Rugby World Cup 2015...

:) Now that the euphoria, elation and celebrations are dying down for RWC2011...

Who's game enough to take on, no doubt, a furious Japan as the next Host Nation in 2015.

My predictions for challengers against Japan are-

Argentina(prehaps with Uruaguay as sub-host)

South Africa

Scotland (naturally with help from Home Nations)

Italy (Romania and Croatia sub hosts)

The attitude that alternating hemispheres host could easily be ended by 2019 - USA and Canada could finally enter the parade.

Your thoughs and opinions GBers :help:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm, that is actually a tough one, as most of those nations have some positives.

It depends, if they wish to continue the hemispheral rotation system, which of course is certainly not a formal policy of the IRB but I guess more of a gentlemans agreement - then you have to look at Japan I guess.

Hopefully by the time the bids are brought forward, the JRFU will have actually pulled their fingers out of their arse and done something to develop the Game in their nation themselves to get abit of credability to a future bid.

However, if we didnt mind giving the South two world cups in a row, then Argentina baby.

Not only are they good rugby fans, but the Puma's at home would bring an extra element to the tournament. Provided they can provide the various assurances the IRB needs, I would be tempted to go their way.

As the years go on, South Africa's case to host again will grow, I think 95 was just abit too recent for my liking for 2011. They have to get the event again, but I think if you wanted to go back to back in the S Hemisphere, you wouldnt go for South Africa.

Scotland, well, they are of course yet to be granted the honour of being a *host union*, but unfortunately keep getting bit parts at other World Cups. Unfortunately for them, from memory, the Scottish hosted matches from 99 World Cup were seen as some of the more underwhelming events in that particular tournament.

Still, they are the next home union I want to get host union status.

As for Italy. An attractive option, and their team isn't *that* bad I guess.

So yup, they are another option.

Honestly, no idea really. lol.

I honestly don't see Japan going for 2015. Apart from their obvious disappointment, I just don't think we're going to see two consecutive WCs in the same (Oceania-Asia) time zone. No, next time around it's going to be the Euro-Africa time zone _ at a pinch, maybe, just maybe Argentina (but if Japan couldn't get it this time around, I'd rate the Argies' chances as bugger all to none), Canada or the USA.

South Africa's chances would be hit by the fact that it would be unlikely to give it to two SANZAR nations in a row, which really leaves the Six Nations again in the box seat. I'd like to see a Celtic Cup _ Scotland, Ireland and Wales _ but after being outmaoeuvred  for 2007 I'm sure England would make sure they have a stake in it that time as well (by 2015 England wouldn't have hosted any WC matches since 1999).

Yep, the Rugby Old Boys' Network really won big time last week. Not only did they avoid having to face the future for 2011, they have locked up the next one as well.

Honestly, the U.S. and Canada could never bid for the Rugby World Cup since the main stadia in the two are not big enough to have rugby pitches, no way that could happen.

Rugby Dimensions:

70m x 144m = 10080m Sq.

Soccer Dimensions:

130m x 100m = 13000m Sq.

note these are max dimensions

since all mahor stadiums in Canada and the USA can host soccer, they can host Rugby

so these means

Gillette Stadium

Giants Stadium

Lincolm Finacial field

Heinz Field

Bank of America Stadium

to name just a few in the USA

Commonwealth Stadium

BC Place

Rogers Centre

University of Laval Stadium

in Canada to name a few

so at least 100 stadiums in NA can host Rugby, where do the fock do you think we have are games when they are played here, God you so focking ignorant

:angry: Of course North America can host Rugby matches!!!

Canada and the New England states as well as California would make great hosts.

Dread the day when American Football players take off their helmets and get serious.

Honestly, the U.S. and Canada could never bid for the Rugby World Cup since the main stadia in the two are not big enough to have rugby pitches, no way that could happen.

Yep, funny that Canada seems to have the requisite stadiums to host next year's Women's Rugby World Cup.

I'd assume that the boys are able to play on the same grounds as the girls.

I hope 2015 goes to a new frontier. 2011 is going to an old rugby nation so it seems fair. Argentina, Japan and Italy are defiantly my favourites. Not too sure about Canada or United States, I don’t know enough about rugby in North America to judge.

