Rugby World Cup 2015...

The Olympic tournament is for under-23s with three overage players allowed in the squad, so the players who will be playing come 2012 are, at the oldest, only 15 or 16 now. There is no way of telling who will be in the best shape by then.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Olympic tournament is for under-23s with three overage players allowed in the squad, so the players who will be playing come 2012 are, at the oldest, only 15 or 16 now. There is no way of telling who will be in the best shape by then.

Sure, it is unpredictable for 2012.

But realistically there would have to be a massive improvement in Welsh and Scottich football in general for a GB to have a decent number of Welsh/ Scottich players.

Within 7 years I don't see such a major transition occuring in Welsh/ Scottish football as a whole. I still believe that if a 2012 GB team with welsh/ scottish players comes into effect, the team would be heavily dominated with English players.

But realistically there would have to be a massive improvement in Welsh and Scottich football in general for a GB to have a decent number of Welsh/ Scottich players.

Within 7 years I don't see such a major transition occuring in Welsh/ Scottish football as a whole. I still believe that if a 2012 GB team with welsh/ scottish players comes into effect, the team would be heavily dominated with English players.

I don't know why your so upbeat about the England team....they've hardly set the world on fire in past decades....their track record of winning Euro Champs and World Cups since 1966 is excatly the same as Scotland....ZERO!

I look at our current squad and believe that if we get it right and have the little bit of luck that we seem never to get we'll go very close next summer.

Anyway, did anyone see the ruling yesterday that Olympic football will now be solely an under-23 tournament from Beijing onwards?

I don't know why your so upbeat about the England team....they've hardly set the world on fire in past decades....their track record of winning Euro Champs and World Cups since 1966 is excatly the same as Scotland....ZERO!

At least England can qualify for these championships.

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like Ireland is set to be the first likely bidder for the 2015 tournament following the deal between the Gaelic Athletic Association and the Irish Rugby Football Union to allow the 82,300-capacity Croke Park to host rugby and soccer matches.

Croke Park the final piece of jigsaw for World Cup 2015 bid

Jan 22nd: THE confirmed availability of Croke Park to rugby next year is certain to encourage an IRFU bid to host the Rugby World Cup in 2015. It is likely that interested parties will have to declare themselves in 2008, and that the voting process would take place the next year.

Irish Independent

2015 is Japan's to win, do you even think the IRB is not going to not give it to them after the 2011 fiasco?

That's assuming Japan would be interested in bidding _ they may decide to sit it out in a huff after the 2011 result. In which case, it would pretty well much be the turn for a Home Union again.

2015 is Japan's to win, do you even think the IRB is not going to not give it to them after the 2011 fiasco?

That's assuming Japan would be interested in bidding _ they may decide to sit it out in a huff after the 2011 result. In which case, it would pretty well much be the turn for a Home Union again.

Japan IS bidding for 2015

Rugby union focused on 2015 bid

Okay _ I hadn't known that they'd officially declared their attention. You're right, they would have to be favourites after the stick the IRB got for 2011, and I'm sure you could guess they're who I'd be going for. Still, I'm sure Ireland would at least be able to call on NZ to repay the favour.

If Japan do get it, it's good for Australia and NZ _ two consecutive WCs in our time zone!

Okay _ I hadn't known that they'd officially declared their attention. You're right, they would have to be favourites after the stick the IRB got for 2011, and I'm sure you could guess they're who I'd be going for. Still, I'm sure Ireland would at least be able to call on NZ to repay the favour.

If Japan do get it, it's good for Australia and NZ _ two consecutive WCs in our time zone!

Well the NZRU and the JRU aren’t too fond of each other right now so I don't see there vote going to Japan. lol

I'm spilt on who I'd want to see host. I want to see the the world cup to go to a new place but the way the JRU conducted itself during and after the 2011 race has kind of put me off Japan. Though, it's got to go to Asia sometime. I don't think we will see huge incresse of popularity for the games over in Asia but I'm sure it will help.

Well the NZRU and the JRU aren’t too fond of each other right now so I don't see there vote going to Japan. lol

That's not too important, as other countries like GB and Australia will vote for Japan again.

What is worrying however, is that the relationship between the JRU and IRB is gradually getting worse day by day, week by week.They are fast becoming enemies.

If this carries on, and the hatred between the IRB and Japan grows even more then Japan probably won't bid for 2015, even though they may have expressed interest at this stage.

