Bobsled

Shame that Heafti won't make it to the two-man. Well, I guess that those things happen (Hays from the US actually had to retire after a crash this year in a world cup event in Germany).

Can we expect a medal from the Canadian men here?

I think there is a better chance in the Four-Man and the Two-Woman that in the Two-Man, but I wouldn't say that we are the favorite in any of the men's events and I think we would be co-favorites in the women's event with two German sleds and the USA-I sled.

If I had to predict winners: Ruegue, Martini and Lange in two-men, two-women and four-man respectively. Of coarse, I'll probably end up being wrong for most of them :P

Just that home track advantage might not be enough.

I think that the Whistler track was actually a factor in Melisa's fifth place, she was known to dislike the place. However, I know that Montgomery was quite the fan of the Whistler track, and Rush also feels the same way. So I would say it bodes well for a medal by Rush (now, its another question wetter or not he could win).

Hometrack or not, there are always tracks that sliders like and tracks that sliders dislike. Lueders calls Altenberg "That place" and Holingsworth just doesn't feel comfortable sliding in Whistler.

Here's what the american women had to say after the race:

Katie Uhlaender said she was happy that Canadian slider Mellisa Hollingsworth fell from second to fifth on her final run because she didn't like the way Canadian organizers cut the ice.

"It's karma that Canada didn't get on the medal stand,"

Pikus-Pace disagreed saying the course was "incredible" and "it's so smooth it's like a waterslide."

Did anyone else see the Australia 2 sled come a cropper in their first (and only) run? That was one of the worst sled runs and crashes I've ever seen. I almost thought for a moment I was watching that scene in 'Cool Runnings' when John Candy is yelling at the team to get in, which was also a tad embarrassing. Then by the time the crew were in and running they smashed turn 2 and ended up on their backs virtually all the way down.

I don't blame the track...it was a bad start by a team that possibly shouldn't be there. Never thought I'd say that about an Aussie team, but it has to be a concern.

Can someone tell me what the point of 2-man (and 4-man) bobsled is? Watching it tonight, they said the guy in the back is the breaker. But the guy in the back has his head down the whole time. How can he break if he can't see? Also, is breaking even necessary? The 1-man bobsled either doesn't need a breaker, or the pilot controls the breaks. Not sure what the point of 2-man and 4-man bobsled is.

Can someone tell me what the point of 2-man (and 4-man) bobsled is? Watching it tonight, they said the guy in the back is the breaker. But the guy in the back has his head down the whole time. How can he break if he can't see? Also, is breaking even necessary? The 1-man bobsled either doesn't need a breaker, or the pilot controls the breaks. Not sure what the point of 2-man and 4-man bobsled is.

Funny...my friend asked the same thing...and I sort of agreed. But the points are:

1. so that NBC and the other fools who paid megabux to the IOC have a few events to telecast; and

2. luge, 2-person, 4-person bobsled, skeleton...all will justify the cost of putting in a $100 million facility. It would look terribly tacky if the $100 mil facility was put in only for 1 event.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The pilot signals the breaksmen to, well, break.

Also, Luge, Skeleton and Bobsled are all very different from a skill set perspective. Heck, they are even a lot of pilot that are only really good in either two-men or four-men.

As for the pushers, there job is to get a good start time, which is very often the difference between an o.k. time and a winning time. However, Whistler is more of a driver's track that a pusher's track (like Calgary or Igls), but if two pilots have a similar drive the guy with the better push will win.

The Germans look like they have the best chance of gold being in 1st and 2nd after 2 runs

Indeed, baring a crash a German sled will win. It would actually be quite a story to have Lange and Kuske to win there fourth gold medal together, which would be unprecedented.

2. luge, 2-person, 4-person bobsled, skeleton...all will justify the cost of putting in a $100 million facility. It would look terribly tacky if the $100 mil facility was put in only for 1 event.

Well 6 events, since you have 3 events for each gender. But maybe they should have also have larger luges and skeletons, so that they can have 4-man luge and 4-man skeleton events!

The brakesman is the primary pusher of the sled and pulls the break at the end of the run.

Just seems unnecessary, otherwise the 1-man bobsled would be in trouble if the pilot couldn't brake himself.

BTW, I find the uniforms for bobsled to be way too revealing, for the men at least. I guess they might be aerodynamic for luge and skeleton, but if you're in the bobsled then the uniform shouldn't matter much.