Berlin 36: Film

So...unser Deutsche freunde...has any one of you seen 'Berlin 36':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUACQ4loj-U

I saw the above trailer a few months back and haven't heard much more about it since its release. It certainly looks good, up there in an attempt for authenticity with 'Das Wunder von Bern', and I'm hoping it gets a slot at the 2010 German Film Festival here in Oz.

Those shots of the Olympische Stadion look brilliant

• 2 months later...

Went and saw 'Berlin 36' at the German Film Festival on Saturday night and it wasn't all I had hoped. I guess you could say it was of a standard similar to a TV Movie of the week, with some extra dollars on effects for the Berlin stadium scenes. Karoline Herfurth was acceptable as Gretel Bergmann but I had some problems with Sebastian Urzendowsky as Marie Kettler. The pivotal plot point (i.e. Kettler was male) had one big historical flaw when depicted in the movie, and I think the movie failed with that element. On the other hand I was impressed with the general historical truth behind Tschammer von Osten's depiction and Nazi sports policy when it came to Jews (though no mention was made of Helene Mayer, the part-Jewish German fencer who was arguably the 'poster-girl' for the Nazi's appeasement of their foreign opponents). I also found Avery Brundage's characterisation fairly accurate.

So, if you haven't seen it and you have a chance I'd say go for it. 'Berlin 36' is no 'Chariots of Fire' or Das Wunder Von Bern', but it at least approaches its subject in an entertaining and moderately accurate manner.

Went and saw 'Berlin 36' at the German Film Festival on Saturday night and it wasn't all I had hoped. I guess you could say it was of a standard similar to a TV Movie of the week, with some extra dollars on effects for the Berlin stadium scenes. Karoline Herfurth was acceptable as Gretel Bergmann but I had some problems with Sebastian Urzendowsky as Marie Kettler. The pivotal plot point (i.e. Kettler was male) had one big historical flaw when depicted in the movie, and I think the movie failed with that element. On the other hand I was impressed with the general historical truth behind Tschammer von Osten's depiction and Nazi sports policy when it came to Jews (though no mention was made of Helene Mayer, the part-Jewish German fencer who was arguably the 'poster-girl' for the Nazi's appeasement of their foreign opponents). I also found Avery Brundage's characterisation fairly accurate.

So, if you haven't seen it and you have a chance I'd say go for it. 'Berlin 36' is no 'Chariots of Fire' or Das Wunder Von Bern', but it at least approaches its subject in an entertaining and moderately accurate manner.

How dare you put this in the General Discussion folder?!? This belongs in the Berlin 1936 folder!! :angry:

j/k. :D But hey, E, thanks for the review. And which reminds me..maybe I should check the local Goethe Haus's film listings to see if this thing will ever play here in the Bay Area.

Hey baron...was going to put the review in the 'Transgender Olympic nazi Scandal' folder but the Wily Old falangist's estate blocked that entry.

By the way hoping to see the following Hungarian movie about the 1956 Rising and the subsequent water polo battle at the Melbourne 56 Olympics soon:

Hey baron...was going to put the review in the 'Transgender Olympic nazi Scandal' folder but the Wily Old falangist's estate blocked that entry.

By the way hoping to see the following Hungarian movie about the 1956 Rising and the subsequent water polo battle at the Melbourne 56 Olympics soon

Hey Seb, always great to see you! Thought we'd have to wait to London 2012 for you to grace us again (or at least to the Soccer-Roo Bar Thread for the SAfrica WC).

Damn. I missed Berlin 36. And I saw it on the festival program just a fortnight ago, but had forgotten. And I don't work for Germans like I did this time last year, when I got freebie tickets for the festival.

Yeah, Children of Glory looks interesting - good find! Was watching "The Pacific" last week - not a bad reproduction they did of wartime Melbourne. Be good to see Melbourne's Olympic spotlight recreated on the big scren. I'd go to see Berlin 36 just for the effects recreation of the games.

Archived