Sochi Olympic Park

Ikarus360

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello? Is this forum alive?!

YES!!!!!!!

I am watching Sochi with excitement......I have high hope. some people are skeptics of the projects and the games but I'm soooooooo exited about a winter game in an exotic location that is not USA and not EUROPE!!! I saw lots of cool pictures on skyscraper city or page or whatever......and the mountain resorts/villages looks AMAZING........I HOPE it's in the work and not a total fantasy, but it looked cool. I saw those train station plans over there and it looks pretty cool. If everything gets put in place it's going to be a fantastic games.

Make more posts....you are "the" ambassador from Sochi!

YES!!!!!!!

I am watching Sochi with excitement......I have high hope. some people are skeptics of the projects and the games but I'm soooooooo exited about a winter game in an exotic location that is not USA and not EUROPE!!! I saw lots of cool pictures on skyscraper city or page or whatever......and the mountain resorts/villages looks AMAZING........I HOPE it's in the work and not a total fantasy, but it looked cool. I saw those train station plans over there and it looks pretty cool. If everything gets put in place it's going to be a fantastic games.

Make more posts....you are "the" ambassador from Sochi!

That is really nice! But I can't help speaking that Sochi is a Europe :) Not a Western, but Eastern Europe, maybe even a boundary between Asia and Europe. :)))

We have lots of work to do. Moscow really wants to organize the Great Show like Eurovision, but we have some problems with local authorities :( For example, our mayor decided to demolish every old shabby houses in the city center and move people to new houses. Nice idea, because problem of old housing exist in every Eastern European Country, but... our mayor is not local, so his assistants doing nothing for solving this problems (mayor can't know everything about the city), or do it in such a way that mayor's rating falls dramatically :( He really wants to make city better, but he isn't Superman. He organized park instead of illegal market, started city beatification projects etc. There is lots of projects to do, but 2014 deadline makes people nervous. But Moscow-lead projects will be finished on time, I hope.

I'm starting some new topics. First, I started 2014 Accommodation topic. After that I will start "2014 Transport system" and maybe "Beatification topic". I have lots of materials about this, but they are all in Russian, so I'm translating them now. "2014 Transport system" topic is really existing thing, 'cause 3/4 of Olympic budget goes for total transport upgrade of Sochi. It includes sea transportation, rail, road and airports! I hope this information will be useful and interesting :)

P.S. If you noticed some "rude mistakes" in my posts, please tell me about them. I must pass my English language exam this year :)

That is really nice! But I can't help speaking that Sochi is a Europe :) Not a Western, but Eastern Europe, maybe even a boundary between Asia and Europe. :)))

Forgive me, I should have said Western Europe, the traditional base for soooooooooooooooo many games. A winter games in Russia seems exciting to me, I hope for a cold winter at sea level in Sochi during the games so we get to see some snow in the palm trees!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Cool! B) Any more aerial photos showing the other half of the Olympic Park?

I afraid no :( But I have nice video about the Central Stadium and the Olympic Skating Center :) Nothing special in videos, so I didn't translate them. The Olympic Skating Center will be soon topped out, the Central Stadium was inspected by FIFA.

• 4 weeks later...

Curious about something: the Bolshi Ice Palace - is that a renovation of an existing building or is everything in the Cluster being built from scratch?

In this economy, I'm also hoping Sochi doesn't end up running into too deep of a debt hole. Russia may need the new facilities, but I hope it doesn't cause too much of a financial burden to the people of Sochi.

Curious about something: the Bolshi Ice Palace - is that a renovation of an existing building or is everything in the Cluster being built from scratch?

In this economy, I'm also hoping Sochi doesn't end up running into too deep of a debt hole. Russia may need the new facilities, but I hope it doesn't cause too much of a financial burden to the people of Sochi.

Most of it, if not, everything, is being built from scratch. The Bolshoi Ice Palace is a new building.

