You make it sound like Belarus has a bad team. They don't. Almost all of Belarus's team plays in one of the three top leagues (NHL, AHL, KHL), Germany has 7 NHL players. And its not like Germany hasn't played well. They were competitive against Sweden and Belarus.

Women's Semi-final #1

United States 9 - 1 Sweden

Looks like 2006 was a fluke after all, and if the results of recent junior championships are any indication the gap between North America and Europe is widening and fast. I mean, at last year's U18 worlds the closest any team got to Canada or the US was 5 goals and one of the semi-final was 18-0...

I don't think juniors are a good indicator, especially for smaller population countries.

Well, its an indicator that the upcoming Fins, Swedes and Czech aren't challenging the upcoming Canadians and Americans. Its not a definite factor, but it is certainly not a good sign.

Well, its an indicator that the upcoming Fins, Swedes and Czech aren't challenging the upcoming Canadians and Americans. Its not a definite factor, but it is certainly not a good sign.

Sweden went over 20 years within a junior medal on the men's side yet they with the Soviets are the only teams two win 2 Olympic golds.

Its not the best indicator, especially since Europeans tend to develop slower.

I don't think I was ever as excited about Team USA Hockey than I was last night. I was cheering like I would be for an NHL game. Or a Mississippi State hockey game (yes we have a team and yes we are good!).

But that is what is so great about the Games IMO. We find passion for competition on a world stage we never knew we had.

OMG, I had CTV on in the background and turned to see a player on the floor lifting his head and there was was I can only describe as goop behind his head before they cut to a different shot.

I think it was Lubs Bartecko of Slovakia. On the replay they showed him getting hit and his helmet popping off, then falling to the ground.

Hope he's ok.