Worst Performing Ex-Powerhouse Team in Vancouver?

I'd say that Italy has been the most disappointing so far, although when you look at the event line-up they have a pretty good chance to redeem themselves. Finland better land a gold after Turin, going two WOG without a gold would be devastating. As for Japan, well they have been falling since there hour of glory in 1998. Now they

I'd say that Italy has been the most disappointing so far, although when you look at the event line-up they have a pretty good chance to redeem themselves. Finland better land a gold after Turin, going two WOG without a gold would be devastating. As for Japan, well they have been falling since there hour of glory in 1998. Japan has fallen behind both China and South Korea, and it looks like they will also fall behind Kazakhstan by the time 2014 comes.

I think with the Austrians they are sitting right now where the Swiss were in Torino, with respect to downhill skiing.

As for the Finns, the issue of whether they have mountains or not is actually inconsequential, considering their success has been in sports like biathlon, cross country and ski jumping. In the first two sports Germany, Norway and Russia are surging ahead of the Finns, whilst in ski jumping Amman's dual gold s for Switzerland has certainly paused the Finnish gold rush in that sport.

Yes, Italy is kinda disappointing so far but it shouldn't be a big surprise.

After the 90's golden age and Salt Lake Italy got a descending course. Torino obviously limited it but now in Vancouver it comes more in evidence.

I think Coni should start being more selective and focus on some disciplines rather than spread out money and energies wherever.

Look at the Koreans for example.. although they're not a general powerhouse, they climb the medal table.

Yes, Italy is kinda disappointing so far but it shouldn't be a big surprise.

After the 90's golden age and Salt Lake Italy got a descending course. Torino obviously limited it but now in Vancouver it comes more in evidence.

I think Coni should start being more selective and focus on some disciplines rather than spread out money and energies wherever.

Look at the Koreans for example.. although they're not a general powerhouse, they climb the medal table.

So where should CONI invest the Euros Rei? I'd think cross country skiing, downhill and maybe the sliding sports would be the most appropriate in that these are the sports at the OWGs that Italians have had most success in.

I think CONI should also spend more in Speed Skating. I mean, despite two golds in Turin the long track speed skating the team trains in an outdoor oval, which is rather sad.

I think CONI should also spend more in Speed Skating. I mean, despite two golds in Turin the long track speed skating the team trains in an outdoor oval, which is rather sad.

what's the use of oval lingotto right now? what was the intended legacy of that oval?

what's the use of oval lingotto right now? what was the intended legacy of that oval?

It's a dynamic structure so it can hosts different events. Trade fairs for the most but also major sport events like the 2009 Euro athletics indoor.

So where should CONI invest the Euros Rei? I'd think cross country skiing, downhill and maybe the sliding sports would be the most appropriate in that these are the sports at the OWGs that Italians have had most success in.

Agreed.. and also luge and ice sports which have considerably grown in recent yaers.

I would definetely NOT much insist on Curling, Hockey and may be the Jumping.

What about Russia? I expected them to have done better up to this point...

They're not striking the Golds as much, but their total medal count isn't too shabby so far. There's depth there. It's gonna be, hmmmmmmm, interesting to see what results on the table in Sochi.

Did they ever release that list of 30 they announced just before the start who were prevented from going to the games.

Not sure but it is known that 6 Russian athletes tested positive and were allowed to compete. I do not trust any of the Russian cross-country or biathlon results.

Nice article on Russia's performance and 2014 hopes from Britain's Telegraph:

Winter Olympics 2010: Russia's poor medal show in Vancouver turns up heat for Sochi

Forget the drama of the Canadians' failed 110 million Canadian dollar 'Own the Podium' programme, it is the Russians, and the other members of the old Soviet Union, that are feeling the pressure for medals at the Sochi Winter Olympic Games in four years' time.

For Russia have not had the success they wanted in Vancouver and the might of the Russian Bear has awoken from its slumber and growling.

