What Is The One Most Significant Medal Event at Vancouver

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these events at the 2010 Vancouver Games will most define these games?

• Final: Men's Ice Hockey
    • Men's Downhill Alpine Skiing
    • 4 Man Bobsled: Men's
    • Figure Skating: Women's Individual
    • Men's Halfpipe Snowboard
    • Men's Luge
    • Ski Jump: Large Hill
    • Speed Skating: Men's or Women's 500 metres Long Track
    • Other (please specify)

Just like the SOGs which have events like the women's all round gymnastics gold, 100 metres sprint in athletics and swimming, marathon etc where the winner of the gold medal usually defines an Olympics, which event (and possibly who) will define Vancouver 2010?

Edited by eusebius65

Most obviously the men's ice hockey final. I mean, the whole of Canada seems to anticipate this just like Australia anticipated the women's 400 m final with Cathy Freeman. The only problem is that we don't know yet whether Canada will reach the final. So if they should fail to do so, there'll probably another most significant medal event of these Games. Maybe the men's figure skating, with Evan Lysacek's sensational victory? Or Alexandre Bilodeau breaking Canada's Olympic curse in the men's moguls?

By the way, which were the most significant medal events of the Games of the past 10 years?

Sydney -- Women's 400 m, obviously

Salt Lake -- The pair's figure skating with the judging scandal?

Athens -- The men's marathon with Vanderlei de Lima being attacked?

Torino -- Practically-nobody Antoine Deneriaz upstaging the top class in the men's downhill?

Beijing -- Men's 100 m with Usain Bolt's world record

Most obviously the men's ice hockey final. I mean, the whole of Canada seems to anticipate this just like Australia anticipated the women's 400 m final with Cathy Freeman. The only problem is that we don't know yet whether Canada will reach the final. So if they should fail to do so, there'll probably another most significant medal event of these Games. Maybe the men's figure skating, with Evan Lysacek's sensational victory? Or Alexandre Bilodeau breaking Canada's Olympic curse in the men's moguls?

By the way, which were the most significant medal events of the Games of the past 10 years?

Sydney -- Women's 400 m, obviously

Salt Lake -- The pair's figure skating with the judging scandal?

Athens -- The men's marathon with Vanderlei de Lima being attacked?

Torino -- Practically-nobody Antoine Deneriaz upstaging the top class in the men's downhill?

Beijing -- Men's 100 m with Usain Bolt's world record

Eventually it has to come down to the ice hockey, which has so many levels of importance (and if Canada go through and win men's gold just before the closing ceremony, well that'll be such a huge huge event). However I was wavering between the men's downhill, which is the closest I think to a blue riband event at the winter games (like the 100 metres track gold), and the men's halfpipe because Shaun White's gold was so dominant (plus he is the undoubted X-Games star which is where the IOC is really trying to develop a new OWG demographic). As for Bilodeau, that was a biggie but outside of Canada in a few months his achievement will be less remembered.

As for the list above, I think that's almost spot on. My only change would be Athens with the Argentine team winning basketball gold, Fani Halkia 400 metres hurdles gold, or perhaps Hicham el Guerroj's distance double. Torino in retrospect seems very lacklustre, and Shizuka Arakawa in the women's figure skating seems the most memorable athlete/event.

Assuming Canada makes it to the Men's Hockey final, I think that will be the Olympic-defining event. I have heard so many people say that these olympics will be classified as a success or not, depending on how Canada does in Men's Hockey. Hockey, being the sport most woven into our culture, if a success for team Canada, would undeniably unite our country like no other event can.

If Canada doesn't make it to the Men's hockey final, I think Alex Bilodeau's Gold in Men's Moguls will be the defining event, our first at home.

Assuming Canada makes it to the Men's Hockey final, I think that will be the Olympic-defining event. I have heard so many people say that these olympics will be classified as a success or not, depending on how Canada does in Men's Hockey. Hockey, being the sport most woven into our culture, if a success for team Canada, would undeniably unite our country like no other event can.

If Canada doesn't make it to the Men's hockey final, I think Alex Bilodeau's Gold in Men's Moguls will be the defining event, our first at home.

I can understand the importance of this game and have actually voted for it in the poll...however the importance of Canada's potential for gold against the US or maybe Russia in ice hockey may not resonate as much with an international audience as (say) figure skating. Take as case in point the 2002 SLC win for Canada, which gets buried down under (and I suspect in some other countries) by the almost freakish win of Steve Bradbury in short track speedskating. As cited above, if Canada wins gold in ice hockey, will that be the Vancouver equivalent of Usain Bolt's win in the 100 metres at Beijing...mmm, not sure.

What might be the one now (in terms of Olympic history and the stature of the sportsman) is Simon Ammann's ski jumping gold on the large hill, making him the first to achieve a double double gold in the sport. But again...how many athletes/countries have that much involvement in ski jumping...

I think Petra Majdič (3rd in cross-country skiing) is gonna be remembered better than most of winners. After all it's not common to gain medal with four broken ribs :blink: Many winners are forgotten after short time, but stories like that are not.