• 21 to 25
    • 26 to 30

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess people should stop telling athletes who won silver or bronze to be proud of themselves and that it's still such an achievement.

Today was an extremely tough day! Here are my thoughts. Own the Podium has pretty much given Canadians the mindset that Canada is not here to just participate in these Olympics, but to win medals, w

And yet the Vancouver2010 website still lists the USA at the top of the medals table and Germany in second, with Canada in third for most medals overall, despite Canada's current lead in gold medals.

True, San Fran is stunning. Vancouver has much more to offer though. How's the snow skiing? Nice bridge, seals ruined our trip to the bay. Next time I bring my .45. How are the rats allowed to take over the docks?

The seals left. I hate guns. Not funny.

Probably no more NHL in the Olympics after Vancouver 2010.

Which is no big deal. The 1980 "Miracle on Ice" team were college kids. True amateur athletes.

seals have left..? really? They've taken over the whole dock..SF tourism has suffered.

What are you talking about? The seals were a huge tourist draw.

Jeez Canada, what can I say. As far as pretty well most of the world is concerned you're well clear at the top of the Medal table with no chance of losing the summit.

Total medal counts might be worthy, even PC, but c'mon, it's Golds and how many times we've heard the National Anthems that count.

It doesn't mean others don't also have great counts to celebrate (and yes, Great achievement USA), but when you've got it, flaunt it. You don't need to be so modestly, well, Canadian about it!

Congratulations.

:D

No one should start nagging about Canada being "only" third in medal totals -- in most parts of the world, it's the gold medals which count. And even defending the third rank in medal totals is a very impressive result. Remember: Winter sports has become incresingly competitive and thus it was much harder this time to win a medal than four or even eight years ago.

Before the Games, I didn't expect Canada to win as many gold medals as it did -- and not even that it would tie (or maybe even break) the Winter Olympic gold medal record.

So I think that Canada can be very proud of what it achieved in these Games -- not only organisation-wise (and most importantly: atmosphere-wise), but also sports-wise.

I was just about to ask about this, I'm glad it's already being talked about.

I remember in Beijing 2008 the USA ranking the medal table differently to the rest of the world, and much hay was made of this fact.

But this time around, the official website of Vancouver 2010 does it the USA's way by default. The BBC, by contrast, does it as is traditional and as it always has, by Golds. So who's officially topping the table? It's confusing. Is it still the case that the majority of the world uses the rankings the BBC uses or have things changed since four years ago? Or is it, which I doubt very much, a difference between Winter and Summer Games?

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-medals/

http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/medals/2010-standings/index.html

:huh:

Edited by RobH

I was just about to ask about this, I'm glad it's already being talked about.

I remember in Beijing 2008 the USA ranking the medal table differently to the rest of the world, and much hay was made of this fact.

But this time around, the official website of Vancouver 2010 does it the USA's way by default. The BBC, by contrast, does it as is traditional and as it always has, by Golds. So who's officially topping the table? It's confusing. Is it still the case that the majority of the world uses the rankings the BBC uses or have things changed since four years ago? Or is it, which I doubt very much, a difference between Winter and Summer Games?

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-medals/

http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/medals/2010-standings/index.html

:huh:

The only time it's ever undisputed is when the the country at the top of the medals table has won the most medals and the most golds (which is ideal). If it's split, you'll always have this debate. I remember talking to this one guy, and he was like "silver and bronze are meaningless. you didn't win". Okay, so then why have silver and bronze medals at all? Why do we tell athletes what an achievement it is, and to be proud, that they won a silver or a bronze medal? If you're going to look it as "gold is all that matters, and anything else is a loss, screw silver, 'screw coming in third'", then let's just dump silver and bronze medals for good! Gold is all that matters, and anything less doesn't count for anything, and makes you a loser! ;) Would sure clear up this medal table debate once and for all!

• Like 1

Lots of medals are broken down by gender. its actually very interesting how that some countries have one dominant gender. Canada is women while the USA is men for instance.

Interestingy, Canada's men came back strong in the last couple of days. Right now, 7 and a half of our 13 golds have been won by men, with a possible 8th coming. Meanwhile, our women have won 5 and a half golds.

But the men haven't won a single silver.

You're off by one (Robertson) ;) .

Its true that overall Canada's women have won more medals, but the guys still turned it around in the last couple of days, and they won more gold.

But ya, I wonder when was the last time where the Canadian men outmatched the women.

