• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bore off.

Well, if Toronto had entered, and you were going to make a list of the minus frtactors for the bids, you cpould say: Madrid - Spain's economy is in really bad shape Japan - Although Pyeongchang shou

MisterSG1 is simply ignorant of the fact that his "Canada" was created by immigrants themselves, much like my "Australia" is. We should be grateful for the immigrant populations from all corners of th

Is Toronto seriously bidding for 2024?? I'm gonna be honnest with you guys and will get some of you guys hate me (that's what happens whenever I write something here) but, by bidding right now they seem a bit too arogant about themselves, like, they know who is already bidding and still think they have a chance (and we all know it's Europe time!). Weird. But, I can't help to think that they're doing what Paris did in 2008. Just preparing for the next bid. They know the US are struggling to get their stuff together, and they also know that 2028 could be the year of a North American Olympics. I don't think Africa will show up before 2032, so I do think Toronto would be smart on bidding for 2028, but a 2024 has to be a warm-up bid. Then they should be aware that Paris had had 3 warm up bids before this one, so...Oh, but yet again, so did Madrid. Arf.... Anyway, I won't lie and say that I'd be a bit gutted if Toronto get the 2024 Games against Paris...

• Like 1

And yeah, reading myself, you're gonna say Paris is being arogant once again. Sorry, no, I don't think it is, maybe I am... ;) I have to say I really have no idea who will get those 2024 Games...Paris is not that obvious to me, since we can't quite predict what the IOC members will feel like voting (neither can we predict how corrupted they will be).

So...Toronto, Boston (or LA), Hamburg, Budapest, Rome and Paris.

Well, they've just had their PanAm Games and are already going for Olympics, like literally few hours after. Tell me about confidence...

Being confident doesn't make oneself arrogant. Plus we all know Paris is the front runner. Toronto is capitalizing on the big success of Pan Am and the growing public support

Is Canada aware that they hosted Olympic Games 5 years ago?

You're being extremely obnoxious right now, and it's showing a slight bit of paranoia on your part. No one is denying that Paris is a virtual shoo-in for 2024 (if not Paris, then someone from Europe). There is no need to put down Toronto, a city which in many bidding cycles would be a legitimate threat to Paris. Toronto is simply capitalizing on the Pan Am fever running through the city right now (which is believe it or not extremely palpable and somewhat unexpected), as well as a new mayor, provincial government and likely all three major federal parties in support of a bid.

I think for some strange reason you may be fearing Toronto, and so you are trying to put it down anyway you possibly can to make yourself feel better.

Edited by ofan

No, sure don't get me wrong. I do think they have a better chance that Boston. And I do understand how the PanAm do help. I just feel it's a bit too soon, isn't it? And Paris might be a fruntrunner but there are many things in their bid (and oh I wish I knew more about Paris bid) that the IOC might not like, so...to be fair,I think this 2024 race will be quite interesting to follow (unlike some recent host city election which I couldn't care less about).

No, sure don't get me wrong. I do think they have a better chance that Boston. And I do understand how the PanAm do help. I just feel it's a bit too soon, isn't it? And Paris might be a fruntrunner but there are many things in their bid (and oh I wish I knew more about Paris bid) that the IOC might not like, so...to be fair,I think this 2024 race will be quite interesting to follow (unlike some recent host city election which I couldn't care less about).

yeah, I'd say it's a little too soon. But you can't get it if you don't try at some point, and Toronto hasn't been great at picking their battles in the past (1996, 2008)

You're being extremely obnoxious right now, and it's showing a slight bit of paranoia on your part. No one is denying that Paris is a virtual shoo-in for 2024 (if not Paris, then someone from Europe). There is no need to put down Toronto, a city which in many bidding cycles would be a legitimate threat to Paris. Toronto is simply capitalizing on the Pan Am fever running through the city right now (which is believe it or not extremely palpable and somewhat unexpected), as well as a new mayor, provincial government and likely all three major federal parties in support of a bid.

I think for some strange reason you may be fearing Toronto, and so you are trying to put it down anyway you possibly can to make yourself feel better.

Hello you! What about the jokes on my pseudo? Well, let me tell you. I get the whole WOOOOOOOW THE PANAMS WHERE SO FUCKING BRILLIANT! But did all the previous PanAms host cities bid for Olympics for that same reason? No they didn't (apart from Rio). Canada DID host Games in 2010, don't deny it. And they were great Games. I will never deny that. And you should know by know that I might support Paris 2024, but I DO NOT think it should be considered a frontrunner. No city should be actually.

I like though how you think Toronto would put down Paris based on the 2008 bid...Ahahahahah. Oh well, you're from Toronto, I'm from Paris. Let's agree to disagree, shall we? Good luck my friend, and let the fun begin!

yeah, I'd say it's a little too soon. But you can't get it if you don't try at some point, and Toronto hasn't been great at picking their battles in the past (1996, 2008)

Oh so we actually can agree on something. My bad.

So what if Canada hosted the WOGs in 2010. That was a WINTER Olympic games! And they were both different cities that hosted the games. And if anyone is trying to be arrogant right now it's not Toronto just for considering bidding on the 2024 SOGs, it's supporters of the Paris bid such as yourself who try to belittle other bids because Paris is considered the automatic favorite that are the arrogant ones. Just because Paris is the favorite does not mean they WILL get the games. Remember 2012? How did being the favorite go for you that time? And how did Beijing being the favorites in 2000 go for them? Yes you may have the best shot, BUT it is not a guaranteed bid. If you submit crap to the IOC and every other bid submits something brilliant, Paris CAN and WILL lose the race once again. So cut your Parisian arrogance down a few dozen notches. No one here dislikes you because you post, they dislike you because what you post is crap most of the time.

