• USA
    • Italy
    • Argentina/Uruguay
    • Tonga/Fiji/Samoa
    • France
    • South Africa
    • Canada
    • Other

What a great idea. Like a Super Bowl of Rugby. An annual one-off, probably alternating between north and south. Maybe a Ten Nations Trophy. Or maybe we could bring in Japan or a combined Pacific Islands team (and that's been really talked about) and having two Six nations tournaments then a 12 Nations Trophy.

I don't think it would detract much from the WC - after all, it really is restricted to the most powerful of the world unions. It could even add some spice to the WC.

Personally, I think a Nine or Ten Nations isn't necessary and would devalue the World Cup. I do like the idea of a north v south game every year, though, and the resurrection of proper tours is long overdue. If the southern hemisphere nations would reciprocate, that would be even better.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think a Nine or Ten Nations isn't necessary and would devalue the World Cup. I do like the idea of a north v south game every year, though, and the resurrection of proper tours is long overdue. If the southern hemisphere nations would reciprocate, that would be even better.

I suppose I was just fond of the name - I didn't think through the implications of a calling it a"Ten Nations" tournament. I agree, I wouldn't want to see a full 10 Union member home and away series. It's more Brekkie Boy's annual north versus south suggestion that I also found enticing.

:mellow: Seesh...A toss up 'tween South Africa, Australia, Italy, USA, Argentina. Australia would drop if it is awarded the 2022 FIFA WC. South Africa could get the return tournament as a safe pair of hands. They are due to host again and Rugby has made great inroads in Africa with both 15 and 7 aside codes. America seems indifferent to Rugby but Argentina/Uraguay could if the IRB allowed it...However the money driver, Europe may need to fill the coffers. 2027, so far away, looks likely to host an 'exotic' venue. :(

• 1 year later...

Australia has held it once

As a stand alone host, yes. And only because NZ didn't get it's s##t together. Australia did share some games in the inaugrial event in 1987.

• 2 weeks later...

Russia to bid for 2023 World Cup

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia, who made their rugby World Cup debut last month, plan to bid for the sport's premier event in 2023, the Russian Rugby Union (RRU) said on Thursday.

"During our board meeting RRU president Vyacheslav Kopyev stated that Russia would lodge a formal bid to host the World Cup in 2023," the union said on its website (www.rugby.ru).

"The Russian team had a respectable showing in New Zealand, scoring eight tries -- a great achievement for the World Cup debutants. Still, we fell short of our main objective -- we could not win against the United States."

The Russians, as expected, lost all four of their group matches. Their other defeats came against Australia, Ireland and Italy, prompting the resignation of coach Nikolay Nerush.

England will host the 2015 World Cup with Japan staging the tournament four years later.

The game's profile has steadily risen in Russia in recent years and the world's largest country by area has also been awarded the rugby sevens World Cup in 2013 with the sport making its Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

"One of our objectives is to win the rugby sevens World Cup in 2013 and also compete in a (15-a-side) World Cup on a regular basis," the RRU said.

Reuters

South Africa 2023 or 2027 - cant rule them out

Yep, I agree. They'd surely be in the box seat for one of the next available hostings.

Interesting about Russia, though. The whole region has seemed to be one of the growth areas for the game. Probably mores than the Japan/Asian market, despite the focus the IRB has put on the region. Still, I'm glad they did eventually give it to Japan.

But I think I'd also like to see the IRB fit in Argentina, Italy and North America too as soon as they can. Just shows that The RWC's still got plenty of territory to go to. I really do hope Australia and England sit out for a while now.

Russia is one of the countries on which Rugby has developed kinda well on the last years. Seeing how well they're preparing for Sochi and the 2018 WC, I don't see why they can't host, however I don't think they have much tradition like other countries like SA or Australia, something that could affect their chances. I think i'll place my bets in South Africa or North America for the 2023 WC.

Argentina is an unexplored part, but matches would be held in unfriendly times for powers New Zealand and Australia

Argentina aren't THAT unexplored - they do have a good and long Rugby tradition and the Pumas are one of the great, albeit still second tier, teams. Anyway, we're going to have to get used to the times and travel when Argentina join Oz-NZ-SA next year for the new Four Nations comp. Personally, I'm really keen for that - it can't be anything but good for their further development, and as tyhe past two World Cups have shown, they are not far behind the pace of the Big Five - NZ, Oz, SA, England and France.

