Germany 2006 Fifa World Cup

So, which South American team should Australia want to compete against in a play-off match?

World Cup Drama In South America

I haven't been following any of this, but if I had to take a guess then would say Colombia.  Who would you suggest?

I would guess Uruguay as I think there is a chance Uruguay, Chile, and Colombia may all lose their final matches (URU vs. Argentina, CHI vs. Ecuador, and COL vs. Paraguay) and Uruguay could win the final playoff spot with the one point they already have.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweden beated 3:1 to Iceland and qualified for the World Cup as the best second. Congratulations to the Swedish people.

Also, Czech Republic, Norway and Turkey have already in the play-offs. Denmark, Romania and Greece are out of Germany 2006.

Sweden beated 3:1 to Iceland and qualified for the World Cup as the best second. Congratulations to the Swedish people.

Also, Czech Republic, Norway and Turkey have already in the play-offs. Denmark, Romania and Greece are out of Germany 2006.

What will that do to Greece - I guess a lot of Greek supporters expected qualification after their great triumph in Euro 2004

Serbia and Montenegro qualified and Spain go to the play offs.

Bosnia-Herzegovina, Lithuania, Belgium and San Marino don't go to Germany 2006. :)

so Sweden, Serbia and Montenagro and France are through to the finals

Switzerland, Norway, Spain, Turkey, the Czech Republic and Slovakia are in the playoffs - my hopefuly draw

Norway vs Switzerland

Spain vs Czech Republic

Slovakia vs Turkey

bold indicates who i wish to win

Denmark, Slovenia, Russia and Belgium have all taken a back sit for next years WC

I'm so damn happy that we won. All Turkish fans were bitting their nails up until the last minture and at the end we won.  :wwww:

We still are not out of the woods just yet. I have no idea who we will face but hopefully that it wont be that difficult seeing that we have survived out of the group of death.  :)

so Sweden, Serbia and Montenagro and France are through to the finals

Switzerland, Norway, Spain, Turkey, the Czech Republic and Slovakia are in the playoffs - my hopefuly draw

Norway vs Switzerland

Spain vs Czech Republic

Slovakia vs Turkey

bold indicates who i wish to win

Denmark, Slovenia, Russia and Belgium have all taken a back sit for next years WC

I've heard the 3 best teams according to the FIFA ranking will be seeded for the play-offs. If this is true the 2 pots will be:

Pot A

04. Czech Republic - 777 points

08. Spain - 750 points

12. Turkey - 731 points

Pot B

37. Norway - 647 points

38. Switzerland - 643 points

45. Slovakia - 613 points

This would make a Spain - Czech Republic game impossible

I want Spain, Czech Rep. and Switzerland in Germany.

Also... The Asian qualified for the playoffs is BAHREIN... They would get the pass for Germany against Guatemala or Trinidad & Tobago...

I think the play-offs are totally stupid... you can't compare Australia vs. Uru/Col/Chi with Bahrein vs. Guatemala... in the first case, the fourth teams deserves to participate in the WC... in the other, the winner should pray that they can surpass the 30th place of the World Cup and they didn't lose by 10-1 and broke a record. I think it's totally unfair and I think the most obvius solution would have been an Asia/Pacific playoff (Australia vs. Bahrein) and an Americas playoff (CONCACAF vs. CONMEBOL).

Also... The Asian qualified for the playoffs is BAHREIN... They would get the pass for Germany against

I think the play-offs are totally stupid... you can't compare Australia vs. Uru/Col/Chi with Bahrein vs. Guatemala... in the first case, the fourth teams deserves to participate in the WC... in the other, the winner should pray that they can surpass the 30th place of the World Cup and they didn't lose by 10-1 and broke a record. I think it's totally unfair and I think the most obvius solution would have been an Asia/Pacific playoff (Australia vs. Bahrein) and an Americas playoff (CONCACAF vs. CONMEBOL).

