Sochi Olympic Park

Ikarus360

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they building two athletes villages or just one? I haven't read anything about a village up where the alpine events are being held.

There are two villages. Lets take a look for alpine center.

Biathlon and Ski Complex

c13037e4d870cbed47d5a7b92b640f13.jpg

Rosa Khutor Alpine Resort

993129dcb7a229fb5006ce4e0c4e31ed.jpg

Russian National Ski Jumping Centre

cd1f863af25d7bd4a8defc2e20f9dda3.jpg

Russian National Sliding Centre

08c8936dc1a90278962d0f10b5aa89dc.jpg

Rosa Khutor Freestyle Skiing Centre and the Snowboard Park

3f29dadf7d7c985c5f70d7fbd4a42b2f.jpg

Are they building two athletes villages or just one? I haven't read anything about a village up where the alpine events are being held.

From Sochi 2014 website:

The Sochi 2014 Organising Committee has developed plans for accommodating the different groups of guests and athletes. The athletes will be living in Olympic villages, ideally located in the mountain and coastal clusters. The main Olympic village will be built in the Olympic Park itself. The mountain Olympic Village will be constructed in a traditional alpine style and will be located very close to the Ski Center, the Freestyle Center and the Snowboard Park. Another mountain Olympic village will be situated at Psekhako Ridge, the future site of the alpine skiing competitions.

So there are 2 villages plus an additional accommodation at Psekhako Ridge (venue of cross-country and biathlon, not Alpine skiing) due to the difference of altitude between the mountain village and the x-country / biathlon venue.

So there are 2 villages plus an additional accommodation at Psekhako Ridge (venue of cross-country and biathlon, not Alpine skiing) due to the difference of altitude between the mountain village and the x-country / biathlon venue.

again, they kept exactly the same plan as in their bid book

Coastal Cluster - Olympic Park

49543393.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for posting the images Vladislav. I'm curious, what's the U-shaped structure with pond to the right of the stadium?

Excellent! Thanks for posting the images Vladislav. I'm curious, what's the U-shaped structure with pond to the right of the stadium?

It might be an artificial lake. Due construction of Olympic Park ecology of birds nesting ecosystem (lakes and beach) suffered a lot. One of compensation of this is constructing a range (I don't know exact English word) of lakes, channels and ponds just east of Olympic Park. They are under construction right now. The U-shaped structure is pavilion, I think.

• 1 month later...

Vancouver scratched out the basics (it often seemed more like a chain-link & tent theme), but Sochi looks serious about doing something really exciting!

It's called post-Games legacy. Vancouver is a major city, already had many venues, and made the best use of all its existing venues. With the new venues it built, we only built what was necessary and each venue was built with a post-Games legacy conversion in mind.

I highly doubt Sochi is going to need massive permanent biathlon, ski jumping, and cross country stadiums...or even all of those expensive indoor arenas.

All of these venues will likely become white elephants. It'll be the Athens 2004 of the Winter Olympics.

Canada has a different mindset in which it is highly democratic. The people simply don't want to see much of their taxes spent on Winter Olympic infrastructure excess. We value other things, like donating to Haiti. The federal government sent $125-million for earthquake relief, by far the highest amount per capita from any country.

It's called post-Games legacy. Vancouver is a major city, already had many venues, and made the best use of all its existing venues. With the new venues it built, we only built what was necessary and each venue was built with a post-Games legacy conversion in mind.

I highly doubt Sochi is going to need massive permanent biathlon, ski jumping, and cross country stadiums...or even all of those expensive indoor arenas.

All of these venues will likely become white elephants. It'll be the Athens 2004 of the Winter Olympics.

Canada has a different mindset in which it is highly democratic. The people simply don't want to see much of their taxes spent on Winter Olympic infrastructure excess. We value other things, like donating to Haiti. The federal government sent $125-million for earthquake relief, by far the highest amount per capita from any country.

As you should know, Sochi flourishing all the year resort before 1990. After 1991 some of the Sochi's hotels and sport venues became abandoned. All this Olympic brand new venues were planned to build in 1987-2000 (Sochi Development Project) but our 90-es problems turn this into utopia. After 2007 our city began most ambitious development in a Russian history. We can't compare Vancouver and Sochi in traditional ways 'cause our states or may be continents have different urban planning traditions.

Moreover, some of the venues will be transportable so they won't be a white elephants.

Vancouver is a great city, the 2010 Vancouver Olympics were not great games. I think there are only a couple posters who are posting anything about Vancouver, but nobody seems to be very interested. The thread about "what were the superlatives of 2010" is telling in that not many were mentioned and those that were seemed less than memorable. It was kind of embarrassing to see that thread sit there with little response. I'm sure this post will help bring out a little support for you by people who will be more polite than I about the mediocrity we all felt, they will think what a jerk 747 is and say "Vancouver was great".....

By that way...congratulation on Haiti. The highly democratic mindset might be part of your problem.

That Cape Town stadium just looks like a white elephant to me or a giant ashtray.......and it cant even be used as a main Olympic stadium.......really? REALLY??

As you should know, Sochi flourishing all the year resort before 1990. After 1991 some of the Sochi's hotels and sport venues became abandoned. All this Olympic brand new venues were planned to build in 1987-2000 (Sochi Development Project) but our 90-es problems turn this into utopia. After 2007 our city began most ambitious development in a Russian history. We can't compare Vancouver and Sochi in traditional ways 'cause our states or may be continents have different urban planning traditions.

Moreover, some of the venues will be transportable so they won't be a white elephants.