Off topic but I just read that over 80% of the TV ratings for the 2003 RWC came from only three countries: Great Britain, New Zealand and Australia.

Off topic but I just read that over 80% of the TV ratings for the 2003 RWC came from only three countries: Great Britain, New Zealand and Australia.

:) All the more reason to grow the game on new frontiers!!!

not really off topic after all.

I hope 2015 goes to a new frontier. 2011 is going to an old rugby nation so it seems fair. Argentina, Japan and Italy are defiantly my favourites. Not too sure about Canada or United States, I don’t know enough about rugby in North America to judge.

it is extremely popular in much of Canada East and in New England, Eastern Seaboard area

most major universities play rugby and is apart of the culture since the French, English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh brought the game over not to mention both Canada and the USA have high numbers for native English, Scottish, Irish, South African, and Australian expats that still love the game. in fact one of the first recorded sports played here by Europeans is rugby

i would expect that a WC here would be positive, but it would be best as a dual host event and not just one hosting

it is extremely popular in much of Canada East and in New England, Eastern Seaboard area

most major universities play rugby and is apart of the culture since the French, English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh brought the game over not to mention both Canada and the USA have high numbers for native English, Scottish, Irish, South African, and Australian expats that still love the game. in fact one of the first recorded sports played here by Europeans is rugby

i would expect that a WC here would be positive, but it would be best as a dual host event and not just one hosting

Would you have any idea about how many spectators turn out to international test matches in Canada/USA?

i am not sure about the USA, but i know if Canada that matches against prominated countries like England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France have drawn about the same as a Leaf game so about 20,000, unfortunately most of the matches are played at Commonwealth stadium which neglects the Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver market

i am not sure about the USA, but i know if Canada that matches against prominated countries like England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France have drawn about the same as a Leaf game so about 20,000, unfortunately most of the matches are played at Commonwealth stadium which neglects the Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver market

Yeah, that's not too bad. I have family in Vancouver and my cousin was practically forced to play rugby for the high school. They had already put him down for the team before be had even arrived in Canada just because he was a kiwi. My uncle plays for a masters team which took out some national competition and there was only 2 Canadians in the team, the rest where expat kiwis and aussies.

:angry: Be warned those Nations that have criticised NZ winning the 2011RWC.

New Zealanders don't take it so well on the chin as our Australian brothers do...  If you find yourselves (and your team) with a crappy pool draw and your stadium seats rather sh#tty, you'll know why.

I'm actually quite disenheartened of any chance of the tournament moving beyond the traditional Rugby powers. If Japan couldn't manage it this time (and I don't see what's going to change _ without them hosting a WC _ to make them more of a Rugby power next time around), I don't see who could manage to break the power of the Old Boys network in the future.

The most adventurous they've been so far is France 2007 (adventurous only in terms of they don't speak English and they aren't Commonwealth) and France only managed it by stitching up sub-host deals with the Celtic countries _  without those deals we'd be looking at the third English hosting of the tournament in 2007. Unless Scotland and Ireland look to get payback from France to help snatch 2015, I'd say that tournament is inevitably heading back to England in that year.

If England hosts again, it should host alone. The France 2007 WC should've made use of Italy as a subbie.

Like many in the Rugby world, I am getting annoyed with rotational Home Union hosting rights while sharing games. Wales 1999 had to be the worst, at least England misses out on games this time.

Id'nt be surprised if NZ and Australia push Japan, at the expense of SA to win 2015.  SA will get Olympic bid support as a pay off.

The France 2007 WC should've made use of Italy as a subbie.

Totally agree!

Id'nt be surprised if NZ and Australia push Japan, at the expense of SA to win 2015.  SA will get Olympic bid support as a pay off.

But like i said earlier, I just don't see the WC going twice in a row to the East Asia-Oceania time zone. I reckon 2019 is Japan's next chance.

If England hosts again, it should host alone. The France 2007 WC should've made use of Italy as a subbie.

Like many in the Rugby world, I am getting annoyed with rotational Home Union hosting rights while sharing games. Wales 1999 had to be the worst, at least England misses out on games this time.

Absolutely spot on. I can't stand these types of tournaments. They are incredibly disjointed. I fear France 2007 will be just as bad.

Archived