Even though the women’s relay biathlon team pipped France to gold on Tuesday night, the Russians are still barely holding their own in the top 10 of the medal table.

he Russian quad-spinning Evgeni Plushenko got silver, in the men's figure skating, prompting Russians to make accusation of western bias that it wasn't gold, and the ice dance world champions, Maxim Shabalin and Oksana Domnina, who outraged Australian aborigines with their cultural costumes, finished third.

In the pairs skating there was an absence of Russian or former Soviet presence on the dais – the first time in 46 years.

Russian leaders had successfully argued during the 2016 Winter Games bid that the country needed to host the Games in Sochi to bring about massive reinvestment in sport following the break up of the Soviet Union.

"I think we need to take all the Russian coaches back to Russia,'' said Shabalin, when asked how Russia could recapture their leading position on the ice.

The Russian officials have been trying to boost their athletic prowess by making overtures to talented Russian-born athletes who are representing other countries.

Former European champion speed skater Tatiana Borodulina is from Siberia and moved to Brisbane several years ago but has revealed she has been offered some alluring opportunities to return to Russia. "A house, some money, a husband,'' Borodulina said as she ticked off the inducements one by one.

Sochi organising committee president Dmitry Chemyshenko told a Vancouver breakfast gathering that Russia had a similar medal-boosting programme to Canada's 'Own the Podium'.

"We are looking forward to returning to our former [premier] position,'' Chemyshenko said. He said he wanted to create a unique atmosphere in Russia where everyone was enjoying the Games.

This comes after the Russian deputy prime minister, Anton Zhukov, admitted that the Vancouver Olympics had been disappointing. "Our athletes have not enjoyed as much success as we would've hoped,'' Zhukov said.

Meanwhile, other nations of the former Soviet Union are also facing their difficulties.

In the men's aerials, the Belarussian world leader Anton Kushnir, victor of five World Cup events this season, posted the best score in the first jump but a poor landing in the slushy snow on his second jump saw him fail to make the final 12. His entourage were in disbelief.

Before the competition Kushnir spoke of the mental pressure.

He said: "For me, it doesn't matter what other people are doing. If I do a mistake, it's my mistake, it's not the fault of another guy."

Daily Telegraph

Nice article on Russia's performance and 2014 hopes from Britain's Telegraph:

Interesting reading from what I would usually consider the lesser of the two Australian print networks. And no doubt the ex-Soviet success has become a fading memory as the Russians etc distance themselves from such institutionalised Olympic sports 'factories' of that era.

Maybe they need to look at how their female tennis players have come to dominate that sport as the basic model, plus as cited claim back both coaches and some expats. Of course in the 70s and 80s it was a far less even playing field, and the USSR along with the DDR, USA dominated in all Olympic sports. Now the mix is more varied (plus China is the elephant in the Olympic room).

No doubt the countries that must be really hurting right now are Finland and Japan. No golds for either...ouch!

Speaking of which, I think once caught doping you lose the right to compete in the Olympics period. No waiting period, notta, you get caught, you are out for life.

Finland is disastrous, by far the worst performance by a winter power at these games.

Speaking of which, I think once caught doping you lose the right to compete in the Olympics period. No waiting period, notta, you get caught, you are out for life.

Finland is disastrous, by far the worst performance by a winter power at these games.

Yesterday was a banner day for the Finns...two bronze medals. So now they can sleep a little easier back in Helsinki.

Methinks the Kazakhs though will need some mogadon or cerapax to calm them down in case they go feral on their team...

Yesterday was a banner day for the Finns...two bronze medals. So now they can sleep a little easier back in Helsinki.

No, they don't sleep easier in Helsinki. The Finnish newspapers still calls these Games a "fiasco Games", they have been a total disaster for Finland.

The same for Italy.

Okay, we can scratch Italy off the list now, as they finally have a gold thanks to Guiliano Razzoni. And Poland who may have been on the cusp are off the hook thanks to Justyna Kowalczyk. That leaves Finland and Japan as the holders of 'the where did it go wrong in Vancouver plasticene medal'.