Rugby World Cup 2015...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I predict New Zealand will host the 2015 Rugby world cup, followed by New Zealand again in 2019. Who's gonna host 2023? NZ maybe?

:wwww:  :wwww:  :wwww:

Ahh what the hey!! :D

2011 - New Zealand

2015 - Japan (Sth Korea as subbie)

2019 - Argentina (Uraguay as subbie)

2023 - England#

2027 - South Africa (Tanzania, Kenya as subbies)#

2031 - Italy, Romania, Croatia as co hosts

2035 - Australia

2039 - Canada and United States

2043 - Scotland and Ireland

2047 - New Zealand (Australia, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga*)

2051 - France

2055 - China

2059 - Egypt (Palestine, Isarel)

Can't really predict beyond the '50s, will probibly be gone by then.

# Later then predicted and England will get the FifaWC in '18, Cape Town the '20 SOGs.

* Depending on which Island nation qualifies, or still exists)

:) Would the Home Nations and SANZAR be willing to pass on 2015 to allow it to happen?

I doubt it _ self interest will always rule, and everybody likes the idea of a new frontier until it's their own country competing against the new frontier.

But maybe the IRB, after this outcry, will be stung into action as FIFA was by the 2006 decision _ and declare a bidding cycle only open to new frontiers bids (.

Porky Pig to Tower _ do I get clearance to land?)

Okay, here's my predictions:

2015 _ England (or Scotland/Ireland/Wales)

2019 _ Japan (finally!)

2023 _ South Africa

2027 _ Scotland/Ireland/Wales (or England)

2031 _ Australia

2035 _ USA/Canada

No point really in going further _ they're all a guess from the first anyway.

2007 - France

2011 - New Zealand

2015 - Japan (Come on, there is no way they won't get it after the back lash from 2011 although maybe it would be smart to cut all the criticism of the IRB.)

2019 - England

2023 - Argentina

2027 - South Africa

2031 - Italy

The critical question is could the IRB possibly turn Japan down twice?

I disagree....

I think that the critical questions are the following:

1) Does Japan still want to bid for the Rugby World Cup, are they still interested?

2) Does Japan want to waste more money on another bid?

I think the answer to both questions is NO.

(That's also why i think SA will host 2015, there'll be no England bid, as they'll be too busy concentrating on the world cup)

If Japan do bid, then they most probably will win 2015. The IRB has been heavily criticised for rejecting Japan in favour of NZ.

Practically no-one outside of New Zealand is happy with this decision.

On the whole,  people (non-New Zealanders that is ) are appauled with this decision- just like people were agry at FIFA for rejecting SA in favour of Germany.

The IRB would be under a serious amount of pressure to award japan 2015, if there was to be a Japanese bid.

The IRB would be under a serious amount of pressure to award japan 2015, if there was to be a Japanese bid.

:) Indeed!

But as you said, Japan would have to want them first.

Still, I believe that England, SA, and Argentina may put up bids as a claytons gesture.  Then drop away, one by one untill Japan gets through.

Still, 2011, when they announced that SA had dropped, I was already congratulating Japan as we ALL thought NZ was being used as the weak player.  New Zealanders were prepared and happy to be that if only to stop South Africa.

And then came that announcment...

:) Indeed!

But as you said, Japan would have to want them first.

Still, I believe that England, SA, and Argentina may put up bids as a claytons gesture.  Then drop away, one by one untill Japan gets through.

Still, 2011, when they announced that SA had dropped, I was already congratulating Japan as we ALL thought NZ was being used as the weak player.  New Zealanders were prepared and happy to be that if only to stop South Africa.

And then came that announcment...

But another major obstacle to a japanese bid for the 2015 rugby world cup is that it will be at the same time that japan is bidding for the 2016 olympic games.

It's looking almost definte that japan will bid for the 2016 olympics.

The decision as for both the 2016 SOG and 2015 RWC will be made in 2009.

I doubt whether Japan would want to bid for 2 sporting events simultaneously.

I think they'd be more interested in the 2016 SOG, especially if they're putting forward Tokyo as their candidiate city.

So this could be another reason why there may be no japanese bid for the 2015 RWC.

Well if Australia can host the Rugby World Cup 3 years after the 2000 Olympic Games and South Africa bid for the 2011 World Cup only just one year after hosting the 2010 Fifa World Cup I think Japan could handle the 2015 Rugby World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games. Remember hosting the Rugby World Cup would cost Japan a pittance, they already have the stadia and infrastructure t host any sporting event there is.

:) Japan's Olympic Games chances are slimmer for 2016 as the IOC would take into account that Asia hosted the 2008 games.  Also the USA would lead a Horth American charge for the right to host.

Hosting 2015 RWC would be a seperate issue, and Japan NOW stands a VERY good chance as host nation if it got up the courage to bid again.

