Sochi Olympic Park

Ikarus360

Vladislav,

Can you tell us which venue is which on that map? I can't read Russian. I take it #12 is the main stadium for opening and closing ceremonies, and it looks like it will be used for soccer, is this correct? #10 is long track speed skating. What are the others? #8 looks like a training/practice rink for hockey, and I'm assuming #11 is the main hockey arena. What is #9 and #13? Curling and Figure Skating? What is #14?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, of course. I've made mistake by posting map in Russian :)

Sport venues

#8 Maly (small) Ice Palace for ice hockey. Transportable venue

#9 Sochi Olympic Skating Center for short track and skating. Transportable venue

#10 Olympic Oval

#11 Bolshoi (big) Ice Palace

#12 Olympic/Central Stadium. Will host opening and closing ceremonies. After Games it will be turned into soccer stadium for Russian national team.

#13 Olympic Curling Center. Transportable venue

Transportable venue means that after 2014 this venue can be moved to other city or region of Russia.

Hotels

#14 Service venues

#15 Main OV. 3000 rooms

#17 Media and 3-star hotel. 600 rooms

#18 IOC 5-star hotel. 500 rooms

#19 Olympic Family and IPC 4-star hotel. 1000 rooms

Vladislav,

I saw that there is a train station planned close to the Olympic Park - I suppose there will be trains running from the Olympic park to the snow/alpine cluster in the mountains - how long will it take from the Olympic Park to the snow/alpine cluster in the mountains by train?

It will take 25-30 minutes by train to get from Olympic Park to Krasnaya Polyana.

Большое спасибо, Vladislav,

:) :) :)

it is great to have here somebody from Sochi - are there many people in Sochi, who are doing winter sports in the mountains resp. in Krasnaya Polyana?

:)

In fact we have a lot of problems with junior sports as everywhere in Russia, for example my friend canceled his sport activities 'cause many of sport schools and venues were privatized in 1990 ties :( The sitaution with winter sports is quiet better, especially young men a found of snowboarding and skies. It is quiet expensive sports, but money is not a big problem if we speaking about health. I hope Games will solve our problems because we will get high speed road to mountain venues (it will help to involve more citizens for winter sports), coastal venues and the most important - after Russian team in Vancouver fail government will stimulate sport activity in Sochi.

hope Games will solve our problems because we will get high speed road to mountain venues (it will help to involve more citizens for winter sports), coastal venues and the most important - after Russian team in Vancouver fail government will stimulate sport activity in Sochi.

Fail? As a Canadian, I'm quite happy with how the Russian team did in Vancouver this year... :P

thanks again Vladislav,

I suppose that many Russians are very, very interested in competing better in Sochi than in Vancouver - my question was more about if people from Sochi like to go into the mountains and do winter sport as a kind of hobby?

In my point of view is competitve sport something completely different

thanks again Vladislav,

I suppose that many Russians are very, very interested in competing better in Sochi than in Vancouver - my question was more about if people from Sochi like to go into the mountains and do winter sport as a kind of hobby?

In my point of view is competitve sport something completely different

I can say, that Russians love winter sports, but Sochi citizens... We are quite lazy :)

Yes, of course. I've made mistake by posting map in Russian :)

Sport venues

#8 Maly (small) Ice Palace for ice hockey. Transportable venue

#9 Sochi Olympic Skating Center for short track and skating. Transportable venue

#10 Olympic Oval

#11 Bolshoi (big) Ice Palace

#12 Olympic/Central Stadium. Will host opening and closing ceremonies. After Games it will be turned into soccer stadium for Russian national team.

#13 Olympic Curling Center. Transportable venue

Transportable venue means that after 2014 this venue can be moved to other city or region of Russia.

Hotels

#14 Service venues

#15 Main OV. 3000 rooms

#17 Media and 3-star hotel. 600 rooms

#18 IOC 5-star hotel. 500 rooms

#19 Olympic Family and IPC 4-star hotel. 1000 rooms

Excellent. Thanks Vladislav. B)

I'll probably go - but feels a bit far off just now. I've no passion to go to it in the way I really wanted to go to Athens, Beijing and Vancouver.

Why? It will be outstanding event, I hope. 3 hours from Heathrow to Sochi-Adler Airport and... Mediterranean, palm trees, Winter Olympics! Relaxation...

It is a dream to stay in this hotel, isn't it? B)

3556522744_1ddf4a1c67.jpg

Winter Olympics here! Quiet unusual for Russia!

4594295791_3e96b3ee49.jpg

I guess I'd always wanted to visit China, I'd always wanted to see a North American Olympics and I've always loved Vancouver, and finally there was no way I was missing the Games coming home to Athens. Nothing against Sochi, but it's not a city i've always wanted to visit. Feels a bit 'Torino' to me - I may end up going but it's not a dream to go - which it was for me in Athens, Beijing and Vancouver.

Olympic Park

gen_x.jpg

I wonder where the 4 practice rinks have disappeared from this latest design of the park...

There used to be two buildings (two rinks in each) next to the venues.

I know that the Big Hockey now has one inside.

I can see a building next to the Small hockey venue, so may be there is a second rink for hockey practice there.

But the two practice rinks for figure/short-track skaters seem missing now :blink:

I had been...but to be honest none of my encounters wit the Russian delegation here in Vancouver were pleasant. And the Russian fans were often rude too. Combined with the expenses (especially airfare), I'm gonna take a miss.

Is anyone on Gamebids thinking they might actually travel to Sochi for the 2014 OWG's?

Is anyone on Gamebids thinking they might actually travel to Sochi for the 2014 OWG's?

Well, I'm probably going to Rio in 2016, Sochi is kinda expensive and it's not easy to traven to Europe from here, but one of my dream countries to travel is Russia, so why not? :P

Archived