I still have my doubts about a positive Sochi 2014 post-Games venue and infrastructure legacy. And it's unsustainable. It no doubt looks quite beautiful and should be great for logistics considering how compact everything is, but this really screams of Athens 2004.

I'm not comparing Vancouver with Sochi. I'm comparing Sochi with the Olympic movement...I followed Athens very closely and this is no doubt another Athens in the making. The new ski resorts being built will likely become a success, but are you really going to need five major indoor stadiums and a massive Olympic Stadium (originally 40,000 seats, now planned for 70,000 apparently?)?

Sochi may have ambitions to become a larger year-round tourist destination after the Olympics, but it doesn't mean you'll need all this Olympic excess just to get there. This is the same attitude the Greeks had earlier in the decade.

Vancouver is a great city, the 2010 Vancouver Olympics were not great games. I think there are only a couple posters who are posting anything about Vancouver, but nobody seems to be very interested. The thread about "what were the superlatives of 2010" is telling in that not many were mentioned and those that were seemed less than memorable. It was kind of embarrassing to see that thread sit there with little response. I'm sure this post will help bring out a little support for you by people who will be more polite than I about the mediocrity we all felt, they will think what a jerk 747 is and say "Vancouver was great".....

By that way...congratulation on Haiti. The highly democratic mindset might be part of your problem.

That Cape Town stadium just looks like a white elephant to me or a giant ashtray.......and it cant even be used as a main Olympic stadium.......really? REALLY??

LOL...wow. You sure are grasping at straws now.

1) You do realize that that topic was made more than a month after the Olympics ended...the pomp excitement is gone, and that has happened to every Olympic forum here in GamesBids within weeks after the Games - it turns into a ghost town. Not to mention that it was posted in the Ceremonies forum, wrong place to do that.

2) There are only a few interested posters from each Olympic host city here. What's your point?

3) What superlatives are you expecting from any Olympic host city? And since you are so big on superlatives, why don't you name a few from previous Winter Olympics?

4) Mediocrity that you "all" felt? Who's "all"? The media has said it was a huge success (and CNN did another story this week about how the 2010 Games could be an economic boon for the city), polls around the world have found that people loved the Vancouver Games, and almost all the members here in this forum have given the Vancouver Games a big thumbs up.

It's about time that you realize you are a minority.

I still have my doubts about a positive Sochi 2014 post-Games venue and infrastructure legacy. And it's unsustainable. It no doubt looks quite beautiful and should be great for logistics considering how compact everything is, but this really screams of Athens 2004.

I'm not comparing Vancouver with Sochi. I'm comparing Sochi with the Olympic movement...I followed Athens very closely and this is no doubt another Athens in the making. The new ski resorts being built will likely become a success, but are you really going to need five major indoor stadiums and a massive Olympic Stadium (originally 40,000 seats, now planned for 70,000 apparently?)?

Sochi may have ambitions to become a larger year-round tourist destination after the Olympics, but it doesn't mean you'll need all this Olympic excess just to get there. This is the same attitude the Greeks had earlier in the decade.

Well... We don't want to follow Athens scenario. The aim of our authorities - not only to organize a sport event and supershow. Our aim - is in turning Russian south in world resort. Of course, it is very ambitious plan, but our authorities were inspired by Barcelona '92. The city of Barcelona was turned from industrial cluster into tourist destination. We have even same projects that Barcelona did. It is not a rumor, it isn't well known info, but we are building marinas and sea beaches with boulevards! Not only the sport venues in Adlersky district, but everything in our downtown in a very similar way of Barcelona. Our cities have the same climates, beautiful parks and so on. And we have a lack of city budget. But Olympic program gives us an access for federal budget.

Not only the venues. Olympics will pass over, but we we live in the new city. Where everything will be good. I'm not brainwashed :), I just know some that I shouldn't write in the Internet :)

New seaside boulevard with beach

img-aso-0580.jpg

New passenger terminals for our new sea transport system. We had it in 1960-1980, but due the lack of budget in 1990... They gone away. But in 2013 this system will be recovered.

26ff2f.jpg

0cd561.jpg

4134d5.jpg

Cruise sea port

6144cac8f1.jpg

947dca627a.jpg

This Olympics are not about sports, but a race against time.

^ Building all that tourism infrastructure (resorts, beaches, marinas, etc.) is one thing, but building massive and expensive permanent sport stadiums that likely won't be well used after the Games is another.

And no offense, but Barcelona is a major city...when it hosted the 1992 Games it had a population exceeding 2-million people, unlike's Sochi's mere 400,000 over a very large area. It had the population to support many of the things it had built for the Summer Games.

^ Building all that tourism infrastructure (resorts, beaches, marinas, etc.) is one thing, but building massive and expensive permanent sport stadiums that likely won't be well used after the Games is another.

And no offense, but Barcelona is a major city...when it hosted the 1992 Games it had a population exceeding 2-million people, unlike's Sochi's mere 400,000 over a very large area. It had the population to support many of the things it had built for the Summer Games.

Let we see.

Central Stadium is designed with transformable bowl: 40k seats in Olympic mode, 45k in World Cup mode, 25k in the everyday mode.

Bolshoi Ice palace - 12k in Olympic mode. Post Olympic use - concert hall or arena for local team.

Maly Ice Palace will be moved to another Krasnodar Krai city.

Olympic Oval - exhibition center for ever year Sochi business forum

Curling Arena will be moved to Tver.

O. Skating center will be universal sport arena.

Archived