National Rivalries @ Vancouver 2010

Methinks in the Alpine bragging rights must go to the Swiss and the Yanks...Austrians must be wandering around shaking their heads and wondering what is happening.

I guess we really won't see full on Canadian Vs American forum bloodshed until the medal rounds of the ice hockey...then it'll be on for young and old ;)

Whilst the 2 combine, everybody is happy, but will it be the same when the games are over? Considering USA is the nation most associated with 'winning is everything', the total no of medals things is a wierd way of doing things. I guess it started with the Soviet dominance in the 80s or earlier. By the total no logic, for example, a counrty with 21 bronze medals and nothing else is better than a nation who has only won 20 golds and nothing else... Defies intelligence to me!

well quantity over quality is a very american trait. have you ever been to wal mart?

• Like 1

The whole medal table debate has always been around...for example after the Berlin 36 SOGs both the US and the Germans claimed they'd 'won' the games. I also recall (and someone can perhaps confirm or deny this for me) that there have even been schemes from countries like the Brits where points are awarded for a medal. Finally, down here in Oz we often hear about the per capita medal result (which funnily enough in several games we've won).

As was said in another context, there's lies, damn lies and medal statistics.

I agree New Zealand should be doing better than it traditionally does in winter sports. Its really disappointing.

Our traditional rivals aussies have been all over us in the last 15-20 years at winter sports even though we got the first winter medal for a southern hemisphere nation.

I agree New Zealand should be doing better than it traditionally does in winter sports. Its really disappointing.

Our traditional rivals aussies have been all over us in the last 15-20 years at winter sports even though we got the first winter medal for a southern hemisphere nation.

Do you what's the reason for this? It's surprising because New Zealand si a great sporting nation and you have world class ski areas on the south island. New Zealand should be the winter sports powerhouse of the southern hemisphere.

Do you what's the reason for this? It's surprising because New Zealand si a great sporting nation and you have world class ski areas on the south island. New Zealand should be the winter sports powerhouse of the southern hemisphere.

You know, just about everyone I've spoken to here about the games in the past week, always come up with "Why isn't NZ doing better - they should be naturals".

You know, just about everyone I've spoken to here about the games in the past week, always come up with "Why isn't NZ doing better - they should be naturals".

This is where I guess we have to thank (as Aussies) the work of the likes of Geoff Henschke and of course John Coates at the AOC, in committing to a winter sports program. Unlike the Kiwis (who for obvious financial and sports policy reasons) haven't invested the millions in winter sport, the AOC and the Fed government down under has made a conscious effort since at least Zali Steggall's and Kirstie Marshall's day to get Australian winter athletes on the podium. Part of that was facilitated by the opening of the OWG program to freestyle events and short track where we can actually punch above our weight, and part also because of Sydney 2000. Sad to say our friends across the ditch haven't had the same imperatives.

The days when sports people and national teams would do well at an Olympics because they were 'naturals' seem long dead (as borne out by the Aussie experience in Montreal). It takes sh-tloads of money, a concerted effort from a national Olympic committee and the respective sports federations, and even some fundamental shifts in government sport and health policy to get where Australia is at both forms of the Olympics.

This is where I guess we have to thank (as Aussies) the work of the likes of Geoff Henschke and of course John Coates at the AOC, in committing to a winter sports program. Unlike the Kiwis (who for obvious financial and sports policy reasons) haven't invested the millions in winter sport, the AOC and the Fed government down under has made a conscious effort since at least Zali Steggall's and Kirstie Marshall's day to get Australian winter athletes on the podium. Part of that was facilitated by the opening of the OWG program to freestyle events and short track where we can actually punch above our weight, and part also because of Sydney 2000. Sad to say our friends across the ditch haven't had the same imperatives.

The days when sports people and national teams would do well at an Olympics because they were 'naturals' seem long dead (as borne out by the Aussie experience in Montreal). It takes sh-tloads of money, a concerted effort from a national Olympic committee and the respective sports federations, and even some fundamental shifts in government sport and health policy to get where Australia is at both forms of the Olympics.

Well, we'll wait and see how that withstands the post-Crawford report era. Hopefully Torah, Jacquie and Larissa can give some ore ammunition to Coates.