...You gotta have Europe/Russia on a regular rotation as this is revenue, so 2023 will end up with them. However South Africa would wish to host them again by then. 2027 would see South Africa go up against A Possible 'Americas' bid. By the '30s it would be time to swing by Australia again - but remember that Union is only the third player in the oval ball game, and by then Football will be the dominant game in that country - there is a likely chance Australia would've hosted the FIFA WC.

New Zealand could stage the event in the '30s, but only if Australia wasn't going to bid. A European hosting would also have to be shoe-horned in there somewhere as well.

:)

By the '30s it would be time to swing by Australia again - but remember that Union is only the third player in the oval ball game, and by then Football will be the dominant game in that country - there is a likely chance Australia would've hosted the FIFA WC.

Football/soccer will NOT be the dominant code in Oz by then or any time after. Soccer does not touch the hearts and minds of Aussies - it's Rugby (league and Union) that speaks to the souls of NSW and Qld, and aerial ipng-pong (Aussie Rules) that rules the emotions of the rest. It has as much chance of unseating these as it has of unseating gridiron in the US. It's destined to only ever be a distant third tier code.

And we're not going for the FIFA WC any time again soon. The bid left a sour taste, the rotation policy puts us out for a long time anyway now, and the failure exposed many of the shortcomings and lack of support of the A League. We will, almost guaranteed, host a Rugby WC again long before a FIFA version.

... and aerial ping-pong (Aussie Rules) that rules the emotions of the rest...

:lol: haa true.

And we're not going for the FIFA WC any time again soon. The bid left a sour taste, the rotation policy puts us out for a long time anyway now, and the failure exposed many of the shortcomings and lack of support of the A League. We will, almost guaranteed, host a Rugby WC again long before a FIFA version.

I dunno, time will heal and there will be a coup at FIFA, it's sticking out like a sore thumb at the moment. I'd be more concerned that the IRB will turn into something like FIFA shortly.

Rugby World Cup must not shun established hosts, says Australia coach

The Australia coach, Robbie Deans, wants to see another World Cup held in his native New Zealand and has warned the tournament organisers against regularly taking it away from established rugby nations.

The International Rugby Board, which has taken a financial hit by awarding the hosting rights to the New Zealand Rugby Union, has said that in the future it can see the event being staged in countries such as Russia, China and Brazil.

"It has been a great event," said Deans, who has shaken up his side for Friday's play-off for third place against Wales. "New Zealand have done it very well. The public have embraced the World Cup across the board and it has been about more than the All Blacks winning, which they may do anyway, which would be great for a nation waiting for that for a long time.

"It has been a success and the interesting thing for the IRB is will it ever come to a place like New Zealand again? Given that they are the premier rugby nation right now and have no intention of letting go of that in the future, that has got to be a consideration for the governance of the game.

"If you ask people who have gone to great expense to visit this country, they will say this is a proud rugby nation and that is important. You cannot just go to a commercial destination for these events all the time, but I cannot go too far because I will get into trouble."

The Guardian

I dunno, there is of course a place for development of the game, but taking a world cup to a location is probably not going to work. I am still not convinced it is going to do all that much for Japan, the set up of their national game is still too focused on the professional corporate club model, they need to cut the trend of letting expats fill up their team. One of my favourite rugby players (when he was playing back here in NZ) turned out to be one of their better players - James Arlidge (ironically, when NZ needed a first five).

Every now and then I guess an emerging host should be awarded, but not when the likes of Argentina and Italy have still yet to have their time (granted, they haven't really bidded in the past).

As for Russia..... nah. Decades and decades away maybe.

Maybe it's sour grapes for years of various other Northern Hemisphere nations looking down at NZ (and to be honest, large portions of the Southern Hemisphere) saying we can't host certain events due to a lack of popularity and history in the sport.

Yeaaah, maybe it's that.

If NZ never hosts again, there is no way in He11 that Russia should ever host.

Just saying.

Archived