Sign in to follow this  
Querque

New sports at the 2014 games

What do you think, will there be any new sports or disciplines at the 2014 olympics?

I am sure that we will see a women's ski jumping competition (maybe even 2 sinlge and a team contest?). Then there could be team events in alpine skiing or luge, mixed team events in biathlon or curling and many new snowboard or freestyle events (big air, slopestyle, parallel slalom...). Maybe luge natural track competitons. Maybe there are other new sports like ski mountaineering, winter triathlon, telemark skiing and so on... Anything else?

Well there were some guys in Vancouver trying to promote snowball fighting as a new winter games sport... :rolleyes::lol: Hey, it could be fun!

Well there were some guys in Vancouver trying to promote snowball fighting as a new winter games sport... :rolleyes::lol: Hey, it could be fun!

Haha, would be funny... I would try to participate... :lol:

I think most likely will be mixed biathlon, womens ski jump and maybe another snowboard sport.

My assumption would be that for any more events or sports to get the nod for future OWGs then they'll need to fit the usual criteria (i.e. male and female representation, international federation plus active world championships and something like either 5 continent or 70 plus national participation). So that could well rule out some sports. Having said that I'd think the IOC would try and either work with or subvert more of the X Games style events/sports. That's where the growth in TV audience as well as winter sport participation is, as well as giving teams from countries with no serious OWG heritage a better chance for medal success.

So, that could mean more snowboard events or big air type contests. Skiing could get telemark and speed skiing (the latter was a demo sport at Albertville), and women's ski jumping should come sooner rather than latter 9which could then mean a women's nordic combined and women's team ski jump).

As for my out of left field additional sport, how about ice sailing?

How about a snowshoe race? We have one annually on the ski hill I work at. We always have a 5km race, but this year we added a 10km race as well. Could be an interesting addition.

mountaineering sounds cool or triathlon, but what about zorbing:)

There was also a mention of orienteering on wiki., I guess a mind-sport like curling:)

lolll...there's only so much you can do on snow and ice.

However, ice sailing would be quite cool...if you can find a large frozen lake.

ice-sailing-iceboating.jpg

I heard a rumor that bandy is considered for a demonstration... :blink:

It does not require an additional venue (can fit into the skating oval) and is quite popular in Russia and Sweden (a dozen other countries also bring teams for annual championships).

Looks like the FIS wants to add the following events:

Men's and Women's Snowboard Slopestyle

Men's and Women's Freestyle Skiing Half-Pipe

Women's Ski Jumping (Individual Normal Hill)

Mixed Alpine Skiing Team Event

The IBU also already announced that they want a mixed relay in Biathlon.

How about "Being a Good/Bad Sport in theWOGs"? :blink:

Nah...I want to see armoured biathlon (ski for 5km, shoot with a M1A2 Abrams Tank), nude curling, ski jumping for midgets and Sledless Skeleton...

Nah...I want to see armoured biathlon (ski for 5km, shoot with a M1A2 Abrams Tank), nude curling, ski jumping for midgets and Sledless Skeleton...

But aren't Ski Jumpers short enough as it is? :lol:

But aren't Ski Jumpers short enough as it is? :lol:

Maybe, but if they land the right way in my plans for future events they will certainly get dropped a few centimetres in height quick smart...

Realistically:

Women's ski jumping

Ski halfpipe

I don't think the IOC likes these 'team' competition for individual sports.

I would like to see the team ski jumping competition be 2 women and 2 men.

I want more snowboard events! Anyone know why they nix giant slalom and replaced it with parallel slalom?

To be different from alpine skiing and to be more exiting (to there defense, the PGS is a really fun event to watch). For new snowboard events, the ones that the FIS organise but isn't at the Olympics yet are the Big Air (men's only), team snowboardcross, slopestyle and parallel slalom (they used to also organise Giant Slalom and Super-G)

Agreed. But I would add the bobsleigh team event, perhaps as an aggregate event (using scores from existing 2man, 4man and women's events).

Realistically:

Women's ski jumping

Ski halfpipe

I don't think the IOC likes these 'team' competition for individual sports.

I would like to see the team ski jumping competition be 2 women and 2 men.

I want more snowboard events! Anyone know why they nix giant slalom and replaced it with parallel slalom?

yes, as fox said, PGS is more exciting to watch because boarders are racing against each other as opposed to just the clock. After watching the Vancouver games, I realize how quickly conditions on the hill can change and how poor the whether can be. So racing against the clock isn't really fair. For instance, Maelle Ricker had crappy weather and posted a very poor qualifying time on the snowboard X and there was talk of canceling the 2nd qualifying round. Fortunately everyone got a second chance and she ended up winning gold!

At least when you are racing directly you compete in the same conditions as your opponents. The downside is that you might be an excellent athlete but have to compete against the best in a preliminary round and not get a chance to advance.

Need more events to fill the time

the networks first wanted the 3 weekends back in Calgary, I believe, now that they have agreed to that, they need something to fill it - 88 medals in WOG, over 300 in SOG - same number of days

Ringette?

I remind a sport I saw at the winter X-Games which was like a bmx downhill (I don't remind it's name), I guess that kind of bycicle (not motorcycle!) sports on snow could be a good addition to Winter Olympics :P