Maybe we should take the following to the Roo Bar, but i was impressed with how Coates came out firing with all barrels before and after the report hit. He really gave it to Kate Ellis big time. I have a lot of regard for Coates - great operator, effective, know's his beat. I could see him as a future IOC Pres (though 2013 might be a bit early). And I think he's got the credentials and drive to do it.

Well, we'll wait and see how that withstands the post-Crawford report era. Hopefully Torah, Jacquie and Larissa can give some ore ammunition to Coates.

Maybe we should take the following to the Roo Bar, but i was impressed with how Coates came out firing with all barrels before and after the report hit. He really gave it to Kate Ellis big time. I have a lot of regard for Coates - great operator, effective, know's his beat. I could see him as a future IOC Pres (though 2013 might be a bit early). And I think he's got the credentials and drive to do it.

Coatesy very very smart but he has to be careful as there are powerful media, political and social voices that would love to see sport funding in Oz become less aimed at the Olympic sports and their elite, to the likes of AFL, league, cricket etc. AFL is the one we should all worry about, in that Andrew Demetriou heads a financially powerful commission that has the ears of many front and back benchers.

as for Coates for IOC Pres, give hima few years and he could definitely be there. He'll have to come out from unre Lord Kev Gosper's shadow though...

I think it comes down to money and support for our athletes.

We have a short track rivalry building with South Korea. It's a fun one. Wonder why we haven't had any flares or scuffles yet that I can remember. Men...rolleyes.gif

Right now, on the US-Canada front, its rather Abysmal for the Canadian team. We are 11 (soon to be 13, by the look of it) behind the Americans. The US just got a bunch of medals they where frankly not suppose to get, and I think the hole is too deep to climb out of now...

Not great games by the Canadian team right now...

Actually it's going according to plan for Canada.

It's just that the americans are winning way more than expected at this point (+10). And it shows in the results of all the other countries who are almost all performing below expectations.

It's a done deal that the americans will win the medal count by total medals. The gold medal count is still up for grab.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh......I LOVE that.

So go ahead and expose your knowledge of the canadian athletes. Who so far was supposed to get a medal and didnt?

I count 2:

-Manuel Osborne-Paradis in the men's downhill

-Charles Hamelin in the 1500m in short track

On the other hand, we got two unexpected medals:

-Kristina Groves in the 3000m (Anschult-Thoms was probably a bigger favorite)

-Mike Robertson in the men's snowboard cross.

It evens up.

Okay, let's break it down into some crazy stats now we're near the midpoint...first off medal rivalries based on continents (i.e. the continental Olympic organisation):

ONOC (Oceania):

Australia undoubtedly in the lead with 1 gold 1 silver

ANOCA (Africa):

Um, if anyone can source a top 10 result for Africa that'd be the leading nation methinks

PASO (Europe):

On total medals it's Deutschland with 13 but on golds it's Norge with their 5

OCA (Asia):

Neck and neck between South Korea and China (5 and 4 medals respectively in total)...where the hell is Japan? :blink:

PASO (The Americas):

A two horse race with the Yanks giving the Canucks what for with 20 medals to 7, or 6 golds to 3

And for some major rivalies...

• Scandinavia: Norway way out in front with 5 gold, to Sweden's 2 (Finland are having a shocker)
  • Germany versus France/Italy/Austria/Switzerland: The Big Four lead Deutschland 20 to 13 in total medals, but the weak performer has to be Italy
  • Commonwealth: Canada way out in front but Australia doing nicely and Britain finally taking a gold

And for the Communist Cup (contested by both current and former Marxist states) China is in a neck and neck race with Russia, with Poland, Belarus, Slovakia and the Czech republic fighting it out for third pozzie) :)

Edited by eusebius65

Commonwealth: Canada way out in front but Australia doing nicely and Britain finally taking a gold

The Ashes is proving a good contest. Can our aerialists trump their curlers?

Canada will always have a lock on the Commonwealth Winters surely. Could you imagine a Commonwealth Winter games?

Edited by Sir Roltel

Canada will always have a lock on the Commonwealth Winters surely. Could you imagine a Commonwealth Winter games?

New Zealand would have a better chance of winning a medal in that.

Well, by the look of it we could definitively start a decent Commonwealth Skeleton championships.