• Italy
    • Argentina/Uruguay
    • Tonga/Fiji/Samoa
    • France
    • South Africa
    • Canada
    • Other

Ireland considering bid for 2023 Rugby World Cup

February 19 - Ireland is considering launching a bid for the 2023 Rugby World Cup and have already started a feasbility study, it was revealed today.

The country's Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar is due to hold talks in the next few weeks with the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) to discuss the idea.

Any bid would centre around Dublin stadiums Aviva and the RDS, Croke Park, which have been recently refurbished, but matches would also be played in Northern Ireland as the IRFU is the governing body for the whole of Ireland.

But any bid would need a commitment from the Irish Government of up to €120 million (£100 million/$158 million), it is estimated.

"It's something that we've looked at in the past and coming back from New Zealand and seeing what they were able to do there, we said let's have a look at it again," Philip Browne, the chief executive of the IRFU, told The Sunday Independent.

"So that's all we're doing: having a think about it.

"It's a question ultimately of whether the Government wants to get involved in it or not.

"If they don't want to get involved in it then it doesn't happen."

England are due to host the 2015 World Cup and Japan the 2019 event.

Insidethegames

Well, I like the idea - I've always loved the idea of an Irish or "Celtic" RWC. But the article does raise some questions - chief among them is can Ireland do it all on it's own? I would have thought it would be necessary to bring in at least Scotland and wales as sub-hosts as well.

Anyway, I wish them the best of Irish luck!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have an idea of the timing of the bidding process for 2023 ????

Will they award it 6 or 10 years in advance ????

Will they also award 2027 at the same time ???

Good questions all!

Most of what I'd think would be guesswork - with the IRB already having settled the next two hosts, there isn't a pressing deadline urgency in the next few years. And I don't think they've announced any biding timetable yet. I can't remember when they made the last decision - last year or 2010? - but I doubt there's any urgency to do much before 2015-2016. Of course, if they wanted to give someone an extra year or two to prepare, they might vote earlier, but that's just speculation.

As for another double award - again, I don't see why really - the 2015-2019 double was mainly done to give a new frontier (Japan) more of a chance of being selected over the usual Rugby power hosts. Maybe it will depend if the likes of Russia and the USA get serious about a bid as well.

Not much help, really, I know. I guess we'll just have to all sit tight till we hear more.

Good questions all!

Most of what I'd think would be guesswork - with the IRB already having settled the next two hosts, there isn't a pressing deadline urgency in the next few years. And I don't think they've announced any biding timetable yet. I can't remember when they made the last decision - last year or 2010? - but I doubt there's any urgency to do much before 2015-2016. Of course, if they wanted to give someone an extra year or two to prepare, they might vote earlier, but that's just speculation.

As for another double award - again, I don't see why really - the 2015-2019 double was mainly done to give a new frontier (Japan) more of a chance of being selected over the usual Rugby power hosts. Maybe it will depend if the likes of Russia and the USA get serious about a bid as well.

Not much help, really, I know. I guess we'll just have to all sit tight till we hear more.

IRB awarded 2015 & 2019 in July 2009 so 6 & 10 years ahead the respective world cups !

And it is a short process of around 10 months.

Among the countries studying to bid : USA, Russia & Ireland... probably South Africa & Italia (if they could get both their Government's support....)... and Canada ???

And i forgot an active bid from Argentina !

IRB awarded 2015 & 2019 in July 2009 so 6 & 10 years ahead the respective world cups !

And it is a short process of around 10 months.

Among the countries studying to bid : USA, Russia & Ireland... probably South Africa & Italia (if they could get both their Government's support....)... and Canada ???

And i forgot an active bid from Argentina !

2009?!? I remember watching that race closely, but it doesn't seem like THAT long ago. How time flies ...