Well if Australia can host the Rugby World Cup 3 years after the 2000 Olympic Games and South Africa bid for the 2011 World Cup only just one year after hosting the 2010 Fifa World Cup I think Japan could handle the 2015 Rugby World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games. Remember hosting the Rugby World Cup would cost Japan a pittance, they already have the stadia and infrastructure t host any sporting event there is.

Absolutely- of course Japan could cope with hosting both events, it's the world's 2nd richest country.

But Australia and SA already won the right to host the 2000 SOG and 2010 WC, then they bid fir the RWC,having achieved their primary goal already.

With Japan, it would be fighting a war on 2 frontiers. Also, the RWC bid could jeopardise their 2016 SOG bid.

The IOC could take the attitude "Japan's gonna get the 2015 RWC anyway, why should they be given the olympics also?"

I think this is maybe why Cape Town isn't gonna bid for the 2014 CG's as the IOC would take a similar attitude towards a 2016 SA olympic bid

Why does everyone seem to think that Scotland would have to share out games...or co-host with Ireland?

There are plenty stadiums in Scotland that are capable of hosting:

Murrayfield (Edinburgh) 67,000

New Hearts Stadium (Edinburgh) 30,000

Easter Road (Edinburgh) 30,000

New Aberdeen Stadium 30,000

Hampden Park (Glasgow) 55,000

Ibrox (Glasgow) 60,000

Celtic Park (Glasgow) 60,000

A new stadium in Dundee would have to be built

There is plenty of scope for Scotland to be a sole host...I'm also sure that the SRU would use the opportunity to expand Murrayfield to 75-80,000.

I think Edinburgh would make a stunning backdrop for the RWC Final in 2015.

:)

:) Scotland as sole hosts will have to depend on how many voting Home Nations unions would want that...

Stadia doen't seem to be an issue, but Geography does.  Would the IRB want to have a WC clustered around a tight knit area, or let alone three venues in one city.

I would like to see the NZRU try a stunt like that in the North Island for the 2011 Cup...eeek.

:) Scotland as sole hosts will have to depend on how many voting Home Nations unions would want that...

Yep, that's the key to it all _ mustering the votes, and i still think it would be more achievable if the celtic nations banded together to get it.

I'm sure England wouldn't be too happy to see Scotland as a sole host before they ever got to do it on their own.

It begs the question then _ would Ireland be capable of hosting on its own?

An all Ireland hosted World cup would be fantastic, and I guess it's slightly removed from the rest of the Home Unions area too.

Not sure about the grounds in Dublin but.

Say hullo to me Steve .....  :o

Well Lansdowne Road is being rebuilt but will only have a capacity of 55,000. There is always Croke Park but would the GAA would allow rugby to be played there?

What about outside Dublin _ surely the likes of Cork, Killarney, maybe even Galway must have some decent stadiums?

How keen would the IRB be on having three stadia in one city? I think that has to be a weakness.

Why...its not as if England football hooligans will be going to the games....rugby fans tend to be more mature...gross generalisation I know...but true all the same.

Scotland only has 4 main cities...Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee. The fact is that there is only 40 miles between Edinburgh and Glasgow anyway. Having matches in Aus where cities are thousands of miles apart seems to be more of a logistical turn-off than have to use three stadiums in one city IMO....and that didn't put the IRB off when Aus won the hosting rights for 2003.

As for the person who wrotye about England wanting to host on its own before other home nations will have a chance...doesn't that smack a bit of arrogance on the part of the RFU..... there is no unwritten rule which dictates that all events must be held in England first before farming them out to the poor wee fringe nations....I can start to see why Scotland wants nothing to do with the 2012 GB football teams if thats the atitude of yer average English sporting body. ???

Hang on a minute, that's a bit over the top.

I don't think anyone from the RFU has ever said England should host before any other home union. My argument is that England is in the best position logistically of the home unions to host at this time. Therefore, surely an England bid is the one with the best chance of success.

In order for Scotland to host the tournament, as with the European football championship, there needs to be substantial development of new stadia. It didn't happen and hasn't happened for the Euro 2008 bid and being realistic, their best chance of hosting 2015 would be a joint bid with either Wales or Ireland.

Besides which, aren't we jumping the gun a bit here? Has the SRU actually said they are interested in bidding yet?

And if the Scottish FA want to cut off their nose to spite their face about the 2012 GB football team, then more fool them.

I can start to see why Scotland wants nothing to do with the 2012 GB football teams if thats the atitude of yer average English sporting body. ???

Scotland and wales are against a Gb football team in 2012, saying it will compromise their national identity.

But i think one of the major issues is that are any Scotland and wales players actually good enough to be inculded in a GB football team.

Ryan Giggs comes to mind. Will he not have retired in 2012?

In all honesty, a GB football team would only include 2-3 non-English players.

Archived