Sochi Olympic Park

Ikarus360

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These guys are Absolutely KILLING it! These will be incredible games in unbelievable venues with fierce competition and loads of DRAMA.

Sort of sad for bids that don't have the cash to build an entire Olympic city and mountain of venues. They seem to be doing everythgin they said they would do.

6225551069_c651452fd5_b.jpg

SSC pics

These guys are Absolutely KILLING it! These will be incredible games in unbelievable venues with fierce competition and loads of DRAMA.

Sort of sad for bids that don't have the cash to build an entire Olympic city and mountain of venues. They seem to be doing everythgin they said they would do.

I think Russia knows this is its moment to shine. And it's one of the few countries in the world with the ambition and resources to pull of a mega-games. These games do look epic by conventional winter games standards.

They look small, narrow, and cheap, and lack beverage holders. They should take a look at the new ones they put into BC Place in Vancouver.

Obviously, they're NOT big into profits for the food-&-beverage concessionaires. 2 comments:

1. And Sochi will be a 2018 football venue...

2. But then again in Russia, maybe they need Vodka bottle holders? :blink:

Anyway, I'm NOT going...so I don't really care how Putin and company park their fannies.

Sochi Olympic Park photos from unmanned aerial vehicle

You mean a drone, doncha? :blink:

A drone is a drone by any other name. ;)

• 1 month later...

The stadium loses a lot of its openness and lightness with the complete covering and the overhead shots and across the stunning Park during the ceremonies will lose something when you can't see people inside the stadium. But if this makes more sense for Sochi after the Games are over then I'm all for it. It'll mean the stadium can be used all year round, in all conditions even in harsh Russian winters. Losing a bit of design elegance for a better legacy is defintely sensible.

The stadium loses a lot of its openness and lightness with the complete covering and the overhead shots and across the stunning Park during the ceremonies will lose something when you can't see people inside the stadium. But if this makes more sense for Sochi after the Games are over then I'm all for it. It'll mean the stadium can be used all year round, in all conditions even in harsh Russian winters. Losing a bit of design elegance for a better legacy is defintely sensible.

Indeed! It will be much more practical with our warm, but rainy winters.

By the way, what organizers have been doing for the last 5 years? Right from the start of the bid they have been talking about open stadium. Winning the bid is a hard thing. There were lots of inspections about venues, consultations with economists, architects, officials and so on. Everything was fine until the 2011 summer. Someone said: "Wait a minute. It rains like cats and dogs here in Sochi. May be we should add a roof?". Ta-daaam. Where this wise man was before?

So, at the end we see a stadium, wich was corrected over and over again insead of indoor stadium, wich was designed as indoor venue from the scratch. Nothing agaisnt Central Stadium, only gloomy thoughts about cost overruns and broken deadlines :)

I would have preferred an open stadium, but again, this doesn't look so bad. And like other users said, is practical, specially because of the harsh russian winter. And for what i've heard, the new roof was added by that reason, as well for ceremonies ones (guess they want to try something similar to Vancouver 2010 and Astana 2011 WAG)

I would have preferred an open stadium, but again, this doesn't look so bad. And like other users said, is practical, specially because of the harsh russian winter. And for what i've heard, the new roof was added by that reason, as well for ceremonies ones (guess they want to try something similar to Vancouver 2010 and Astana 2011 WAG)

Well, I can't describe winter in Sochi as harsh :lol: :lol: :lol: May be a little stormy and rainy :huh:

soci.gif

The cup holders thing comes from cinemas and I for one thing they're awesome. Less likely someone will kick your drink over whilst scurrying past you. No armrests? That's just sill in this day and age: as a smaller person I can already see myself being squeezed out by the huge persons on either side of me.

Things are coming along nicely--wonder how the current political climate will impact things?

Some renders of road interchanges that are being built in the city

New bridge over the river Sochi (part of the new main highway)

9f11a3.jpg

Vinogradnaya-Donskaya interchange

aa8ff6.jpg

Gagarina-Donskaya interchange opening soon!

01fc0a.jpg

Krasnodar ring interchange + another new bridge over the river Sochi opening soon!

02b48f.jpg

Makarenko-Plastunskaya junction opening soon!

fd962a.jpg

Stadium interchange partly opened

e9fee2.jpg

Golubye Daly interchange

4cd319.jpg

Adler ring interchange Near Olympic Park, may be the biggest interchange in the city; partly opened

a46ab1.jpg

Taken from here

In my experience, I see 5 interchanges that are being built everyday. Another ones are surly under construction. My friends commute to the university across all of this construction sites! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We need to revive this thread, guys. A flash with a current view of the Olympic Park as seen from the Olympic Stadium construction site (you can see how's the stadium is so far as well)

http://www.sc-os.ru/common/upload/cs21062012.swf

http://www.sc-os.ru/common/upload/cs21062012.swf

More pictures of the Olympic Stadium

OS_06_12_1.jpg

OS_06_12_2.jpg

OS_06_12_3.jpg

OS_06_12_4.jpg

OS_06_12_5.jpg

OS_06_12_6.jpg

The Ice Rink

KKC_20_06_3.jpg

KKC_20_06_4.jpg