Republic ***

Croatia *

Poland * *

Ukraine *

Bulgaria *

Romania *

Russia*****

Conclusion:

Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy

Not Possible:

Croatia, Finland

Needs Money:

Poland, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia

Needs Tradition

Spain

Asia/Other

Kazakhstan - they are hosting the Asiad Winter Games and will be able to mount a serious bid in the 2020's

Japan

China

Korea

Canada

USA

So the 15 are:

Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Japan, Korea, Canada, USA and..... Spain

I will not, and either will the IOC, consider fantasized non-winter sport nations like India, Pakistan, Lebanon, Turkey etc that have mountains and nothing else.

With the same idea :

USA*****

Canada*****

Japan*****

China*** (They need some times to become winter nation)

Korea** (They need some times to become winter nation and they don't have moutains, it's hill)

Kazakstan* (I'm not sure Than Kazakstan can a serious bid)

Chile ** (Chile have already host Worldchampions ship ski)

Argentina **

New Zeland ***

Kazakhstan has already produced a serious bid, it was just discounted because of internal politics within the IOC, just like Doha. Almaty's bid for 2014 was very good and will only improve with Almaty hosting the 2011 Winter Asian Games. Though for some reason events are being held in Astana too. Kinda stupid.

I just don't ever see there being any desire by the IOC to take the Winter Games to the Southern Hemisphere. Not enough serious athletes and not enough opportunities down there for them to justify taking the Games out of whack with the vast majority of athletes.

Yes! Special thanks to Wikipedia!^^

SOG in Vienna... sounds funny and yes, it would be nice. But I can't imagine that they are considering a bid in the next 100 years. And if the olympics come back to Austria someday, it will be in winter because Austrians are much more interested in winter sports.

Have you seen my Vienna 2020 applicant bid file for one of the Gamesbids fantasy comps?

If not, check it out here:

http://lorddavid04.deviantart.com/art/Vienna-2020-Bid-Book-100313338

I really do think that Vienna has adequate sporting infrastructure to mount a feasible and budget friendly bid.

Summer wise

Canada, USA, Brazil, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Great Britain, China, Japan, Australia, Korea

after that its a big guess

Netherlands, South Africa, India, Argentina, .... I am drawing a complete blank. Maybe Malaysia?

Surely he can't think the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic, Hungary, Egypt can host?

Summer wise

Canada, USA, Brazil, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Great Britain, China, Japan, Australia, Korea

after that its a big guess

Netherlands, South Africa, India, Argentina, .... I am drawing a complete blank. Maybe Malaysia?

Surely he can't think the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic, Hungary, Egypt can host?

I think Prague CZ is capable, or most likely to bid on ur "can't" citations =]

* - mountains

**** - money

Europe

Norway *****

Sweden ****

Germany *****

France *****

Switzerland *****

Austria *****

Italy *****

Spain * *

Slovenia ***

Slovakia ***

Czech Republic ***

Croatia *

Poland * *

Ukraine *

Bulgaria *

Romania *

Russia*****

Conclusion:

Not Possible:

Croatia, Finland

Needs Money:

Needs Tradition

Spain

Asia/Other

Kazakhstan - they are hosting the Asiad Winter Games and will be able to mount a serious bid in the 2020's

Japan

China

Korea

Canada

USA

So the 15 are:

Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Japan, Korea, Canada, USA and..... Spain

I will not, and either will the IOC, consider fantasized non-winter sport nations like India, Pakistan, Lebanon, Turkey etc that have mountains and nothing else.

Turkey already hosting 2011 winter universiad in Erzurum... so in future why not winter olympics.?

but we have to send more athletes and have some medals before being a candidate :)

* - mountains

**** - money

Europe

Norway *****

Sweden ****

Germany *****

France *****

Switzerland *****

Austria *****

Italy *****

Spain * *

Slovenia ***

Slovakia ***

Czech Republic ***

Croatia *

Poland * *

Ukraine *

Bulgaria *

Romania *

Russia*****

Conclusion:

Not Possible:

Croatia, Finland

Needs Money:

Needs Tradition

Spain

Asia/Other

Japan

China

Korea

Canada

USA

So the 15 are:

Thanks for the summmary. However, with Spain being one of the PIGS, I would definately put Spain in the "needs money" cathegory as much as for instance Poland...

Archived