England in Pakistan

arwebb

A tough series for England given the massive contrast in conditions to what they're used to, but they've started well, having reduced Pakistan to 244-6 on the opening day of the First Test in Multan after the home side had been 161-1.

All that without captain Michael Vaughan who sustained a knee injury in a warm-up game which rules him out of this game. Marcus Trescothick taking over the captaincy.

Play resumes in just under four hours time.

The First Test is well poised going into tomorrow's final day.

England need another 174 runs with nine wickets in hand after closing on 24-1. Earlier, Salman Butt's maiden Test hundred helped the home side to 341 all out.

I have to say I've been impressed by Butt in this match. Given Pakistan's recent problems with their opening pair, he has suggested he has what it takes to develop into a top-class opening batsman. I would also suggest Shoaib Malik is worth another look at the top of the order.

Trescothick has stayed with the squad and captain Michael Vaughan is fit again, but after blowing it badly in Multan, England are struggling again in the second Test in Faisalabad.

After two days at the Iqbal Stadium, England are 113-3 in reply to Pakistan's 462 all out and still need another 150 to avoid the follow-on. We've got a fight on our hands here.

Ah well, this should weed out those who jumped on the bandwagon after the Ashes and really know nothing about cricket.

Trescothick has stayed with the squad and captain Michael Vaughan is fit again, but after blowing it badly in Multan, England are struggling again in the second Test in Faisalabad.

After two days at the Iqbal Stadium, England are 113-3 in reply to Pakistan's 462 all out and still need another 150 to avoid the follow-on. We've got a fight on our hands here.

Ah well, this should weed out those who jumped on the bandwagon after the Ashes and really know nothing about cricket.

Aww! Bless you arwebb, you've been having a little cricketing conversation on your own here (well more of a commentary)!  

I just though I would add my twopenneth worth in here.  Well, it has certainly been eventful!  Dodgy decisions all around, gas cannisters exploding!  Nobody ever said it would be easy for them to travel to Pakistan and do well though, so I guess things could be worse.  

Personally, I think that this could give the England team a good kick up the *rse to forget the Ashes and get on with the real cricket now.  I always feared this would happen; too many accolades and all that!  I do think that they will have some success down there, as they have shown the signs.  They just need to get their act together a little bit more and get over the little hiccups they have had, like the injuries!

Archived