Short Track Speed Skating

Hopefully we can get atleast 2 on the podium tomorrow when the finals for the Men's 1000m and Women's 1500m take place.

Charles Hamelin is a favourite in the 1000m and Francois Hamelin is capable of a podium finish here.

I'm also hoping one of the Canadian ladies surprises and reaches the podium in the 1500m ie. Kalyna Roberge

Oh, I have definitely seen it happen before where more than one person gets DSQed and they have to go to the B Final to determine who gets the medals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Marc Gagnon the only athlete ever to win a medal from the B final in Olympic Short Track? It can happen, but all hell has to break loose for it to happen (a Bradbury-like moment, basically).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Marc Gagnon the only athlete ever to win a medal from the B final in Olympic Short Track? It can happen, but all hell has to break loose for it to happen (a Bradbury-like moment, basically).

well that must be a new rule, otherwise George Dicarlo has to give back the gold medal, which he won in Los Angeles - Thomas Fahrner was faster in the B-final of 400 m free style than the Olympic Champion...

well that must be a new rule, otherwise George Dicarlo has to give back the gold medal, which he won in Los Angeles - Thomas Fahrner was faster in the B-final of 400 m free style than the Olympic Champion...

Ah, well the thing in short track is that if you are disqualified or did not start/finish the A final, then everyone in the B final moves ahead of you in the standings. In Gagnon's case he won the B final and there where four people in the A final: a Brit got disqualified and another Canadian basically decided not to finish the race, thus giving the bronze to the winner of the B final.

Its actually not all that uncommon that the winner of the B final is faster that the winner of the A final due to the strategic aspects in Short Track.

Ah, well the thing in short track is that if you are disqualified or did not start/finish the A final, then everyone in the B final moves ahead of you in the standings. In Gagnon's case he won the B final and there where four people in the A final: a Brit got disqualified and another Canadian basically decided not to finish the race, thus giving the bronze to the winner of the B final.

Its actually not all that uncommon that the winner of the B final is faster that the winner of the A final due to the strategic aspects in Short Track.

I didn't know that - I am not used to Short TRack at all...

Well, we're heading towards our worst Olympics ever in short track, especially considering that there was only 4 events in 1992 and 6 in 1994/1998.

Well, we're heading towards our worst Olympics ever in short track, especially considering that there was only 4 events in 1992 and 6 in 1994/1998.

I wouldn't go that far. Hamelin and Trembley in the 500m and the relays plus Roberge in the 1000m.

Good day for South Korea and Chunky, shafted outing for the Hamelins.

I'm still unclear on what exactly that DQ was for. The commentator actually described it as a clean race. But they took so long for the final results to come up and they kept cutting to a shot of the referee at the review screen. When they showed the replay the commentator suggested maybe it was the Chinese that were gonna get DQed.

I thought it was and it looked like the Chinese thought they were getting DSQ. I think it was a combination of many little things that caused the Koreans to be disqualified.

I am very happy. I said Marianne St. Gelais was gonna be a short track star for Canada and two silvers later.