New sports at the 2014 games

Querque

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the FIS has voted to propose the following events:

Alpine Skiing

-Mixed Team Event (Also proposed for Vancouver 2010)

Freestyle Skiing

-Men's and Women's Half-Pipe

Ski Jumping

-Women's Normal Hill (Also proposed for Vancouver 2010)

The FIS has not voted to propose any new Snowboarding events (I'm not quite sure when the deadline is), however they did vote to include both Slopestyle and Team Snowboardcross at the World Championships.

Additionally, related to skiing, the IBU will propose a mixed relay in Biathlon, which had been rejected for the 2010 games. It also looks like the FIL will propose a Luge mixed relay and that the WCF will propose a mixed doubles event in Curling. Both of those events had also been rejected for Vancouver 2010.

A clarification of my last post: the FIS has decided to "consider" asking the IOC to include Slopestyle in the Olympics, tough whether for 2014 or later remains unclear.

Well, the FIS has voted to propose the following events:

Alpine Skiing

-Mixed Team Event (Also proposed for Vancouver 2010)

Freestyle Skiing

-Men's and Women's Half-Pipe

Ski Jumping

-Women's Normal Hill (Also proposed for Vancouver 2010)

The FIS has not voted to propose any new Snowboarding events (I'm not quite sure when the deadline is), however they did vote to include both Slopestyle and Team Snowboardcross at the World Championships.

Additionally, related to skiing, the IBU will propose a mixed relay in Biathlon, which had been rejected for the 2010 games. It also looks like the FIL will propose a Luge mixed relay and that the WCF will propose a mixed doubles event in Curling. Both of those events had also been rejected for Vancouver 2010.

A Team Snowboard Cross? We don't need another snowboarding discipline where Lindsey Jacobellis is likely to disappoint. One's enough.

Since the Games won't be any longer than current (17 days for OWG) these would need to be sports that could be wedged into the current calendar. That means certain venues (speed skating comes to mind; figure skating and short track if they share a venue like in Vancouver) don't have the bandwidth. Others might...but in Vancouver there weren't any concurrent events at the two venues on Cypress--meaning no overlap between the snowboard and freestyle skiiing events up there (PGS/cross/halfpipe/aerials/moguls).

I would guess Women's ski jump is first in the queue--and will be in Sochi.

After that, ski half-pipe has a lot of support and is TV friendly. I know that we Canucks would love a team bobsleigh (2 man, 4 man, women). Ditto dual moguls (Jenn Heil's better event, actually).

I shudder at the thought of synchronized skating. I find it totally cringeworthy. :lol:

Speaking of women's ski jump: there's to be a women's FIS World Cup in 2011/12.

Well its about flipping time! Anyway, now whit a World Cup tour and 3 worlds by 2014 I think the IOC won't have much choice to include women's Ski Jumping in Sochi.

The two sports that should be there are ringette and bandy. There are not enough team sports other than ice hockey and curling.

What do you think, will there be any new sports or disciplines at the 2014 olympics?

I am sure that we will see a women's ski jumping competition (maybe even 2 sinlge and a team contest?). Then there could be team events in alpine skiing or luge, mixed team events in biathlon or curling and many new snowboard or freestyle events (big air, slopestyle, parallel slalom...). Maybe luge natural track competitons. Maybe there are other new sports like ski mountaineering, winter triathlon, telemark skiing and so on... Anything else?

How about bandy?

There are no more demonstration sports. IOC dropped the entire concept.

Bandy is not a joke. It is quite popular in Russia and to my knowledge it has been seriously considered for demonstration in Sochi.

There are no more demonstration sports. IOC dropped the entire concept.

I know that they eliminated competitions for 'demonstration sports' since 1996.

This time it was thought of as some sort of an exhibition event.

The idea is probably no longer developed anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

IOC ponder firework ban and adding women's ski jumping

ACAPULCO, Mexico (Reuters) - It may be more nip and tuck than a complete facelift but the Olympics could have a new look in the future if a series of proposals are approved by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Female athletes could finally be allowed to compete in ski jumping, the only event on the Olympic programme that remains strictly men only, bringing an end to the long battle for gender equity on Olympic sporting fields.

That decision could be made as early as Monday when the IOC's executive board discusses the programme for the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on the second day of a meeting in Acapulco following an earlier National Olympic Committee gathering.

Sochi will provide a report on their activities on Monday when the board will also consider adding new events in Alpine skiing, figure skating, snowboarding, biathlon and luge.

Supporters of women's ski jumping had been optimistic the event would be added to this year's Winter Olympics in Vancouver after women's boxing was approved for London.

The IOC rejected their inclusion, however, but said they would reconsider for Sochi.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCATRE69O03J20101025?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

Female athletes could finally be allowed to compete in ski jumping, the only event on the Olympic programme that remains strictly men only, bringing an end to the long battle for gender equity on Olympic sporting fields.

Except for Synchronized Swimming that is, or Rhythmic Gymnastics. Not that I want to see men in those sports, I don't, but why do women always make this big deal about being able to do "everything the men do"? Wasn't wearing pants enough??? :lol: (Okay that last part was just a joke, geeeeez).

According to AP:

Well, much ado for nothing. The Alpine Team event has been rejected, and the IOC will decide on women's Ski Jumping, Snowboard and Ski Slopestyle, Ski Half-Pipe, the mixed Biathlon relay, the mixed Figure Skating team event and the mixed Luge relay later.

Talk about an announcement...

See, apparently his royal highness Jacque Rogue will decide whether or not those events will be in Sochi after there respective worlds. Problem: there is currently (as far as I know) no Slopestyle event of any kind schedule at either the Freestyle Skiing or Snowboard FIS worlds...

Slopestyle is basicly the new cool kid on the freestyle block. Well, until its added to the Oly, then it will instantly become uncool and they will have to come up with something else :lol:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Eo2HwMpuJ50

Archived