Looking forward to this potential bid - have got my venues ideas lined up. I'll let you see them soon enough. (I've taken out Wrestling, and added Squash btw)

Given that the IOC prohibits corporate sponsorship of venues, some major venues will need renaming. The PanAms in 2014 has already got names for the Direct Energy Centre "Toronto Sports Centre" and BMO Field "National Soccer Stadium", among others. But what would you rename the Air Canada Centre to? As a (near definite) landmark venue at the Games, a replacement name must be found.

I have a couple of ideas for a temporary name. Toronto Arena? Maple Leaf Centre? Canada Centre?

I personally thought that the "North Greenwich Arena" was a poor name for the O2 at London 2012, just using the "Dome" would have been better.

Any other ideas?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bore off.

Well, if Toronto had entered, and you were going to make a list of the minus frtactors for the bids, you cpould say: Madrid - Spain's economy is in really bad shape Japan - Although Pyeongchang shou

MisterSG1 is simply ignorant of the fact that his "Canada" was created by immigrants themselves, much like my "Australia" is. We should be grateful for the immigrant populations from all corners of th

Looking forward to this potential bid - have got my venues ideas lined up. I'll let you see them soon enough. (I've taken out Wrestling, and added Squash btw)

Given that the IOC prohibits corporate sponsorship of venues, some major venues will need renaming. The PanAms in 2014 has already got names for the Direct Energy Centre "Toronto Sports Centre" and BMO Field "National Soccer Stadium", among others. But what would you rename the Air Canada Centre to? As a (near definite) landmark venue at the Games, a replacement name must be found.

I have a couple of ideas for a temporary name. Toronto Arena? Maple Leaf Centre? Canada Centre?

I personally thought that the "North Greenwich Arena" was a poor name for the O2 at London 2012, just using the "Dome" would have been better.

Any other ideas?

Canada Indoor Stadium and call the main stadium Canada Stadium

We're really talking about venue names? :huh: Seriously!?!

I've recently have been in contact with authoritative figures, sporting community, etc. at a general lunch last week. Not going into detail as it is still very early but what I can say is the City of Toronto is quite confident and this thread will be very active by years end. It's already active but you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Not if the mighty Rochester, NY, steamrolls them!

What better way to convince the IOC than with this Rochester culinary staple!

800px-Nick_Tahou%27s_Garbage_Plate.JPG

Look! It's The Calamari Sisters, even though they're holding a dish of Lobster!

The_Calamari_Sisters.jpg

Edited by Lord David

Didn;t know where to post this but here:

Toronto Now the Fourth Largest City in North America

With the number of under-construction residential and commercial developments across the city coming in at record highs, it should come as no surprise that Toronto has become one of the most desirable places to live, work and play on the continent. As more residents and businesses move to Canada’s financial capital, census figures are beginning to reflect the dramatic changes in our city’s population, brought on by the ongoing development boom. The City of Toronto's annual population growth rate has increased steadily for the last 10 years and is now growing at an annual rate of about 38,000 people.

The City of Toronto's latest Economic Dashboard report - presented at today's meeting of the Economic Development Committee - states that Toronto has overtaken Chicago in population and is now the fourth largest city in North America. The City of Chicago's population was most recently estimated at 2,707,120 while the City of Toronto's total population is now estimated at 2,791,140 – supplanting Chicago’s position of fourth-largest city while placing Toronto behind urban heavyweights Mexico City, New York City and Los Angeles. "These population figures are another sign confirming Toronto's steady growth," said Mayor Rob Ford. "Toronto is a desirable location for people to live and work. We are attracting people from across North America and other parts of the world."

Last month, City Council endorsed a new economic growth plan, called Collaborating for Competitiveness - A Strategic Plan to Accelerate Economic Growth and Job Creation in Toronto. The plan sets targets for improving the quality of jobs in Toronto and commits to harmonizing the policies/activities of the City of Toronto and its agencies to help create a more attractive climate for business and investment. As our population swells towards the 3 million mark, these types of economic growth and infrastructure plans are a crucial element in maintaining Toronto’s position among the frontrunners of North America’s greatest cities.

Chicago's metro population, though, is almost twice that of Toronto's. Toronto's metro is more comparable to U.S. cities like Philadelphia, Dallas & Houston.

Yeah that's right.

Toronto's downtown is leading the charge with population growth. A lot of young professionals and even young families are choosing to live downtown nowadays. The development is unprecedented in Toronto's history. Toronto's Metro region is at 5.6 million with an increase of 9.2% according to the 2011 census. I'm not sure how big of an area both cities metros cover against each other. The Greater Golden Horseshoe is at 8.7 million to note. Toronto city proper will continue to see big population increases especially when all these condo towers currently under construction and proposed are built. And these aren't small buildings.

While I agree the growth of Toronto is remarkable, I'm always skeptical of counting government areas - as they are usually extremely arbitrary. Going by this methodology, Brisbane is Australia's largest city, as the City of Brisbane covers a large chunk of the metro area, whereas Melbourne and Sydney are governed by 30-odd smaller Councils with populations ranging between 50-300,000.

Regardless of the technicalities, Toronto is booming, without doubt. Just in terms of metro area Mexico City, NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas are all still in front. Given that, it is only NYC, Chicago and Toronto that I'd find appealing to live in.

Its March report should be coming in the next couple of weeks.

Looking at the schedule the meeting was actually today (March 5, 2013) and nothing is listed about the Olympics.

Edited by intoronto

Its March report should be coming in the next couple of weeks.

Looking at the schedule the meeting was actually today (March 5, 2013) and nothing is listed about the Olympics.

How do you know the meeting was today?

Am I missing something? The Olympic bid isn't mentioned here.

That's the point. Nothing about the Olympics and this is their March meeting. The report was supposed to be submitted today but there isn't a mention of it.