Germany 2006 Fifa World Cup

Yesterday evening, the US Soccer Federation has named their roster for the 2006 World Cup:

Goalkeepers (3): Marcus Hahnemann (2006), Tim Howard (2006), Kasey Keller (1990, 1998, 2002, 2006)

Defenders (8): Carlos Bocanegra (2006), Steve Cherundolo (2002, 2006), Jimmy Conrad (2006), Cory Gibbs (2006), Frankie Hejduk (1998, 2002, 2006), Eddie Lewis (2002, 2006), Oguchi Onyewu (2006), Eddie Pope (1998, 2002, 2006)

Midfielders (8): DaMarcus Beasley (2002, 2006), Bobby Convey (2006), Clint Dempsey (2006), Landon Donovan (2002, 2006), Pablo Mastroeni (2002, 2006), John O’Brien (2002, 2006), Ben Olsen (2006), Claudio Reyna (1994, 1998, 2002, 2006)

Forwards (4): Brian Ching (2006), Eddie Johnson (2006), Brian McBride (1998, 2002, 2006), Josh Wolff (2002, 2006)

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With one month to go, any of us going to the football matches in Germany?

I'm really anticipating this. I'm rooting for Italy all the way. I might be a little biased since I'm Italian-Canadian.  :)

My choices in each group:

Group A

1.Germany

2.Costa Rica

3.Ecuador

4.Poland

Group B

1.Sweden

2.England

3.Paraguay

4.Trinidad & Tobago

Group C

1.Netherlands

2.Argentina

3.Cote d'Ivoire

4.Serbia & Montenegro

Group D

1.Portugal

2.Mexico

3.Iran

4.Angola

Group E

1.Italy

2.Czech Republic

3.USA

4.Ghana

Group F

1.Brazil

2.Japan

3.Croatia

4.Australia

Group G

1.France

2.Korea Republic

3.Switzerland

4.Togo

Group H

1.Spain

2.Tunisia

3.Ukraine

4.Saudi Arabia

• 2 weeks later...

I donnow if someone already said that but few days ago Nici, the society producing the puppets of the mascot of germany06wc, whose name is Goleo, has failed. It was designed by Jim henson, who created "the muppets". Nici said the failure is not because of the high price payed for the exclusive of the mascot. The society never declaired how many puppets of the official 06WC sold till now. The mascot has been recently attacked because it does not have any in common with the national german symbol, which is an eagle (in fact Goleo is a lion eheheh :laughlong: ).

BTW i think that mascot sucks. That lion talking with his ball is...very odd!!!  :suspect:

goleo1av.jpg

Euro 96 - Goaliath (the original and best!)  :cool:

ec1996ms.gif

World Cup 2006 - Goleo (ripped off - and couldn't they have given him a pair of shorts!)  :oo:

goleo1av.jpg

:P

America's attitude for the World Cup "not there?"

World Cup Fails To Fan US Football Fever

oh guardian.  Since it's not being done locally, we still go about our daily lives.  But once the Games start, the sports bars will be full, and the soccer circles will be watching all night and calling into the office sick the next day.  Of course, interest will wax or wane depending on how the US boys do.  But soccer interest is steadily growing in the country -- both in the men's and women's sides.  You should look at the numbers of soccer students in schools and camps.

Don't forget that when the World Cup was held here in 1994, the box-office attendance of those Games are still unbeaten by any succeeding World Cup even the last one held in 2 countries in some 18 stadia -- something some people are in total denial of.

America's attitude for the World Cup "not there?"

World Cup Fails To Fan US Football Fever

oh guardian.  Since it's not being done locally, we still go about our daily lives.  But once the Games start, the sports bars will be full, and the soccer circles will be watching all night and calling into the office sick the next day.  Of course, interest will wax or wane depending on how the US boys do.  But soccer interest is steadily growing in the country -- both in the men's and women's sides.  You should look at the numbers of soccer students in schools and camps.

Don't forget that when the World Cup was held here in 1994, the box-office attendance of those Games are still unbeaten by any succeeding World Cup even the last one held in 2 countries in some 18 stadia -- something some people are in total denial of.

