GamesBids' Vancouver 2010 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

Anyway, altough the ceremonies were awesome, the fireworks on both OC and CC were very, very crappy.

At the opening, they had a great fireworks at the Canada Place Watefront.

And actually there is a big fireworks in Vancouver, but could not see where... just hear it !

Watching Furlong's speech again. It was indeed quite nice.

very nice, but didnt luv it. the fireworks did look craaaapy but its an indoor stadium so its better not to risk and set the stadium on fire. oh and i think the "lighting the broken pillar" was a stupid idea, and the i really liked bubbleys performance so for me was just a good show. congrats Vcvr for a great olympics! the first WOG i followed thru

I thought the 'roast' segment - William Shatner, Catherone O'Hara (still a hotty!) and Michael J Fox - was wonderfully done. Michael Buble's segment was ludicrous but funny and some of the music acts were quite good. Basically a solid closing ceremony. And yes - Furlong's speech was wonderful.

The Sochi handover was a bit meh on TV - but the ice skating next to the Black Sea was jawdroppingly beautiful.

As was Alanis.

Sigh.

very nice, but didnt luv it. the fireworks did look craaaapy but its an indoor stadium so its better not to risk and set the stadium on fire. oh and i think the "lighting the broken pillar" was a stupid idea, and the i really liked bubbleys performance so for me was just a good show. congrats Vcvr for a great olympics! the first WOG i followed thru

Actually I thought that was an awesome gesture - the Canadian woman (name has slipped my mind) got to light the flame after all and it showed that the organisers were not above having a laugh at themselves.

• Like 1

I thought the 'roast' segment - William Shatner, Catherone O'Hara (still a hotty!) and Michael J Fox - was wonderfully done. Michael Buble's segment was ludicrous but funny and some of the music acts were quite good. Basically a solid closing ceremony. And yes - Furlong's speech was wonderful.

The Sochi handover was a bit meh on TV - but the ice skating next to the Black Sea was jawdroppingly beautiful.

As was Alanis.

Sigh.

Actually I thought that was an awesome gesture - the Canadian woman (name has slipped my mind) got to light the flame after all and it showed that the organisers were not above having a laugh at themselves.

well yea it was really nice of them, but just think it was pointless at that moment since it was a closing ceremeny. i understand what u saying but i wish they didnt do it

the closing ceremony was much better than the opening ceremony in my point of view!!!

Indeed! Not only are Canadians polite, peace-loving people but also they've got a great sense of humor! I was constantly amused by the CC! Good job!

Thought the closing ceremonies were overall excellent:

- nice bit in the beginning lifting the remaining piece of cauldron

- less than stellar rendition of oh canada

- sochi handover was meh

- the performance of russian anthem = goose bumps

- neil young, shatner "canada the final frontier!", michael j fox!, buble and the entire satire bit = awesome

- liked everything up to nickleback

- k-os live performance = awesome

- crappy fireworks around bc place didn't show much of main fireworks, but summer fireworks "celebration of light" much better

And that's a wrap!

• Like 1

awful, unrespectfulness.... Not a way to celebrate Canada and all they gave to those games...

And once again advertisement breack here in CTV !

After watching their broadcast live, they did it so that we'd be able to watch most of the performances instead of having frequent but short interuptions. I'm happy with it at the end...they missed the entire Norway medal ceremony.

I agree, they looked cheap.

They didn't look cheap...they were quite similar to the fireworks at the Athens and Beijing Ceremonies, but I will have to say they were quite short. I'm guessing they ran out of money.

Overall, a 'fun' ceremony...or what was left of it as seen on the US West Coast...and of course, cut by NBC and its headless affiliates!! They cut it off right after the big "Maple Leaf Forever" number.

I thought the whole Russian segment was ponderous and disingenous. (See fuller comments in the Sochi folder.)

Am glad it's over. I was absolutely getting sick of this "Canada" thing and Shaun White.

BTW, where was Robert Goulet?? :blink:

the closing ceremony was much better than the opening ceremony in my point of view!!!

In terms of substance and the message they tried to convey, I agree. The Opening Ceremony message of "a great big land' is...so vacuous. So what? Yeah, it's a big vast land because there are only 34 million people in a land of over 3.5 million sq.mi. That's why it's so vast and empty. And so is Russia. At least with the Closing, they poked fun at themselves and brought out all the CLICHE icons which were missing from the Opening!!

And WHERE's THE BACON and PEPE LE PEU????

Edited by baron-pierreIV