Well, by rights, it should probably be the south's turn again (South Africa? Argentina?). But Japan doesn't fit neatly into any of the usual established hosting award patterns - it's north, but it's time zone is aligned to Oz and NZ, and Japan Rugby has a lot of links to Oceania rugby. I think South Africa would have to be considered a strong chance - they've now won twice, the only southern Union to have only hosted once (it's their turn now after Oz and NZ), and the time zone is also an attractive one to the UK Home Unions. It sort of should satisfy both the Northern Unions and SANZAR.

I think 2023 will return to a traditional power. Argentina could make a case as a "power" that has never hosted.

I'd love top see them do it, I always have a soft spot and regard for the Pumas, but we should wait and see how they perform in the expanded Four Nations comp, first.

I'd love top see them do it, I always have a soft spot and regard for the Pumas, but we should wait and see how they perform in the expanded Four Nations comp, first.

I would love the next non-traditional host to be Canada/USA but that will have to wait till 2031 if Argentina takes 2023. There are more hosts no capable.

I would love the next non-traditional host to be Canada/USA but that will have to wait till 2031 if Argentina takes 2023. There are more hosts no capable.

I'd like to see all of them, and Russia as well, do it. But realistically, South Africa will be hard to beat for 2023. The most likely to deny them would be the Home Unions, so if not SA, maybe Ireland after all. The IRB aren't as fussed with "rotation" and "new frontiers" as the IOC and FIFA - they're not known as staid old farts for nothing. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to choose Japan, and then only because they had two slots to fill in the same voting session.

I'd like to see all of them, and Russia as well, do it. But realistically, South Africa will be hard to beat for 2023. The most likely to deny them would be the Home Unions, so if not SA, maybe Ireland after all. The IRB aren't as fussed with "rotation" and "new frontiers" as the IOC and FIFA - they're not known as staid old farts for nothing. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to choose Japan, and then only because they had two slots to fill in the same voting session.

Japan will have games played in Singapore and Hong Kong. Maybe if Argentina a cpl games or even one pool can be played in Canada/USA.

Japan will have games played in Singapore and Hong Kong. Maybe if Argentina a cpl games or even one pool can be played in Canada/USA.

A bit far apart to do that IMO. If Argentina were to co-host, I couldn't see pool games going further afield than Chile, Uruguay or maybe Brazil (if Danny allows it ;)).

The US and Canada would do well enough co-hosting between themselves, or even each of them hosting individually. Personally, I think North America will be the next "new frontier" the IRB might pick - but don't hold your breath that it will be any time soon.

A bit far apart to do that IMO. If Argentina were to co-host, I couldn't see pool games going further afield than Chile, Uruguay or maybe Brazil (if Danny allows it ;)).

The US and Canada would do well enough co-hosting between themselves, or even each of them hosting individually. Personally, I think North America will be the next "new frontier" the IRB might pick - but don't hold your breath that it will be any time soon.

Pretty sure Brazil would get a game along with Chile.

• 8 months later...

IRB Praises Russia 2023 Rugby World Cup Plans

MOSCOW, October 24 (RIA Novosti) - Russia’s bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup received a boost Wednesday when the head of the International Rugby Board’s World Cup operations praised plans to convert football venues to rugby stadiums.

Russia is set to host its first major rugby tournament when the World Cup Sevens tournament takes place in Moscow in June, and the Russian Rugby Federation has said it will bid for the 2023 World Cup in the 15-man version of the game.

The bid would likely envision the use the host of stadiums being built for the 2018 football World Cup, federation president Vyacheslav Kopiev said at a meeting with IRB officials in Moscow.

“After the football World Cup in 2018 a lot of new stadiums will appear in Russia, which in principle meet the requirements for rugby,” Kopiev said.

Rugby World Cup head Kit McConnell praised the plan to convert football venues.

“With the venues you will have from the 2018 football World Cup, and rugby being able to be played in football venues, as we’ve seen in France in 2007, as we will see in England in 2015, I think we’ve got a wonderful platform in the future to host a Rugby World Cup,” he said.

McConnell played down concerns that Russian rugby was not popular enough to justify hosting the event, pointing to the decision to award Japan the 2019 event.

“We’ve got a Rugby World Cup in Japan in 2019, so the Rugby World Cup is one of the largest events in the world, but we also use it to grow the game around the world,” he said.

