• France
    • South Africa
    • Canada
    • Other

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon Ireland could host this by themselves. Avila Stadium and Croke Park could be used. Other venues could be used with renovations.

Correction: Aviva Stadium.

Ireland 2023 can happen.

It's possible.

• 2 months later...

:) A challenger to Ireland's bid to host the 2023 World Cup...

Italy has signalled its intention to bid for the 2023 event as well.

This should put a serious dent in votes for Ireland...This would only be the second time Mainland Europe hosted the RWC and the revenue generated would be huge!

Would be interesting to see if the US manages to pull with the win. Although I think it will be a bit of a scheduling nightmare trying to figure out where to host, and when since September and October is college and NFL football, as well as MLS season. It might be sports overload and may not get the right amount attention the event deserves if the US hosted during that time period.

Would be interesting to see if the US manages to pull with the win. Although I think it will be a bit of a scheduling nightmare trying to figure out where to host, and when since September and October is college and NFL football, as well as MLS season. It might be sports overload and may not get the right amount attention the event deserves if the US hosted during that time period.

?

Rugby World Cup: Italy announce bid to host 2023 tournament

Italy will bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

The Italians face competition from Ireland, while South Africa and the United States are also expected to bid.

Governing body World Rugby will launch its expression of interest phase for countries aiming to stage the 2023 tournament in May but a final decision is not due until 2017.

England hosts this year's edition, which runs from 18 September to 31 October, with Japan staging it in 2019.

Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) president Alfredo Gavazzi said: "I am sure that today Italian rugby has everything you need to organise a memorable Rugby World Cup and that whole movement, in the next two years, will work to ensure that this dream can become a reality."

Italy has never hosted the World Cup, while Ireland staged games in 1991 and 1999 without being the principal hosts.

BBC

And make that three starters:

South Africa "definitely expect" to bid for 2023 Rugby World Cup

South Africa has become the latest country to announce its intention to bid for the 2023 edition of the Rugby World Cup, an event that would come just one year after Durban is likely to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Intention was declared by South Africa Rugby Union chief executive Jurie Roux, who said that they "definitely expect" to be bidding for the sport's showpiece event, as they have unsuccessfully for the last three editions.

"The 1995 Rugby World Cup and the 2010 FIFA World Cup were magnificent occasions for our nation and for the respective sports and the prospect of being able to repeat those unforgettable occasions is very exciting," the official added.

"Bidding will mean a lot of hard work and I am sure the competition will be fierce but this country has a unique experience to offer the game's travelling supporters."

World Rugby has announced this week that the month-long window for unions to formally express interest will run from May 14 until June 15, with tender documentation to be released in May 2016, 12 months before the host is chosen in 2017.

A new step in the process will also see interested unions invited to participate in a workshop in June 2015 to discuss all aspects of Rugby World Cup hosting

Ireland and Italy are the only other nations to have declared their intentions to bid so far, although Argentina and the United States are others potentially considering doing so.

If either of the latter nations, or South Africa, proves successful, it would break a trend of the event alternating between European and non-European hosts, with the 2019 event to be held in Japan following a 2015 version later this year in England.

A successful South African bid would place added pressure on the nation coming just a year after potentially the first African Commonwealth Games, with Durban now the only contender following the surprise withdrawal of Edmonton last month.

South Africa has also been muted as a potential bidder for the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics, although the nation's Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula told insidethegames this week that this bid is "unrealistic".

It remains to be seen whether hosting the Rugby World Cup - which was won by South Africa on home soil in 1995 - will prove more viable with Government officials, particularly with the demands of preparing for a major multi-sport event the previous year.

"Rugby World Cup is one of the world's most recognisable and popular major sports events," said World Rugby President, Bernard Lapasset, when the bidding timetable was revealed.

"With a six-week global shop window, upwards of 500,000 international visitors, multiple sporting, social and tourism benefits, economic benefits of up to £2 billion ($3 million/€2.7 billion) and minimal infrastructure overlay, it is also an attractive event for potential hosts.

"The fact that several unions and nations have publicly expressed a serious interest in hosting Rugby World Cup 2023 prior to these details being announced, further underscores the strength of the Rugby World Cup brand in the global major event marketplace.

"This announcement brings to life their plans."

Insidethegames

And make that three starters:

Hmmm, considering South Africa's foot dragging over the Olympics and Commonwealth Games...I wouldn't count them as front runners and if USA firms up a bid (a very lucrative choice) definitely not.

Also there's still no word of a 23/27 double bid? Are the IRB considering that?...Now that opens up possibilities.

What do you need clarifying?

You're whole comment...made no sense at the time. Especially the first sentence.

The article posted by another member after yours clarified USA Rugby's intentions at a possible 2023 bid.

You're whole comment...made no sense at the time. Especially the first sentence.

The article posted by another member after yours clarified USA Rugby's intentions at a possible 2023 bid.

Oh I thought it was already discussed. I read on Wiki that the US were interested in putting in a bid, and I thought since this topic has been around awhile that everyone already knew the US' interest in putting in a bid.