By province

Newfoundland and Labrador - Zero

Nova Scotia - One to be decided

Prince Edward Island - 1 gold

New Brunswick - Zero

Quebec - 15 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze and 4 to be decided

Ontario - 11 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze and 8 to be decided

Manitoba - 2 gold, 1 bronze and 2 to be decided

Saskatchewan - 5 gold, 1 bronze and 3 to be decided

Alberta - 8 gold, 8 silver, 2 bronze and 2 to be decided

British Columbia - 3 gold and 3 to be decided

The Territories - Zero

But the men haven't won a single silver.

You're off by one (Robertson) ;) .

Its true that overall Canada's women have won more medals, but the guys still turned it around in the last couple of days, and they won more gold.

But ya, I wonder when was the last time where the Canadian men outmatched the women.

So who are the better performing Canadian athletes? The Canadian men because they have won more gold? Or the Canadian women because they have won more medals, gold, silver and bronze, overall???

The only time it's ever undisputed is when the the country at the top of the medals table has won the most medals and the most golds (which is ideal). If it's split, you'll always have this debate. I remember talking to this one guy, and he was like "silver and bronze are meaningless. you didn't win". Okay, so then why have silver and bronze medals at all? Why do we tell athletes what an achievement it is, and to be proud, that they won a silver or a bronze medal? If you're going to look it as "gold is all that matters, and anything else is a loss, screw silver, 'screw coming in third'", then let's just dump silver and bronze medals for good! Gold is all that matters, and anything less doesn't count for anything, and makes you a loser! ;) Would sure clear up this medal table debate once and for all!

Exactly, but the attitude that if you didn't come first you "lost" is the attitude they have. I'd wager to say that your total haul of medals is far more important than your golds considering that the difference between Gold, Silver, and Bronze, are many times fractions of a second. I'm not sure how people feel in other countries but here at least among my peers a Silver medal is awesome, I'd be impressed with someone who had any medals.

Amazing performance from the Canucks.You set out to own the podium and you did just that!

Be proud...be very proud.Congratulations and well done Canada!! :D

By province

Newfoundland and Labrador - Zero

Nova Scotia - One to be decided

Prince Edward Island - 1 gold

New Brunswick - Zero

Quebec - 15 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze and 4 to be decided

Ontario - 11 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze and 8 to be decided

Manitoba - 2 gold, 1 bronze and 2 to be decided

Saskatchewan - 5 gold, 1 bronze and 3 to be decided

Alberta - 8 gold, 8 silver, 2 bronze and 2 to be decided

British Columbia - 3 gold and 3 to be decided

The Territories - Zero

Well, somebody from New Brunswick actually won a bronze medal :D

For the USA :(

But ya, something that disappointed me about 2010 is that no New-Brunswicker qualified for Canada, especially since both Sawyer and Despres got close in Figure Skating and Bobsled, respectively. As for the guy from the US team, Travis Jayner of Moncton ('bout a 100km from where I live), the only reason he was able to even get to the games is that the US has a weaker short track team that Canada (they also had a Canadian in both the German and Italian short track men's teams).

So who are the better performing Canadian athletes? The Canadian men because they have won more gold? Or the Canadian women because they have won more medals, gold, silver and bronze, overall???

I would say the men. Male competition is more competitive with more people competing. So to have won 7 gold medals in men's competition is very impressive. Also overall the majority of the men have performed more to the standard set during the world cup season than the women. More of our female athletes didn't compete up to or exceed potential than male athletes.

So overall including all performances I would give it to the men.

Exactly, but the attitude that if you didn't come first you "lost" is the attitude they have. I'd wager to say that your total haul of medals is far more important than your golds considering that the difference between Gold, Silver, and Bronze, are many times fractions of a second. I'm not sure how people feel in other countries but here at least among my peers a Silver medal is awesome, I'd be impressed with someone who had any medals.

Good point about the difference between Gold and Silver, and even often times Bronze, are mere hundredths of a second, I completely agree with you on that. And I too am impressed with someone with any medals.

Amazing performance from the Canucks.You set out to own the podium and you did just that!

Be proud...be very proud.Congratulations and well done Canada!! :D

Well, I wouldn't say the Canadians have taken "ownership" of the podium (and really, that was a very unfortunate name for their achievement program, especially when combined with limiting access to training at venues for other countries). However, in light Canada's previous record of medals - and particularly gold medals - at their previous home soil games, the achievement program has definitely paid off.

This is why the IOC doesn't count national medals, it's too controversial.

To answer an earlier question, the Canadian convention has been to count total medals (we usually don't win very many gold).

Although the Own the Podium goal was to win in the overall Medal Count, coming in 3rd is not too shabby at all and winning the most gold is also a bonus. I am very happy with our performance.