Is Toronto seriously bidding for 2024?? I'm gonna be honnest with you guys and will get some of you guys hate me (that's what happens whenever I write something here) but, by bidding right now they seem a bit too arogant about themselves, like, they know who is already bidding and still think they have a chance (and we all know it's Europe time!). Weird. But, I can't help to think that they're doing what Paris did in 2008. Just preparing for the next bid. They know the US are struggling to get their stuff together, and they also know that 2028 could be the year of a North American Olympics. I don't think Africa will show up before 2032, so I do think Toronto would be smart on bidding for 2028, but a 2024 has to be a warm-up bid. Then they should be aware that Paris had had 3 warm up bids before this one, so...Oh, but yet again, so did Madrid. Arf.... Anyway, I won't lie and say that I'd be a bit gutted if Toronto get the 2024 Games against Paris...

Very, very accurate trajectory of thought here. I am actually starting to second guess just who are the people running that city. This is way too rash and in Toronto's case, THAT is dangerous. They had years to prepare for the B rated Pan Ams and look - they fell short of acing what needed to be aced. I would suggest to the Toronto people to try a Commonwealth Games Bid first. This is what they should have gone after in the first place. Use the Commonwealths to correct the flaws that were so obvious with the Pan Ams. Get off the "greenness" that was so unmistakable with the Pan Am experience.THEN go after the Olympics. Toronto will just lose....AGAIN. Which would be a most unfortunate thing. Then the city's image would suffer a Dynasty styled bitch-slap.

So what if Canada hosted the WOGs in 2010. That was a WINTER Olympic games! And they were both different cities that hosted the games.

Doesn't stop many people always citing that against a U.S. Summer bid. Whether right or wrong, Vancouver 2010 will factor in there somewhere. For a nation of just 35 million, they've had quite a good share of the Olympic pie already.

And if anyone is trying to be arrogant right now it's not Toronto just for considering bidding on the 2024 SOGs, it's supporters of the Paris bid such as yourself who try to belittle other bids because Paris is considered the automatic favorite that are the arrogant ones.

Okay, so how is anyone "belittling" other bids here for simply pointing out objective POV's in regards to Paris. JO simply pointed out that Canada has already hosted as recent as 2010. And then you two just lashed out at him by calling him "obnoxious" & "arrogant" for stating his view. I think such accusations are absolutely laughable. Especially since he's done the same with the U.S. 2024 bid, that "it's time for something new". So I don't think he's just singling out Canada in that aspect.

If you think the Paris supporters here are being "arrogant", then you ain't seen nothin'! You shoulda been here a couple of years ago when the INSUFFABLE Spainard's were here in full-force with their "Castilian arrogance" & they actually were the ones "belittling & putting down" Tokyo & Istanbul with their totally BIAS, "obnoxious" & subjective views. But I'm sure that woulda been okay with you cuz it was your 'precious' Madrid. :-P At least with Paris, there's plenty of REASONS to consider them way at the front of the pack.

Just because Paris is the favorite does not mean they WILL get the games. Remember 2012? How did being the favorite go for you that time? And how did Beijing being the favorites in 2000 go for them? Yes you may have the best shot, BUT it is not a guaranteed bid. If you submit crap to the IOC and every other bid submits something brilliant, Paris CAN and WILL lose the race once again. So cut your Parisian arrogance down a few dozen notches. No one here dislikes you because you post, they dislike you because what you post is crap most of the time.

How much more disingenuous can you be here! Yeah, Paris was the favorite for 2012, but London was in fact a LEGITIMATE contender. The two most European alpha cities duking it out for the gold! As for Beijing, yeah they lost 2000 (& by a mere two votes, I might add), but they came back for 2008 & literally SWEPT the floor with their competition! This time, there's no other big alpha city player in the mix, & no big elephant in the room new frontier bid like Beijing. So Paris' chances are subsantially better this time bcuz of those two big missing elements in the 2024 race. As long as South Africa doesn't change it's mind, Paris is going to be a monster of an opponent.

And come on, get real! You think Paris is going to submit a "crappy" 2024 bid?! :rolleyes: Uh, they've already done this a few times already, so that's not going to be an issue. As for the others submitting something "brilliant", that's a subjective point anyway, especially when it comes to 100+ fastidious IOC members. And that's what I believe it would have to take to over throw the French again this time. But I don't see any of the other cities wanting to come fourth being able to do that anyway. And as far as JO's "Parisian arrogance", again, did not intially see that from him in this thread.

This video clip has an interview with Canadian Olympic gold medalist kayaker Adam van Koeverden on Toronto's 2024 bid. It seems like he will be highly involved with it

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/26/canadian-olympic-committee-president-confirms-plan-to-bid-for-toronto-2024-games

Video: CTV News Toronto: Sights set on 2024 Olympics

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=665423

So what if Canada hosted the WOGs in 2010. That was a WINTER Olympic games! And they were both different cities that hosted the games. And if anyone is trying to be arrogant right now it's not Toronto just for considering bidding on the 2024 SOGs, it's supporters of the Paris bid such as yourself who try to belittle other bids because Paris is considered the automatic favorite that are the arrogant ones. Just because Paris is the favorite does not mean they WILL get the games. Remember 2012? How did being the favorite go for you that time? And how did Beijing being the favorites in 2000 go for them? Yes you may have the best shot, BUT it is not a guaranteed bid. If you submit crap to the IOC and every other bid submits something brilliant, Paris CAN and WILL lose the race once again. So cut your Parisian arrogance down a few dozen notches. No one here dislikes you because you post, they dislike you because what you post is crap most of the time.

Jee, read what I write before you write you attack. Did I ever say that I consider Paris a frontrunner? No. I'm probably the only one here not too. So calm down honey.

• Like 1