Even if Japan were to bid for 2015, they'd probably lose to South Africa.

I think Japan should forget about the Rugby world cup and spend all energies into a summer olympic bid. The IOC respects Japan (the IRB dosen't have any respect for non-established Rugby nations).

Tokyo 2016 is one of the few cities that just might be able to steal the SOG away from America.

That's not too important, as other countries like GB and Australia will vote for Japan again.

What is worrying however, is that the relationship between the JRU and IRB is gradually getting worse day by day, week by week.They are fast becoming enemies.

If this carries on, and the hatred between the IRB and Japan grows even more then Japan probably won't bid for 2015, even though they may have expressed interest at this stage.

Even if Japan were to bid for 2015, they'd probably lose to South Africa.

I think Japan should forget about the Rugby world cup and spend all energies into a summer olympic bid. The IOC respects Japan (the IRB dosen't have any respect for non-established Rugby nations).

Tokyo 2016 is one of the few cities that just might be able to steal the SOG away from America.

New Zealand’s support for a world cup is extremely important to any bid looking to host the rugby world cup. Fact is that NZ probably has the most clout and influence over the IRB than any other member nation and really it was that clout that won us votes for 2011. NZ and South Africa Easily lead a NZ, Wales, Scotland, South Africa, Africa and Oceania block of 10 votes which is something Japan doesn’t want against it. I don’t like the idea but it could happen and Japan hasn’t got off to a good start.      

Also the JRU has stated that they want membership to SANZA, Tri-Nations and Super 14 and Japan needs NZ support to get anywhere near SANZA.

I think Japan will get over this and I wouldn't say there is a lot of ‘hatred’ between he the JRU and the IRB, it’s just Japan really thought they had 2011 in the bag and losing it came as a real shock and they extremely bitter over it and some of the things the Japanese media have said about New Zealand have been very spiteful and in bad sportsmanship.

I think this will all blow over, the JRU all retracted all calls for a re-vote and looks like they have put it behind them and are now focusing on 2015 which it what they should have done in the first place.

A lot depends on the competition, though. Japan, Argentina, Ireland and England as a bidding quarter would be pretty tasty.

Now that would be an interesting camapaign!

I could see Ireland and England splitting each other's natural support base, but the survivor picking up the votes of the first one out. Japan, of course, would be relying on sympathy but wouldn't have the England votes this time around. Argentina? Hmmm. I don;'t know if they could do it on their own _ maybe a joint bid with Uruguay and Chile, or maybe even with South Africa to snare their votes.

Really, if it did come down to a final of those four, I really couldn't pick the winner at this staage.

Well, Chile does have a small Rugby tradition _ though their most famous Rugby moment, I suppose, was when a Uruguayan team crashed in the Andes on their way to Santiago in the 1970s for a match and ended up as probably the world's most famous modern cannibals.

:) Steve-o is right in saying that Japan stands a good chance at hosting '15, even I have to admit that the JRU's tanty tantrum at losing is having an effect on the next outcome.  I only hope that a South American bid throws a spanner in the works.

The Japanese have always been an aggresive, ruthless and racist nation, hiding behind the veil of politeness and well to do manners.  China as a bone to pick with them, at it's comming soon...

Yeah, Alexjc seems to have a huge problem when it comes to Japan, with an opinion that really verges on times with attitudes from the 1940s.

Personally, I think Japan and Germany are countries that were so scarred by their experiences in WWII that it would be hard to find two more genuinely pacifist nations now.

Alex does sound like a boarder line racist….did you happen to vote national? lol :upside:

Japanese are great people....but there rugby union officials do come off a a bunch of wankers. hmmm reminds me of the NZRU before the 2003 RWC.

Alex does sound like a boarder line racist….did you happen to vote national? lol :upside:

:( I resent my comments being criticised as racist.  I have studied Japanese history and what I have said rings true.  They are not the second most powerfull economy in the world because they are pacifists, they have a drive and detirmination that leaves most nations in the West found wanting.

As for Japan's multi-cultural aspects, virtually nonexsistant outside novelty aspects, even former colonials of Japan's ruthless Imperial ambitions (Korea) are looked down on.

As for placing Germany beside Japan...Germany has said over and over again that they are Sorry,  Japan wishes that word never existed.

And yes I do vote for multi-cultural free thinking National. :P

Archived