Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suit U Sir !!!

Germany 2006 Fifa World Cup

Can somebody get something straight here for me? The BBC was stating last week that one of the European Parliaments' issues was going to be about "forced" prostitution and Germany 2006?  ??? What in the world does this have to do with a FIFA tournament?

Can somebody get something straight here for me? The BBC was stating last week that one of the European Parliaments' issues was going to be about "forced" prostitution and Germany 2006?  ??? What in the world does this have to do with a FIFA tournament?

Mmmm...

Football World Cup -> A lot of visitors -> Most of them, men -> A lot of prostitutes.

So, they just want to regulate the prostitution in this "special season".

Mmmm...

Football World Cup -> A lot of visitors -> Most of them, men -> A lot of prostitutes.

So, they just want to regulate the prostitution in this "special season".

:laughlong: Anti-Prostitutional Football Season Commission

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I'll ask anyway.  Among the stadiums chosen for the World Cup, I was surprised to see the new LTU Arena in Dusseldorf was omitted.  Any specific reason why?  It's certainly one of the larger and newer stadiums in Germany.

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I'll ask anyway.  Among the stadiums chosen for the World Cup, I was surprised to see the new LTU Arena in Dusseldorf was omitted.  Any specific reason why?  It's certainly one of the larger and newer stadiums in Germany.

Because the stadiums in Cologne, Gelsenkirchen and Dortmund are bigger and these cities have more football tradition.

Seems fair enough to me. Did they bid to host any games?

Bremen, Möchengladbach, Leverkusen, Bochum and Düsseldorf wanted to host games, but the DFB left them out.

Gladbach, Leverkusen, Bochum and Düsseldorf have lost against Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund and Cologne.

Bremen had to fight against Hanover. But the city lost it because Hanover is the hometown of Gerhard Schröder, the German Federal Chancellor during the bidding phase.

Less than 2 months to go, right? In any case, it will be one big party for the German nation. By the way, what is that train station's name in Berlin that has train services almost all across Europe? I heard that the whole complex will open just before the World Cup begins.

Less than 2 months to go, right? In any case, it will be one big party for the German nation. By the way, what is that train station's name in Berlin that has train services almost all across Europe? I heard that the whole complex will open just before the World Cup begins.

I assume you mean the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof (main train station). Yeah, it looks pretty impressive _ huge glass roof etc. CAF took some pics as we passed through it last month.

Leverkusen? That ground only holds about 25,000, doesn't it?

Yes it is very small, but Bayer funded the WC-bid for the DFB.

I assume you mean the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof (main train station). Yeah, it looks pretty impressive _ huge glass roof etc. CAF took some pics as we passed through it last month.

Yes, it is this one. Thanks for the name. The BBC had a news clip about it recently.

By the way, what is that train station's name in Berlin that has train services almost all across Europe? I heard that the whole complex will open just before the World Cup begins.

Berlin Hauptbahnhof/Main Station

The world's oldest football is being sent to Germany for the World Cup.  The 450-year-old ball will form the centrepiece of an exhibition on the history of the sport. The ball was once the property of Mary Queen of Scots and museum bosses in Germany were keen to display it after deeming it the oldest in existence.

Imagine that, Mary Queen of Scots playing football!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/taysid...ral/4943664.stm

Zinedine Zidane, Real Madrid player and French National Team player has announced he won't play football anymore after WC Germany 2006!!  :shocked:

German football legend Lothar Matthaus has tipped England to beat the 2006 World Cup hosts if they meet in the tournament's knockout stages.  Germany could face England or Sweden in the last 16 if they progress.  Matthaus, who was West Germany's 1990 World Cup winning captain, said: "I think Germany will get past the first round as they have an easy group.  "But England or Sweden are likely to be the next opponents in the last 16 and I think that could be a bridge too far."

"England are my favourites from Europe. They have great players - Wayne Rooney could be the outstanding young player of the World Cup, and then there is Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and David Beckham."

Matthaus also predicted Brazil's defence would be too weak to allow them to capture a sixth World Cup.

"I would say Argentina are the strongest team outside Europe. As a team they are very compact, and have very good players all round."

- It's nice to hear but I don't actually think that Germany will go out of the tournament in the second round.  Although they have a very low Fifa ranking at the moment, Germany always seem to do well in the big events, especially the World Cup, and of course they are on home soil - that must be a huge advantage.  

If Germany meet England in the second round I obviously hope Germany go out, but it's usually a shame for the host nation to leave the competition at an early stage (even Germany) - I hope they meet Sweden!

I'm also mindful of 'experts' talking up England's chances.....I remember previous heavily tipped teams going out in the first round of World Cups, Pele backing Columbia to go far in 1998 for example; they were knocked out in the first round.

Full article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...006/4947882.stm

For me the favourites are Germany  :oops: and Brazil, as last winner.

For me the favourites are Germany  :oops: and Brazil, as last winner.

I agree that both those teams will be formidable opponents and neither can ever be discounted - particularly in a World Cup.  However, Germany really haven't been doing well lately and Brazil may suffer because history shows us that European World Cups have almost always been won by European teams.

Brazil are the only country to have won the World Cup outside their own continent (in Sweden in 1958 and Japan and Korea in 2002).

They are the obvious favourites, with Argentina, Italy and, I have to say it, England having real chances.

Of the other major players, I think France may be too heavily reliant on their old stars. Germany will benefit from home support, but you need much more to go close in a World Cup and I'm just not sure about Spain.

For me, the thing is between Brazil, Germany and England. I don't know why but I have the feeling that the three countries will reach to the semifinals with the Czech Republic.

Anyway, I only want Korea, Japan, the US and Argentina eliminated in first round: Korea and Japan, to prove that their success in the 2002 WC was just because they were hosters, Argentina because I hate them xD and the US, just because I wanna make fun of it with Baron   :;): . Ah! And Serbia and Australia to the round of 16 at least.

Anyway, I only want Korea, Japan, the US and Brazil eliminated in first round: Korea and Japan, to prove that their success in the 2002 WC was just because they were hosters, Brazil because I hate them xD and the US, just because I wanna make fun of it with Baron  

Me too! :wwww:

Home support can only get you so far. I just can't see Germany being good enough to go close.