Germany 2006 Fifa World Cup

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm being a bit of an anorak, but at least I have never contributed to the next 100 years of Summer Olympics post (yet).  I have just calculated how I think next years world cup will progress:

GROUP STAGE

A. Germany, Poland, Ecuador, Costa Rica

B. England, Sweden, Trinidad & Tobago, Paraguay

C. Netherlands, Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro, Cote d'Ivoire

D. Portugal, Mexico, Iran, Angola

E. Czech Rep, Italy, United States, Ghana

F. Brazil, Croatia, Japan, Australia

G. France, Switzerland, S. Korea, Togo

H. Ukraine, Spain, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia

LAST 16

Germany vs Sweden

England vs Poland

Netherlands vs Mexico

Portugal vs Argentina

Czech Rep vs Croatia

Brazil vs Italy

France vs Spain

Switzerland vs Ukraine

QUARTERS

Germany vs Netherlands

England vs Argentina

Czech Rep vs France

Brazil vs Ukraine

SEMIS

Germany vs England

Czech Rep vs Brazil

THIRD PLACE

England vs Czech Rep

FINAL

Germany vs Brazil

Final Top Four: 4 - Czech Rep, 3 - England, 2 - Germany, winners - Brazil

What's your opinion - other than the fact I have far too much time on my hands this evening!

if Germany can get their front going, pretty much any combo of Frings, Deisler, Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Asamoah, Klose, Kuranyi, or Podolski going (best would be Ballack Schweinsteiger, Asamoah, Klose and Podolshi), than they should be fine into the quaters - semis could be a problem

i just hope that the dumbarse of a coach doesn't make the same mistake as last time, relaying on Kuranyi - the guys a douch - go with Klose and Podolski with Asamoah as the backup.

To be honest if there was no home advantage for Germany I would have eliminated them in the quarter finals against Holland, however, I think the advantage will see them progress past Holland and unfortunately England (though any other time I would back England with the present teams) - it would probably be one of those awful matches that our nations have against each other that go down to penalties!

I was debating whether Brazilian players should have vomiting fits before the game, as in France, so maybe history will repeat itself and Brazil will lose to the host nation (which in my view would be unfortunate because though Germany has had some iconic teams I don't think this is one of them).

Germany is a team built for 2010, which is unfortunate, since South Africa should have gotten this world cup and Germany the next.

Germany has a far few beautiful players, and it would be nice to see Kahn and Ballack get the hardware they desire. I am a huge Germany fan, and actually have my Germany scarf i have from 2002 hanging in my locker (to the annoyance of the Polish, Dutch and Jewish people at my school, they actually complained about it, too)

i want Germany to do well, and know with this team that a semi-finals finish would be the best possible result. Though i would think that Germany is the only team that could beat Brazil in the final, considering it is the only big team that can match Brazil right now in completely doing away with defense and just trying to outscore each other, the Dutch, Czechs, English, Italians and Argentines are all built on a backbone of defense, and won't be able to beat Brazil in an offense showdown. Though i predict an early exit for Brazil and either a English or German win. I am also deeply disappointed that Sweden, Poland, England and Germany will have to face each other in the round of 16 - its unfortunate that such great rivalry and play are to done away with so early on in the tournement

I agree completely, it seems unfair looking at the groups that some sides will go further than the better teams - but this happens in every world cup, you don't always get the result you deserve - thats why football can be so painful and unpredictable, but also exciting.  Germany has a huge advantage at home and I hope they do well for all the fans there until England knock them out in the semi-finals :wink: .

I am already worried about our result with Sweden, I would rather meet Germany in the semis than have one of these giants of the game to have to leave in the second round.

A Germany, Poland

B England, Sweden

C Holland, Argentina

D Portugal, Mexico

E Czech Republic, Italy

F Brazil, Croatia

G France, South Korea

H Ukraine, Spain

so....

1 GERMANY v Sweden

2 HOLLAND v Mexico

3 ENGLAND v Poland

4 Portugal v ARGENTINA

5 CZECH REPUBLIC v Croatia

6 France v SPAIN

7 BRAZIL v Italy

8 UKRAINE v S. Korea

then...

A Germany v HOLLAND

B CZECH REPUBLIC v Spain

C ENGLAND v Argentina

D BRAZIL v Ukraine

now it's getting serious...

I HOLLAND v Czech Republic

II  England v BRAZIL  

And the final....

Holland v BRAZIL

Let's not forget everyone's favourite, the 3rd place play off...

ENGLAND v Czech Republic

A. Germany, Poland

B. England, Sweden

C. Argentina, Netherlands

D. Mexico, Portugal

E. Italy, Czech Republic

F. Brazil, Croatia

G. France, Switzerland

H. Spain, Ukraine

Then...