Newly appointed IRB chief executive Brett Gosper sounded a note of caution about Russia as a possible host.

“It needs to develop its audience further in this country for it to really hold such a big, big event with so many games across the country,” he said.

“It would be a wonderful World Cup if it happens here, I’m sure. You should hold that ambition, because it would be great for rugby, great for the country.”

The World Cup Sevens will be played at Moscow’s vast Luzhniki stadium, long renowned as a football and athletics venue, and set to host the final of the 2018 football World Cup.

Elsewhere in Russia, the Central Stadium in the rugby-mad Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk regularly hosts capacity crowds of 25,000.

http://en.rsport.ru/.../625588051.html

• 1 year later...

Ireland set to launch 2023 Rugby World Cup bid

Monday 18 November 2013

Ireland are in the early stages of piecing together a bid for the 2023 World Cup, although their challenge may be undermined by the fact that the next two global gatherings, in England in 2015 and Japan four years later, will be northern hemisphere affairs. It is thought South Africa, who hosted the tournament to great acclaim 18 years ago, will be major contenders.

The Irish Sports Minister, Leo Varadkar, told delegates at an International Rugby Board conference in Dublin that he would seek support from government colleagues next week. “It’s probably the biggest even a country like Ireland could do: we’re too small for the Olympics and the football World Cup,” he said. “For that reason, it would engender enormous national pride. The second thing is that even during the very difficult times of the Troubles, rugby was a unifying sport. It would be a symbol of how far we’ve come, from the bad times to the better times.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/ireland-set-to-launch2023-rugby-world-cup-bid-8947951.html

Ireland could host the RWC simply by using Scotland and Wales venues for capacity. However the IRB will insist on Ireland carrying the financial risk. Also the event will be larger going on projections. Also the tournament could move to 24 teams and a round of twelve.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It looks like Rugby is about to get a shakeup with regards to synchronizing the Northern and Southern Hemisphere test series. This would see the Six Nations and Champion Rugby comps set in a sequence to allow for a ballanced test program.

This wouldn't effect the World Cup, but could restrict it's ability to move around the world, especially into N America.

Also I wonder what has become of Russia's potential bid proposal for 2023? The Sevens World Cup kind of fizzled when Moscow hosted them in an oversized stadium and very little suport.

The events of the last three months must also be jangling nerves with IRB if Russia formalizes a bid in 2016. The RWC in South Africa looks more likely in that respect.

I haven't heard any formal proposals to bid outside of these two yet...Although the Nov 1st test in Chicago NZ v USA is supposed to light the spark and NBC has picked up thd broadcasting rights and started to promote the test already.

• 6 months later...

All-Ireland bid for 2023 Rugby World Cup officially launched

An All-Ireland bid for the 2023 Rugby World Cup has been given the green light this morning by the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU).

High-level political leaders were present at a special unveiling ceremony at The Royal School in Armagh, including Irish Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson.

"I am delighted to formally announce the Government's support, in conjunction with the Northern Ireland Executive, to formally back the IRFU's bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup," said Kenny, whose Government have been considering the bid over the last 12 months.

"Ireland will put together a winning bid that will be impossible to resist.

"We have the fans, the stadiums, and the accessibility to make it a World Cup to remember. Irish people love our sport.

"We are passionate about sport and we celebrate it."

As well as traditional rugby stadiums such as Dublin's Aviva Stadium, where the Irish national team currently play, and the Kingspan at Ravenhill in Belfast, a number of Gaelic football venues would also be used, including the 82,300 capacity Croke Park in Dublin.

"I fully support this bid by the IRFU to bring an elite international sporting event to the home of one of the powerhouses of world rugby," Robinson added.

"It would be a tremendous achievement to see the IRFU host the Rugby World Cup 2023.

"This bid shows the ambition of the Northern Ireland Executive and our determination to bring world class international sporting events to Northern Ireland.

"Northern Ireland has demonstrated that whatever the event, whatever the occasion, we deliver.

