Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lirodon

The HOST graphics packages

Is it me, or have the quality of the host graphics (and I mean host as in, the stock stuff given on the world feed) kinda been digressing lately? The designs they used for Torino were an ample evolution from what I call the "square" generation (Sydney/Salt Lake/Athens) graphics, which were nice for the time, but Torino just looked good, with the nice metallic shading and the almost aurora-like streaks in the lower thirds, good font choice, just looked nice and HD friendly.

Then when Beijing came along, its almost like they took the Torino package and tried to make it as plainer as possible. While I do appreciate that they're trying to work the looks of the games into the package now (with the "wave" and mountain patterns from Beijing and Vancouver specifically), some of the elements kinda did degrade a bit too, especially anything written in that Arial Narrow-looking font.

So, does anyone have their opinions on this department?

Rob, Lirodon didn't mean the look of the Games but the look of the TV graphics used for the Games' broadcast.

I for my part think they are better than Torino's graphics -- they are a little bit more neutral and more pleasant to look at, while Torino's graphics looked too stretched. And the nation's flags were too small. It's just like when the IOC introduced those "boxy" graphics for their Games broadcasts in 2000 -- they enhanced those as well after they were first used in Sydney. For example, I remember them making the IOC codes beneath the respective nation's flag (for example, "AUS" for Australia) bigger and thus better readable for the 2002 and 2004 Games' broadcasts. The same seems to have happened now with the new set of TV graphics introduced in 2006 for the Torino Games and now having been varied for the 2008 and 2010 Games.

I wonder whether after those graphics have been used for three editions of the Games as well, will they introduce a completely new set of TV graphics for London 2012?

But I also have to admit: When they compare, let's say in alpine skiing, the time of the current runner with that of the leading runner, I sometimes get confused which name is the one of the current runner. It's because the boxes for the names of the two runnners have exactly the same size and are neatly put upon each other. In Torino, the box with the current runner's name was bigger and coloured in blue, while the box with the leading runner's name was smaller and coloured in grey.

torinotvgraphics.jpg

As opposed to Vancouver's graphics:

vancouvertvgraphics.jpg

So I admit that they handled this better in Torino's graphics.