1. GERMANY vs. Sweden

2. ARGENTINA vs. Portugal

3. ITALY vs. Croatia

4. France vs. SPAIN

5. ENGLAND vs. Polands

6. Mexico vs. NETHERLANDS

7. BRAZIL vs. Czech Republic

8. UKRAINE vs. Switzerland

Quarters

1. GERMANY vs. Argentina

2. Italy vs. SPAIN

3. ENGLAND vs. Netherlands

4. BRAZIL vs. Ukraine

Semifinals

1. GERMANY vs. Spain

2. England vs. BRAZIL

3rd and 4th

2. Spain vs. ENGLAND

Final

1. GERMANY vs. Brazil

:)

A. Germany, Poland

B. England, Sweden

C. Argentina, Netherlands

D. Mexico, Portugal

E. Italy, Czech Republic

F. Brazil, Croatia

G. France, Switzerland

H. Spain, Ukraine

Then...

1. GERMANY vs. Sweden

2. ARGENTINA vs. Portugal

3. ITALY vs. Croatia

4. France vs. SPAIN

5. ENGLAND vs. Polands

6. Mexico vs. NETHERLANDS

7. BRAZIL vs. Czech Republic

8. UKRAINE vs. Switzerland

Quarters

1. GERMANY vs. Argentina

2. Italy vs. SPAIN

3. ENGLAND vs. Netherlands

4. BRAZIL vs. Ukraine

Semifinals

1. GERMANY vs. Spain

2. England vs. BRAZIL

3rd and 4th

2. Spain vs. ENGLAND

Final

1. GERMANY vs. Brazil

:)

it would be England - Germany, Spain - Brazil, can't be the other way

Who has the best or worst behaved fans at the moment?  I know Tutkey has had a few problems lately but they won't be there.  Sven has sensibly asked for a provacative chant to be removed from the England's fans reportoir but apparently there are very few cases of football related trouble involving the country anymore - thank goodness.  Cities hosting England matches used to dread it, is this still the case now or have the views of people changed on this matter?

Sven appeals over war chant

Spain has to be 2nd of group if we don't want to play against Brazil in quarter of finals... :oh:

The 1st of Group H will play against the 2nd of Group G on 27th of June in Hannover. And then the winner of this match will play against the winner of the match 1st F-2nd E on 1st July...

In fact the 1st of Group G will play agaisnt the 2nd of Group H on 26th of June in Cologne. And then the winner of this match will play against the winner of the match 1st E-2nd F on 30th June.

So, Spain has to finish 2nd of the Group H. :)

Spain has to be 2nd of group if we don't want to play against Brazil in quarter of finals... :oh:

The 1st of Group H will play against the 2nd of Group G on 27th of June in Hannover. And then the winner of this match will play against the winner of the match 1st F-2nd E on 1st July...

In fact the 1st of Group G will play agaisnt the 2nd of Group H on 26th of June in Cologne. And then the winner of this match will play against the winner of the match 1st E-2nd F on 30th June.

So, Spain has to finish 2nd of the Group H. :)

Does Spain have any chance of providing us a decent performance in Germany?  :sleepy:

Spain are the constant under-performers in world football despite having had some spectacular footballers in the past.  Each World Cup and European Championship I seem to wait for a Spanish breakthrough that never happens - oh well, maybe 2006.

Spain are the constant under-performers in world football despite having had some spectacular footballers in the past.  Each World Cup and European Championship I seem to wait for a Spanish breakthrough that never happens - oh well, maybe 2006.

I don't know what happens with us  :Oo: We've a good team, with good players, one of the best football leagues but the bad luck is always with us, too. :oh:

well since England is playing in Frankfurt, Nuremberg and Koln, there is little possiblity for them to misbehave in the first round.

If the thugs get over there, it can happen anywhere.

Perhaps we should talk about other nations as well, Faster. Or are we just being anti-English?

Spain are the constant under-performers in world football

You're right, but remember in 2002 Spain were robbed of a quarter final place, after biased/ poor refereeing which favoured hosts South Korea.

The ball was clearly in and was ruled out 3 times by linesmen, which contributed to S.Korea's victory against Spain.

Similar stuff happened in S.Korea's quarter final against italy, and then for the semi-final they got italian Corina (not sure if that's how it's spelt) to referee the S.Korea vs Germany match.

Had it have not been for the biased/ very poor quality lines men/ referees we would have had a spectacular Italy vs. Spain quarter final followed by a semi-final consisting of Italy/Spain against Germany.

What a shame.....

Spain are the constant under-performers in world football

You're right, but remember in 2002 Spain were robbed of a quarter final place, after biased/ poor refereeing which favoured hosts South Korea.

The ball was clearly in and was ruled out 3 times by linesmen, which contributed to S.Korea's victory against Spain.

Similar stuff happened in S.Korea's quarter final against italy, and then for the semi-final they got italian Corina (not sure if that's how it's spelt) to referee the S.Korea vs Germany match.

Had it have not been for the biased/ very poor quality lines men/ referees we would have had a spectacular Italy vs. Spain quarter final followed by a semi-final consisting of Italy/Spain against Germany.

What a shame.....

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

The stole us! :suspect: We had three 'null' (referees version) goals!!! :rolleyes:

South Korea = petty thieves :glare:

You can't blame the Korean team for the decisions of the officials.

The FIFA only wanted to win more money with the tickets... :rolleyes:

Archived