GamesBids' Vancouver 2010 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

very nice, but didnt luv it. the fireworks did look craaaapy but its an indoor stadium so its better not to risk and set the stadium on fire. oh and i think the "lighting the broken pillar" was a stupid idea, and the i really liked bubbleys performance so for me was just a good show. congrats Vcvr for a great olympics! the first WOG i followed thru

How can you not like the lighting of the broken pillar? She deserved here right to light that part after missing it in the Opening Ceremony. Having a mime there to connect the electrical cords and "pull the rope" was a nice gesture.

It wasn't stupid, what would have been stupid was to have the 3 pillars and center one still lit from the beginning, and not have anything to do with the broken one (which they probably would have fixed regardless).

Citius Altius Fortius, on 28 February 2010 - 07:12 PM, said:

oh Michael J. Fox

wasn't he seriously ill?

GeeCee' date='01 March 2010 - 04:12 AM'

He has Parkinson's disease.

Nice see he is fine

some flashbacks of "Back to the Future" came to my mind, my youth...;)

you get older Mcfly!

How can you not like the lighting of the broken pillar? She deserved here right to light that part after missing it in the Opening Ceremony. Having a mime there to connect the electrical cords and "pull the rope" was a nice gesture.

It wasn't stupid, what would have been stupid was to have the 3 pillars and center one still lit from the beginning, and not have anything to do with the broken one (which they probably would have fixed regardless).

well that was my opinion, it was stupid, so it was having 2 cauldrons..that what happens when u build up something enormous and u cant fit it anywhere. those are my thoughts =]

Opening ceremony 7.5/10

Closing ceremony 5/10

I was completely bored by the closing ceremony. The opening ceremony was actually very good but I ended p falling asleep before the end of the closing. Very dull.

Congratulations Canada though on a superb games. Not the best I have seen but definitely one of the better ones.

Edited by Lee

This was the one time I thought I would've wanted to go...and even the musical acts weren't my cuppa tea and the Sochi handover was beautiful to look at but a misfire, I would not have minded paying $398 to see this.

We'll see whether Sochi will be a bigger mess than this. The Russians are sooooooooooooo serious!!

Although i prefer opening over closing, this is one of the bests CC i've seen so far. Funny, joyful, and poking fun on themselves (it reminds me a little of Melbourne 2006 CC in some parts XD). This is how a closing ceremony should be, a great way to say goodbye to the XXI Winter Olympics. But yeah, i'm not a big fan of some of the performers at the closing (specialy Nickelback.. >_> ). The handover is one of my fave parts, but i just wished they shown more of Sochi and not Moscow.

Loved the humour with the missing cauldron leg finally showing us how the whole thing should have looked in the first place.Great stuff!

William Shatner is a funny guy but has a cheesy side to him too.On this occasion I felt he allowed his cheesy side a bit too much rein. Michael J Fox looked and sounded better than I had feared but can't recall much of anything he said.It was left to Catherine O'Hara to inject a bit more humour into it which she managed passably well.

John Furlong's speech was very moving although he really should work on his excruciatingly bad French.I felt that Jacques Rogge managed it much better! :lol:

The Sochi handover segment was a bit ponderous and boring IMO.Overlong and overly serious rendition of the Russian national anthem followed by some wonderful if predictable images from Russian ballet and opera themes.Where was the Sochi element (or did I miss it)?

Musicwise: I liked the opening musical chant with the snowboarders,the singing of the Greek and Olympic anthems,Michael Bublé and Alanis Morrisette's numbers.Can't recall much of the rest but was yet again devastated becaus there was yet again NO SIGN OF...SHANIA!!! :(

Have you Canucks got something against this fabulous Canadian export or something?? :P

The final is even better, it was only a bad rock concert...what a crap...

...this was not a Closing Ceremony, this was only a bad concert.

I save only the Sochi handover.

Sorry for the late comments, I saw only now the CC.

Somehow I smell once moe sour grapes from a former host country in the Mediterranean... What is wrong with you Italians and Greeks? Aren't other countries allowed to stage successful Games after you?

once more, not "once moe"

Um, did I miss Furlong getting an Olympic Order from Jacques? In times past the head of the local organising committee (Milt Romney for SLC2002, Michael Knight for Sydney 2000, Billy Payne for Atlanta 1996) scored the gold Olympic Order and were presented with it during the CC. Unless there was some creative editing from our local coverage I failed to see this happen during the Vancouver CC. Or was that covered by Jack Poole's posthumous investiture?

What is wrong with you Italians and Greeks? Aren't other countries allowed to stage successful Games after you?

I don't know if you're making reference on me, if yes, well in that case you can pull away the words

"Italians and Greeks".

As I said before, it's obvious here the preference of Commonwealth/USA host/bid city. No cricize allowed.

But nevermind...

• Like 1