When does the bidding begin for U.S. Television rights

OneTimeOnly

So when does the bidding begin for the rights to broadcast the Olympic Games in the United States for 2014, 2016 and beyond? And when will be know who the winning broadcaster will be?

Negotiations for the 2014-to-2016 rights had started last year, but were put on hold until later this year now.

Here is a report from the Sporting News that discusses the nature of TV rights I thought you all would like to read!

IOC Gets Cool Reception for 2014-16 U.S. TV Rights

In it, its being reported that NBC is has lost $200 million for the Vancouver Games. Despite NBC bidding $2 billion before the 2002 Salt Lake Games, it seems from this article potential suitors are limited to ESPN and NBC, which would make the bidding significantly less.

Here is a report from the Sporting News that discusses the nature of TV rights I thought you all would like to read!

In it, its being reported that NBC is has lost $200 million for the Vancouver Games. Despite NBC bidding $2 billion before the 2002 Salt Lake Games, it seems from this article potential suitors are limited to ESPN and NBC, which would make the bidding significantly less.

Hey thanks for that informative article!

i'm confused. the article said that nbc paid 2.1b for vancouver & london in the beginning, then went on to cite a 2.1b figure for vancouver and beijing. ??

Yes, CBS has great on demand content for NCAA, and it is necessary as most people are working, and not near a TV (but near a computer) during the heat of the tournament.

I hope NBC makes some adjustments to their model and takes the lead from CBS for their online content in 2012. I think the only time to commend NBC for on demand internet media was during the "Live 8" concerts streamed from around the world.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if ABC/ESPN wins the bid, but I definitely don't want FOX or Turner to win, which is extremely unlikely to begin with. Due to litigation settlements News Corp. is really strapped for cash as is.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if ABC/ESPN wins the bid, but I definitely don't want FOX or Turner to win, which is extremely unlikely to begin with. Due to litigation settlements News Corp. is really strapped for cash as is.

yeah, you think the jingoism is bad with nbc...

but i mean you never know. sometimes i wonder if news corp is in business to make money or because they enjoy the power of media. (i mean, the NY post anyone?) and you certainly have the country's attention when you broadcast the olympics.

Archived