"Regardless of whether it is cycling, golf, the World Police and Fire Games and now rugby, I have no doubt that this will be a resounding success both on and off the field."

The bid holds huge political significance due to the historic tension between Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom, and its southern counterpart, with rugby union one of the few sports in which the two compete under a single umbrella.

It would also mark the continued emergence of Ireland as a location for major sporting events, following this year's Giro d'Italia cycling race, which included stages in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Although two previous Rugby World Cups, in 1991 and 1999, included matches in Ireland, the tournaments were predominantly held elsewhere, and no World Cup Final has ever taken place on Irish soil.

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne believes Ireland, and its people, would make "perfect hosts" for the 2023 tournament, which will follow next year's event in England and the 2019 edition in Japan.

"Stretching back to the Union's formation in 1879, and right throughout the modern era, Irish rugby has supplied a series of inspirational players and administrators to the international game," he added.

"We believe it is opportune for us now to put forward Ireland's undoubted credentials to host world rugby's showpiece."

Although no opposition has been confirmed, there is likely to be a strong international challenge, with South Africa, Argentina, Italy and the United States other nations reportedly considering bids.

Of these, South Africa is considered an early favourite, although Durban's bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and a possible South African bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics could take priority.

No date has been confirmed yet for when World Rugby will announce the host country, with it remaining possible that the 2023 and 2027 hosts will be announced at the same time.

Insidethegames

They're coming out of the woodwork now.

Italy wants Olympics, Rugby World Cup and Ryder Cup in three-year spell Italy has set its sights on hosting three major international events -- golf's Ryder Cup in 2022, the rugby World Cup in 2023 and the Olympic Games in 2024.

The Italians on Thursday announced they were lining up a bid for the rugby World Cup backed by Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi and National Olympic Committee (CONI) president Giovanni Malago ahead of the Catholic Jubilee in 2025.

The success of brothers Francesco and Edoardo Molinari has boosted interest in golf in Italy and the president of the sport's Italian federation, Franco Chimenti, is preparing to present an official bid to host the Ryder Cup.

The Molinaris were selected for the 2010 Ryder Cup team that beat the United States in Wales and Francesco won the 1/2 point that allowed Europe to win outright two years later at Medinah.

"It's not as foolish an idea as one might think," Chimenti said referring to Italy's intention to bid. "If we play our cards right we could win this (bidding contest)."

The Marco Simone Golf & Country Club, just outside Rome, has been selected to host the event should the bid succeed.

Italy would face competition from Germany, Turkey, Spain, Denmark, Portugal and Austria to host the biennial event.

The rugby World Cup would provide a great marketing opportunity to promote the game in Italy on the back of the excellent crowds attending Six Nations matches.

Italian rugby federation president Afredo Gavazzi said this week: "I'd like to bring the World Cup to eight cities. Not just Rome and Milan but also in the south, either Palermo or Bari and also, to Genoa, Turin and Florence.

"We could build a few new stadiums or use the ones where soccer matches are played."

Italy would face a difficult task to win the right to host the 2023 rugby World Cup with Ireland having on Friday declared its intention to bid for the tournament.

South Africa, hosts of the hugely symbolic 1995 rugby World Cup, Argentina and France, have also expressed an interest in staging the tournament.

The winning bid will be announced in 2017.

Rome will probably be the candidate city to stage the 2024 Olympics, 64 years after it hosted the Games for the first time. Italy's prime minister Renzi should make it official on Dec. 15.

The Italian capital came close to winning the Games in 2004, losing out to Athens in final voting, while then-prime minister Mario Monti put an end to the 2020 bid for financial reasons.

Rome could be up against cities including Berlin/Hamburg, Budapest, Kiev, Istanbul, a United States city - either Boston, Los Angeles, Washington D.C. or San Francisco -- an African city, possibly Nairobi, Durban, Doha and Paris.

With Italy still in an economic crisis, the government would have to find the money to host the three major events and there is also the question of what long-run benefits they would bring.

Yahoo Sport

Archived