GamesBids' Vancouver 2010 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

well - I know that we would like that Vancouver 2010 will go on and on, but on february 28th the Winter Games will end with a spectacular show and this is the place were we can share our thoughts during the Closing Ceremony - lets have some fun together again - the live chat during the opening ceremony was really fantastic - nothing is better to watch an international event together with friend from all over the world

Who is interested in joining?

Count me in! :D

The games aint over yet!

Exactly, still over three days to enjoy.

It is a weird feeling though, that after a seven-eight year journey, all the anticipation, the mounting excitement and then the exhilaration of your home town being Party Central and the focus of the world for two weeks, suddenly ... it's just memories. But like Sydneysiders, I'm sure Vancouverites are gonna treasure sweet memories of the time!

Well done Vancouver and Canada.

Since the closing ceremony will take place on early Monday morning and I have work only a couple of hours later, I won't be able to watch the ceremony live and thus also won't be able to join in the live chat. Closing ceremonies in Monday nights really suck! :(

Since the closing ceremony will take place on early Monday morning and I have work only a couple of hours later, I won't be able to watch the ceremony live and thus also won't be able to join in the live chat. Closing ceremonies in Monday nights really suck! :(

exactly out of this reason I took monday a holiday...

exactly out of this reason I took monday a holiday...

I forgot about taking a day off -- but even if I hadn't, it would have been impossible for me to take a day off since I'll start in a new department of our company on Monday.

Yes, I'm a victim of real bad timing for these Olympics again... (after one of my friends' wedding on the last weekend of Beijing 2008) :angry:

well - I know that we would like that Vancouver 2010 will go on and on, but on february 28th the Winter Games will end with a spectacular show and this is the place were we can share our thoughts during the Closing Ceremony - lets have some fun together again - the live chat during the opening ceremony was really fantastic - nothing is better to watch an international event together with friend from all over the world

Who is interested in joining?

Don't know where I will be, but if at home will be there... and those time, I did not see the rehearsal... so will discover everything as all of you !!!

Closing ceremony 'will bust a few Canadian myths'

By LINDSAY KINES, Canwest Olympic Team

February 26, 2010 8:40 PM

VANCOUVER — Expect Canadians to have a bit of fun at their own expense in the Winter Olympic closing ceremony Sunday.

Though details of the show remain secret, Vancouver organizing chief John Furlong said Friday that it will be an amusing send-off for some of the word's greatest athletes.

"It will be Canada's way of saying goodbye and thank you," he said. "We will probably poke a bit of fun at ourselves. You will probably come away from the ceremonies knowing a bit more about us than you did if you're not from Canada."

And while the opening ceremony was criticized for the lack of French and ethnic content, Furlong said the Vancouver Organizing Committee has made no changes to Games' finale.

"We will be delivering the show that we've planned for the past two years," he said. "But you will be under no doubt at the end of the show . . . that we are a bilingual country and we celebrate it."

And, just in case anyone misunderstood, Furlong said "the country came together to deliver it — including the province of Quebec."

Furlong gave no hint as to who will perform at the closing ceremony, where the athletes will once again parade into B.C. Place Stadium, the Olympic cauldron will be extinguished and the Olympic flag passed to the city of Sochi, Russia, which will play host to the games in 2014.

The show, he said, will "bust a few Canadian myths" and feature some "amazing" Canadian talent.

"It's likely at the end of the show — especially if you're not Canadian — that you will come face to face with people that you might have thought were from somewhere else."

As to who will be watching from the stands, Furlong said he has heard the same rumours as everyone else that U.S. President Barack Obama might make the trip north to catch the show. But Furlong said nobody on his committee has been able to confirm those reports.

"We've heard on and off again talk from all over the world about different people who might or might not be coming," he said. "I think, like anyone else, these men and women are fans and they're looking at what's going on and making decisions, 'Will I or won't I?' And we'll see what happens."

The identity of Canada¹s flag bearer also remains a source of speculation.

Canada's chef de mission Nathalie Lambert said she and her assistants will make a decision Saturday night or Sunday morning.

"We have a lot of great, amazing athletes on this team," she said. "So it's going to be a tough decision."

Lambert said many people are already suggesting that the flag bearer should be figure skater Joannie Rochette, who won a bronze medal four days after the sudden death of her mother.

"I think we need to respect every single athlete," Lambert said. "There's a lot of great, wow moments that inspired people in different ways, and I think we need to consider everybody."

© copyright © CNS Olympics

... there is no way to stop time - when I was a child I loved the "Pink Panther Show", which is called "Paulchen Panther" in Germany - everytime when the ending came this song was shown - and I felt on one hand sad on the other hand the song gave comfort that there will be another episode - this is exactly what I feel now - the Vancouver Olympics are great and there will be over soon, but we know that there will be a next time - this time in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRL5Z1k60tg

Who had shift the clock? (Wer hat an der Uhr gedreht?)

Is it really so late? (Ist es wirklich schon so spät?)

Yes it is really so late, folks, (Soll das heißen, ja ihr Leut´,)

the show with Paul is finished for today. (mit dem Paul ist Schluss für heut´.)

Please Paul go on with the show (Paulchen, Paulchen mach´ doch weiter.)

Chase that little man the ladder up. (Jag´ das Männchen auf die Leiter.)

Saw and colour the walls, (Säg´und pins´le bunt die Wände,)

joke around without an end. (treibe Scherze ohne Ende.)

Sometimes you are a naughty boy, (Machst ja manchmal schlimme Sachen,)

but we laugh about you nevertheless. (über die wir trotzdem lachen.)

Since we all know that (Denn du bist, wir kennen dich,)

you are made out of strokes of a brush only (doch nur Farb- und Pinselstrich)

Who had shift the clock? (Wer hat an der Uhr gedreht?)

Is it really so late? (Ist es wirklich schon so spät?)

Is it true, that it must be: (Stimmt es, dass es sein muss:)

is it really over for today? (ist für heute wirklich Schluss?)

Today is not for forever, (Heute ist nicht alle Tage,)

ich komm wieder keine Frage! (I will come back for sure!)

... there is no way to stop time - when I was a child I loved the "Pink Panther Show", which is called "Paulchen Panther" in Germany - everytime when the ending came this song was shown - and I felt on one hand sad on the other hand the song gave comfort that there will be another episode - this is exactly what I feel now - the Vancouver Olympics are great and there will be over soon, but we know that there will be a next time - this time in Russia:

And most importantly, there'll be a "next time" only two years from now (how time flies...) in London.

However, I'm sad that the Vancouver Games are only one-and-a-half days away from being history. Although two weeks is quite an appropriate time span for 86 medal events, I feel once again that two weeks for the Olympic Games as one of the biggest sports events in the world is simply too short. They are such fun that I wished they took at least three or even four weeks. I think that the restriction to only a little bit more than two weeks (an invention of the 1930s) is anachronistic, in a time with more and more Olympic medal events and with the EURO being expanded from 16 to 24 teams and from three to four weeks.

At least now, unlike in Summer Olympic years, one has the consolation that there'll be another huge sports event only three-and-a-half months from now: the FIFA World Cup.