I know that. However, that article is the BBC's words from whoever wrote it; not mine. When the time comes, the BBC will change its tune to some degree because it is the World Cup after all. One cannot just dismiss the American team outright. Of course, there is going to be lots of hype from all sides leading to the June 9 opening matches.

The last week for friendlies before the WC began:

Nashville, USA: UNITED STATES 0-1 MOROCCO

Vienna, AUT: AUSTRIA 1-4 CROATIA

Los Angeles, USA: ROMANIA 0-2 URUGUAY

Seoul, KOR: SOUTH KOREA 2-2 SENEGAL

Dublin, IRL: IRELAND 0-1 CHILE

Oslo, NOR: NORWAY 2-2 PARAGUAY

Next matches:

*May 25th

Ecuador vs. Colombia

Australia vs. Greece

Sweden vs. Finland

*May 26th

South Korea vs. Bosnia Herzegovina

Saudi Arabia vs. Czech Republic

Turkey vs. Ghana

*May 27th

United States vs. Venezuela

Germany vs. Luxembourg

Switzerland vs. Ivory Coast

Trinidad and Tobago vs. Wales

Portugal vs. Cape Verde

Denmark vs. Paraguay

Serbia/Montenegro vs. Uruguay

Netherlands vs. Cameroon

France vs. Mexico

Spain vs. Russia

The last week for friendlies before the WC began:

Nashville, USA: UNITED STATES 0-1 MOROCCO

Vienna, AUT: AUSTRIA 1-4 CROATIA

Los Angeles, USA: ROMANIA 0-2 URUGUAY

Seoul, KOR: SOUTH KOREA 2-2 SENEGAL

Dublin, IRL: IRELAND 0-1 CHILE

Oslo, NOR: NORWAY 2-2 PARAGUAY

Next matches:

*May 25th

Ecuador vs. Colombia

Australia vs. Greece

Sweden vs. Finland

*May 26th

South Korea vs. Bosnia Herzegovina

Saudi Arabia vs. Czech Republic

Turkey vs. Ghana

*May 27th

United States vs. Venezuela

Germany vs. Luxembourg

Switzerland vs. Ivory Coast

Trinidad and Tobago vs. Wales

Portugal vs. Cape Verde

Denmark vs. Paraguay

Serbia/Montenegro vs. Uruguay

Netherlands vs. Cameroon

France vs. Mexico

Spain vs. Russia

i do no that New Zealand plays brazil in a friendly in Switzerland before the World Cup

Well Australia is on track with a 1:0 result against the European Champions Greece in last nights friendly.

Beware of Australia - I still predict we will draw or win against Brazil in the Group matches and then everyone will stand up and realise how "under-achieving" Australia has been for the last 32 years (or how difficult it was made for Australia to make the 32 teams with the crazy qualification process we have had to endure)

Well Australia is on track with a 1:0 result against the European Champions Greece in last nights friendly.

Beware of Australia - I still predict we will draw or win against Brazil in the Group matches and then everyone will stand up and realise how "under-achieving" Australia has been for the last 32 years (or how difficult it was made for Australia to make the 32 teams with the crazy qualification process we have had to endure)

Yeah, you will finish first of your group and you will win the WC, no te jode! :D

All the luck to Australia, the team will need it very much.

Yea Good Luck Australia, the Kiwis will be supporting you! you need all the luck you can get, especially against Brazil

It's just an accomplishment for Australia to make it into the World Cup. I know they have a very hard process to qualify for the tournament.

yea it is extremely hard for a nation from oceania to qualify! they have to win the Oceania Championship and then Beat Teams from South America in order to qualify! But is is great to see a nation from my part of the world taking part!

I assume you mean the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof (main train station). Yeah, it looks pretty impressive _ huge glass roof etc. CAF took some pics as we passed through it last month.</font>

<font color='#000000'>Yes, it is this one. Thanks for the name. The BBC had a news clip about it recently.</font>

The new station is now open:

Major New Station Opens In Berlin

Archived