Sochi 2014 mascot

What are thoughts on a mascot for sochi? I personally like the woolly mammoth idea, because that would make a funny stuffed animal.

There were some requests by people to revive Misha as the mascot for the games (i'm against it, since Misha already had its chance in 1980). Others are requesting to use Cheburashka (popular cartoon character from russian kids show, and current mascot of the russian team) but that would be so predictable. I prefer they come up with a brand new mascot, the mammoth is a good idea because its an extinct animal that screams winter wherever you see it :lol:

I also think I saw somewhere, where a dolphin might become a symbol? But would not make as awesome a stuffed animal :lol:

I also think I saw somewhere, where a dolphin might become a symbol? But would not make as awesome a stuffed animal :lol:

Well somebody already came up with a design of a dolphin on skis, and them slaped it on a water bottle and it's now for sale.

http://www.cafepress.com/+sochi2014_dolphin_sigg_water_bottle_10l,407528879

Well somebody already came up with a design of a dolphin on skis, and them slaped it on a water bottle and it's now for sale.

http://www.cafepress.com/+sochi2014_dolphin_sigg_water_bottle_10l,407528879

I couldn't see the link, but that is cool. A dolphin is a cool mascot.

I went through Aldaver some days ago and i noticed Leningrad (St. Petersburg) submitted a bid for the 1994 WOG, which didnt passed the first cut. However they had a mascot, Neptune god of the sea

ms1994b1.jpg

And Neptune is featured on a statue at the Sochi beach

450px-Neptun_Sochi.jpg

Of course i highly doubt they use a greek/roman god as the mascot :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

sochi2014.jpg

Were these the official mascots of the sochi games?

Not very. The Sochi mascots were inconsistent in appearance, but I'd say the costumes in the right-hand image are definitely knock-offs, and very probably knock-offs of knock-offs.

Here's a picture of the real things, from National Geographic:

sochi-mascots-01-600x404.jpg

And here they are, subtly different, at the Opening Ceremony (from the Daily Mail):

article-2558867-1B47230C00000578-113_634

Not very. The Sochi mascots were inconsistent in appearance, but I'd say the costumes in the right-hand image are definitely knock-offs, and very probably knock-offs of knock-offs.

Here's a picture of the real things, from National Geographic:

sochi-mascots-01-600x404.jpg

And here they are, subtly different, at the Opening Ceremony (from the Daily Mail):

article-2558867-1B47230C00000578-113_634

Hard to believe that 2 of them were outright rip-offs of Coal and Powder of Salt Lake 2002! :(

1083px-Salt_Lake_2002_Olympic_Mascots.sv

Hard to believe that 2 of them were outright rip-offs of Coal and Powder of Salt Lake 2002! :(

1083px-Salt_Lake_2002_Olympic_Mascots.sv

Thank-you for having the good taste not to accuse Sochi of ripping off Calgary's hideous Hidy and Howdy bears.

I suspect that one reason for the change in the Sochi bear's appearance from "Белый Медведь" (White Bear, i.e. Polar Bear) to the brown-backed creature they used in the ceremonies was a deliberate attempt to hark back to the original Misha.

I suspect that one reason for the change in the Sochi bear's appearance from "Белый Медведь" (White Bear, i.e. Polar Bear) to the brown-backed creature they used in the ceremonies was a deliberate attempt to hark back to the original Misha.

Makes sense. But my point in making the comparison to Salt Lake was that both cities decided on a trio of mascots...and 2 out of 3 are the same creatures; so that uhmmm... feels so un-original, only 12 years out.

There simply are not that many suitable land animals for Russia, and many have negative connotations. Weasels, lemmings, mice, rats, etc are unlikely to be chosen as a mascot.

The options that have not been heavily used are mythical creatures and sea animals. If Seattle ever hosts anything significant I hope it uses a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker as the mascot.

lumpie.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muq3MQwjK-k

There simply are not that many suitable land animals for Russia, and many have negative connotations. Weasels, lemmings, mice, rats, etc are unlikely to be chosen as a mascot.

Baron's right about the choice of three animals as Sochi mascots though (plus two anthropomorphic symbols for the Paralympics). One mascot for Oly and one for Para is all you need, but three + two exemplified a clear tendency in the creative side of Sochi to use variants of ideas which had been successful in previous Games (e.g. the heavy borrowings in the Opening Ceremony, particularly from Sydney and Vancouver).

More mascots allows for a greater chance of one of them being a hit. Vancouver's choice of mascots was extremely popular. I saw a Mukmuk at Mount Baker last year. So I can understand why organizers would want to have multiple mascots available.

The eastern games (if we count Russia as politically eastern and culturally western) have typically been very top-down in structure, so it is not surprising to see them choose mammals instead of something more adventurous. And risky abstract designs can be hit and miss: London's design teams took plenty of criticism too.

More mascots allows for a greater chance of one of them being a hit. Vancouver's choice of mascots was extremely popular. I saw a Mukmuk at Mount Baker last year. So I can understand why organizers would want to have multiple mascots available.

The eastern games (if we count Russia as politically eastern and culturally western) have typically been very top-down in structure, so it is not surprising to see them choose mammals instead of something more adventurous. And risky abstract designs can be hit and miss: London's design teams took plenty of criticism too.

In the case of London, I'm pretty sure the designers were going "Right, let's see the toy manufacturers try to make a profit out of these babies- ha ha ha !"

But multiple mascots as a "blunderbuss" approach to design doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Archived