Kratk - I don't understand you!  

Guatemala or Trinidad & Tobago WILL PLAY AGAIMNT AUSTRALIA SURELY!.

Sorry for the caps

Also... The Asian qualified for the playoffs is BAHREIN... They would get the pass for Germany against

Sorry for the caps

I pretty well agree with you Kratk. Oh well, at least Australia won'tm have to go through that in future _ it'll be qualifying directly through Asia (as long as they're good enough) from now on after the 2006 tournament ends.

Sorry for the caps

Wrong...

Australia (winner of AFC) will play with the fifth of CONMEBOL (at this moment, Colombia)

and

Bahrein ("fifth" of AFC) will play with the fourth of CONCACAF (at this moment, Trinidad & Tobago).

So I thought that it would be fairest that the playoffs were Australia-Bahrein and Colombia-T&T... because Australia and any of the Southamericans are much better than Bahrein and T&T... did you understand me now?

The results at this moment in CONCACAF and CONMEBOL

Uruguay 0:0 Argentina

Chile 0:0 Ecuador

Paraguay 0:1 Colombia

Brazil 1:0 Venezuela

Peru 1:0 Bolivia

USA 2:0 Panama

Trinidad and Tobago 2:1 Mexico

Guatemala 3:1 Costa Rica

Trinidad and Tobago have beaten Mexico 2:1 and will fave Bahrain for one of the spots in the WC - i am really hoping T&T make it, seeing as they will provide some interesting colour to the event like Jamaica did in '98

its also looking like Uruguay will be the play-off winner from South America - in this case i would rather see a new team in Australia go through, but if Colombia or Chile take the play-off i would much rather see them

Are the play-offs 2 home games played reciprocally -- meaning 1 game in Bahrain and the other in T&T, etc.?  Or is it just one game held in a neutral site?

The playoffs:

November 12, 2005

Trinidad and Tobago - Bahrain (Port-Spain)

Uruguay - Australia (Centenario St., Montevideo)

November 16, 2005

Bahrain - Trinidad and Tobago (Manama)

Australia - Uruguay (Telstra St., Sydney)

Chile is 0:0 and there are few minutes... Ecuador has 9 defensors so we have no chance... besides, all the "impossible" matches and the criticized results of a probably cheating are real: Uruguay and Colombia are beating Argentina and Paraguay by 1:0. With this, Uruguay is qualifying.

We don't lose the qualifies now... we lose the qualifies months ago and the "miracle of Barranquilla" just give us a light that the reality turn off. We'll see you in South Africa 2010.

Congratulations Spain then Mikel - I knew you had it in you! :D  

England beat Poland too so we won the group - excellent - it's not the result that's the most pleasing - it's the performance  :grinning:

Was England just playing the match for the performance or was it trying to get the "best seed" possible for Germany 2006?

Well, I just looked at one BBC sports article and, according to it, 24 have qualified for Germany 2006 with 8 more to be decided. For some of us, here is the list of nations who qualified so far:

Germany (host nation)

Argentina

Japan

Iran

South Korea

Saudi Arabia

Ukraine

USA

Brazil

Mexico

Angola

Togo

Ghana

Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire)

Netherlands

Poland

England

Croatia

Italy

Tunisia

Portugal

Ecuador

Paraguay

Let's add to the list here:

Costa Rica

France

Sweden

Serbia & Montenegro

That makes 28 now. 4 more to fill.

The playoffs so far that must be played for a World Cup spot:

Uruguay vs. Australia

Bahrain vs. Trinidad & Tobago

So Greece have failed to qualify for the 2006 world cup.....this so proves that their Euro 2004 victory was nothing more than a fluke.....

The bubble has burst for them.

To me, they were the best team in the two weeks of the tournament (Euro 2004), but don't seem to have the strength in depth to sustain that form over a whole qualifying campaign, especially in a group as tricky as theirs.

Calling it a fluke is hugely unfair.

Archived