Canada's Medals

How Many  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How Many

• 8 to 15
    • 16 to 20
    • 21 to 25
    • 26 to 30

Who cares? Jesus. No one country officialy "wins" the Games anyway.

They should do a point system (1 for bronze, 2 for silver, 3 for gold) to prevent such endless, unimportant debates at the end of every Games.

That has been tried in the past two - even attemped to be made offiucial (I think it sparked arguments before Helsinki).

As you said, there's no "official" ranking. The most the IOC goes to being official as regards tallies is to discourage them. But they also realise they're impossible to stop and inevitable anyway.

Anyway, NOC's like Australia's DO follow tallies and base a lot of their funding requests on them, based on both the gold standard and also with total medal targets.

Well, it seems that Canada did it again. Not only it has set another record for most medals won for the nation (Canada had 24 at Torino 2006) in 2010 with 26, it breaks the record for number of gold medals won in a home Games and ever in Olympic history in one Winter Olympics.

As you said, there's no "official" ranking.

And neither is there a "traditional" ranking for the whole world.

I don't say that there shouldn't be acknowledgement for the nation who wins the most medals overall and that nearly always seems to be the USA

Which is why other nations always want to go the other way.

Which is why other nations always want to go the other way.

How do you know? The world isn't out to get us you know.

Whatever you wanna believe.

:rolleyes:

Let me make my sentiment clear: Because it's natural to want to go opposite or go after those who are at the top, no matter who they are.

It's crazy here in Toronto. I can hear the horn honking and see flags out of many car windows driving by

Golds count more than silvers and bronzes.That is why the traditional table has always ranked nations by number of gold medals won irrespective of the totals.Like Roltel that's how I've always remembered it!

I don't say that there shouldn't be acknowledgement for the nation who wins the most medals overall and that nearly always seems to be the USA.But it just looks weird to rank it above the one with the most golds.It just doesn't look right!

After all,it's the gold medal-winning performance that sets the standard for that sport and which everyone remembers!

As to why the IOC website now shows the default medal table by total medals won rather than golds won (as it did for previous Olympics like Beijing) is puzzling.I wonder if it has cut a deal with the USOC along the lines of: You be more flexible about your share of the revenues and we'll adopt your way of presenting the medal table?? ;)

Wow you guys are intense! Hahaha!! Congratulations Canada! We know you're all very proud in your igloo's and with your sled dogs! jk jk jk :-) I know not all Canadians live in igloo's just most of them! Again just kidding!

Haha I like your theory though, we'll give you back money if you tell everyone we're the effing best ;-) very nice!

But in reality I don't know if it's more to do with how we view competition in the United States, how the "Millennials" 18-29ers view competition, but I do know that I wouldn't call someone a loser because they got a Silver, I would never dream of saying to a silver or even a bronze, heck anyone who's been a participant in an Olympic competition, "man you sucked out there, where's the gold?" I can't ski-jump, I can't luge, I can barely figure skate, I can't jump, I can't even go backwards, any of these athletes deserves a certain level of appreciation and congratulations for being the best there is. That being said, I don't think or know if there was a big conspiracy to sort medal tables by total, any table of any kind I've ever seen has been sorted by total, so if the big conspiracy was to put the USA at the top, why not just break it out into a separate list as the top row no matter how many medals we get? I don't get the controversy.

Ohh and again CONGRATULATIONS CANADA! That hockey game was legit, you guys rocked it!

Wow you guys are intense! Hahaha!! Congratulations Canada! We know you're all very proud in your igloo's and with your sled dogs! jk jk jk :-) I know not all Canadians live in igloo's just most of them! Again just kidding!

Haha I like your theory though, we'll give you back money if you tell everyone we're the effing best ;-) very nice!

But in reality I don't know if it's more to do with how we view competition in the United States, how the "Millennials" 18-29ers view competition, but I do know that I wouldn't call someone a loser because they got a Silver, I would never dream of saying to a silver or even a bronze, heck anyone who's been a participant in an Olympic competition, "man you sucked out there, where's the gold?" I can't ski-jump, I can't luge, I can barely figure skate, I can't jump, I can't even go backwards, any of these athletes deserves a certain level of appreciation and congratulations for being the best there is. That being said, I don't think or know if there was a big conspiracy to sort medal tables by total, any table of any kind I've ever seen has been sorted by total, so if the big conspiracy was to put the USA at the top, why not just break it out into a separate list as the top row no matter how many medals we get? I don't get the controversy.

Ohh and again CONGRATULATIONS CANADA! That hockey game was legit, you guys rocked it!

I think you're right about it being something that our Millennial generation has brought about. We grew up in the era of the everyone getting a trophy at the end of t-ball season - we were brought up seeing everyone acknowledged and rewarded for their participation, not just their success.

Or maybe these games have awakened a sleeping giant of Canadian patriotism! Now the Americans and French will have someone else to compete with as to who can be the most annoyingly patriotic!

A big Hoorray for Canada !

Only the most optmistic Canadian fans would imagine Canada topping the medal table like that.

At least here in South America, most media makers were betting in Germany for finishing first, then USA second and Canada third. But everybody´s glad with Canada finishing first.

Congratulations ! What a great Olympic Games !

Sign in to follow this