And to clarify even further my statement, American football played at the college/university level and the professional level is extremely popular here and has their pre-season and regular season schedule from late August until the first weekend of February. The days they're played on is usually from Thursday to Monday. Our Major League Soccer/football league, which is our national league, is also playing between March and the end of October.

If the US were to win for 2023, or any future Rugby World Cup, then they would have to get real creative with scheduling and choosing which stadiums to play at because the stadiums that would be used to host games are the same ones that would be used for college or NFL football games, and even some MLS teams use NFL/college stadiums.

And also with the US having an insane obsession with American football that may take away too much attention from an event like the Rugby World Cup from locals. Although rugby is regaining popularity here in the US, it's not to the level of American football, soccer, basketball, baseball and hockey.

Hmmm, considering South Africa's foot dragging over the Olympics and Commonwealth Games...I wouldn't count them as front runners and if USA firms up a bid (a very lucrative choice) definitely not.

Also there's still no word of a 23/27 double bid? Are the IRB considering that?...Now that opens up possibilities.

This is a totally different event to those multi sport ones. We could easily and with very minimal cost host the Rugby world cup as no stadiums will be required to be built. Everything exists. It is just push play. Simple. So I have zero stress on This one. It's an easy hosting

Also don't forget that it would be nearly 30 years since the 1995 world cup. It's a bit of a disgrace that the event returns to basically the UK every 8 years, no uk bid ever feels new, so Ireland saying they would be the first time falls flat because they games are always spread around the UK even if one official host.

South Africa is a a powerhouse of the sport and that should be recognised. The country was incredibly annoyed at the 2015, 2019 results. Denying further would likely lead to political issues in the IRB

This is a totally different event to those multi sport ones. We could easily and with very minimal cost host the Rugby world cup as no stadiums will be required to be built. Everything exists. It is just push play. Simple. So I have zero stress on This one. It's an easy hosting

Also don't forget that it would be nearly 30 years since the 1995 world cup. It's a bit of a disgrace that the event returns to basically the UK every 8 years, no uk bid ever feels new, so Ireland saying they would be the first time falls flat because they games are always spread around the UK even if one official host.

South Africa is a a powerhouse of the sport and that should be recognised. The country was incredibly annoyed at the 2015, 2019 results. Denying further would likely lead to political issues in the IRB

I agree in regards to the home nations hostings.

It's got to a point where every time a home nation wins the hosting rights, all the other home nations have at least a 5% chance of hosting matches. It's getting a little bit ridiculous, almost alternate home advantage.

I'd be keen on South Africa, Argentina or Italy.

Technically, it is the Southern Hemispheres turn.

I agree in regards to the home nations hostings.

It's got to a point where every time a home nation wins the hosting rights, all the other home nations have at least a 5% chance of hosting matches. It's getting a little bit ridiculous, almost alternate home advantage.

I'd be keen on South Africa, Argentina or Italy.

Technically, it is the Southern Hemispheres turn.

:mellow: Yeah I get annoyed when the "Home Nations" chime in with hostings. I know Millennium Stadium is great but it's in Wales...Don't really need to use it. NZ, Aus, SA and Japan seem to get by hosting alone.

Yes it will be 28 years since SA hosted if they decide to bid...But "It is the Southern Hemisphere's turn" doesn't really cut it when the only four viable nations (three not counting NZ) haven't jumped up and down with firm "Intentions" yet.

I have no problem if USA or Italy raises firm bids, but would be a bit peeved if Ireland's bid showed venues to be used on the UK mainland.

South Africa would be an ideal host for 2023. Gives more insulation to go to Italy or Argentina in 2027. I know that was the argument for not awarding Japan 2011. Go to New Zealand first, get the money in the bank before you go off to Japan and potentially not profit as much.

South Africa would be an ideal host for 2023. Gives more insulation to go to Italy or Argentina in 2027. I know that was the argument for not awarding Japan 2011. Go to New Zealand first, get the money in the bank before you go off to Japan and potentially not profit as much.

When you think about it, there was a lot of logic in the trio of hosting decisions from 2011-2023

New Zealand 2011: produce a total rugby centric experience for the world. The concept of *a stadium of 4 million*, a well run tournament, but that would not be a gigantic money spinner for world rugby

England 2015: Rugby may not be front page every day, but it will be well run and be huge money wise for world rugby

Japan 2015: A new frontiers tournament in a supposed emerging market.

Can't really argue it was total immersion when France had high attendance by like 9%.

And yes, World Rugby rotating the World Cup in a fairly 2:1 ration between established and emerging rugby nations would be ideal. Add in the intermediate 7s at the Olympics and Rugby has a good show of itself. Though I think they should change 2023 to 2022.

It is a squished calendar to have the premier 15s event less then a year before the premier 7s event. It means rugby gets a 10 month window every 4 years to showcase itself. Put the World Cup and the Olympic 7's two years apart and you get a lot more exposure and a more consistent presence. Rugby is generally played in the fall so it still only has the start of the major leagues to contend with.

Archived