Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markun

Winter Games last minute withdrawals

I just read this on Wikipedia:

The 1994 Winter Games were the first following the implementation of stricter qualifying standards, which prevented representatives of developing countries from competing without meeting minimum standards. As a consequence, eleven "mostly warm-weather countries" signed up to participate in the Games, but were ultimately absent as none of their athletes succeeded in qualifying. The number of African athletes fell from nineteen in 1992 to three in 1994: Lamine Guèye of Senegal and two short-track speed skaters from South Africa. These rules were, however, not applied to bobsled events, enabling the United States Virgin Islands, Monaco, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica to compete in that sport.

Does anyone know which 11 NOCs pulled out of the 1994 Games? I know that happened with Tonga this year and I have seen lists including Malta and Gabon. Guinea were on initial lists for Nagano 1998 but didn't make it.

Does anyone know anything else about countries which intended to participate but ultimately couldn't make it?