The Future of Vancouver: Post-Games 2010

mr.x

As many of you already know, BC Place Stadium's inflatable roof is coming down in April 2010 to be replaced with a $450-million retractable roof.

In addition, the Olympic staging areas around BC Place Stadium and Canada Hockey Place (GM Place) will be replaced with condo towers, office towers, and public space/parks. Construction will start immediately after the Paralympics.

There's some talk by the city of removing the viaduct roads next to BC Place and Canada Hockey Place as the Olympics have "proven" that we don't need them. In addition, they are going to also look at closing Granville Street in Downtown permanently to cars and making it a pedestrian-only outdoor mall.

BC Place Stadium plus redevelopment around its precinct including a new stadium roof

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

I'm going to miss the old roof. I still remember being a little kid when it was new, exciting, and the province was proud of it. I even had a Purdy's BC place and the roof was made out of white chocolate and the rest was milk. I know it's time for a new better roof but it was very cool.

I'm going to miss the old roof. I still remember being a little kid when it was new, exciting, and the province was proud of it. I even had a Purdy's BC place and the roof was made out of white chocolate and the rest was milk. I know it's time for a new better roof but it was very cool.

I remember being there for the opening ceremony back in 1983. I too will miss the roof. I wonder if they'll continue to have events there like the boat show.

Meanwhile, I'm glad that they kept the old roof for the Games -- without it, they probably could not have put up that huge 360° screen for those magnificent projections. And the effect of the "artificial climates" (such as the artificial snow) would probably have been different if BC Place hadn't been an indoor venue.

But BC Place will also be a more modern and contemporary venue when it will have the new roof.