And i'm hoping the same...although, as long as they dont delay the works and do things on time, they can avoid some worse financial disasters like the one on certain south asian country..>_>

We have lots of work to do. Moscow really wants to organize the Great Show like Eurovision,

It was a great Eurovision--certainly the best design work in the Contest's history. And Dima's becoming trapped in his harness was great too. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Women's ski jumping and new events in snowboarding, Alpine skiing, figure skating, biathlon and luge are being considered for inclusion at the 2014 Winter Olympics.The International Olympic Committee will decide on additions to the program at a three-day executive board meeting opening Sunday.

Women's ski jumping was previously turned down twice by the IOC in its bid for inclusion at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. The IOC said that the sport lacked a sufficient number of elite competitors.

Women jumpers took their case all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada, but failed to overturn the IOC decision.

In an incongruous setting, Olympic officials are meeting at a palm-lined Pacific beach resort to approve winter sports to be contested in the North Caucasus mountains of Sochi, Russia.

Proposed for inclusion are women's ski jumping, men's and women's snowboard and Alpine slopestyle, men's and women's ski halfpipe, a parallel racing Alpine team event, mixed relay in biathlon, a team event in figure skating, and a luge team competition.

Several, but not all, are expected to gain approval Monday.

IOC officials said women's ski jumping may be accepted on a conditional basis, pending a review of the quality of competition at the 2011 world championships in Norway.

IOC President Jacques Rogge has said he supports the addition of women's jumping but only if there is a continued growth in the number of top competitors.

The inaugural women's ski jumping world championship took place last year in Liberec, Czech Republic, and was won by Lindsey Van of the United States. Next year's championship will be held in Oslo on Feb. 25.

The International Ski Federation, or FIS, plans to start a women's ski jumping World Cup circuit starting with the 2011-12 season. Women have competed on the Continental Cup circuit since 2005.

"Approval for Sochi 2014 is huge for the advancement of the sport," said Deedee Corradini, a women's jumping advocate and president of Women's Ski Jumping USA. "It will bring many more young women and girls into the sport that have stayed away because they haven't been welcome on the ultimate stage: the Olympics."

FIS President Gian Franco Kasper said he is "very optimistic" that all five proposed ski events will win approval, if not immediately then in the coming months.

"They don't need additional courses or anything built," he said. "And there is enough space in the program."

The addition of slopestyle and ski halfpipe events would be the latest push by the IOC to bring in events that appeal to youth. Skicross made its debut in Vancouver.

"It gives us a different image and color to the Olympic Winter Games," Kasper said.

In slopestyle, athletes do tricks while going down the mountain and through "features" — rails, big jumps and bumps. American snowboard star Shaun White, who won the halfpipe gold medal in Vancouver, has said he would like to add slopestyle to his schedule if it's approved for Sochi.

Ski slopestyle is similar to the snowboard version.

In ski halfpipe, skiers score points for performing tricks and jumps on the same course used for the snowboard halfpipe. The event is on the schedule for the 2011 Freestyle Ski World Championships in Park City, Utah.

The Alpine team event, which has been held at the World Championships since 2005, features racers going head-to-head in a parallel giant slalom.

In skating, a World Team Trophy was held for the first time last year in Tokyo. The event featured eight skaters per team — two male single skaters, two female single skaters, one pairs couple and one ice dancing couple.

I'm hoping for Women's Ski Jumping and Ski Half-Pipe. Not sure about Slopestyle, tough.

Having team events in Alpine Skiing, Luge and Figure Skating would be neat, but personaly I really dislike the format they use in Figure Skating and Alpine, and as neat as the Luge relay is I'd rather see two separate team events (one for men, one for women). That's actually one of the problem I have with the Alpine team event, too (well, that and I actually liked the old format better that the new one): I'd rather see a separate men's and women's team event to allow the teams to use there depth more.

As for the mixed Biathlon relay (and as awesome as some of those mixed relay races have been in the past), they already have a men's and women's relay. Next thing you know we'll have a mixed relay and team sprint in Cross Country if we open that Pandora's box...

I think added 3 events is enough, so women's ski jumping and ski halfpipe is good enough. Anything above that is excessive.

I duno, I think that the IOC might not resist more Shawn White, so the Snowboard Slopestyle has a good chance. That and as it is now there is a free night at the Figure Skating/Short Track venue. Last time that happened (that the ISU created a free night at a venue) we got the Team Pursuit added to the program.

Archived