Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

I think the idea of sticking cauldrons on existing structures is just tacky, same as the *ring of fire* concept people kept boning on about in the lead up to Vancouver.

Keep it classy.

Design an ace cauldron or smaller cauldron tower, dont just whack a flame on top of the resident observatory tower in the city.

Instead, think of some neat ways to incorporate the landmark in the general urban design of the Games, like Sydney did with their sculptures on the Sydney tower.

Maybe Lord David's idea is best. Who knows when Toronto hosts in the future what the technology might hold

• 1 month later...

The Feds don't want to support a World Expo bid for 2025. Now Toronto city council can concentrate only on a 2024 Olympic bid with their preliminary study which is to be released in I believe March.

What message would an expo bid even bring after Canada withdrew from 2012 for financial reasons, the only other country to do so was Greece (which is understandable).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is converting Toronto Olympic Stadium to a new baseball stadium for the Blue Jays an option after the 2024 Olympics if Toronto becomes the host city?

More likely it would be downsized and used by the Argonauts post-games unless a NFL franchise relocated. A 40,000 seat venue for the Argonauts would be good.

The Bill's just signed a 10-year deal in Buffalo. No NFL team coming to Toronto.

Which puts it at the mid 2020's around the time the Olympics would be over and downgrading would take place. However I do think the NFL will not succeed in Toronto.

Is converting Toronto Olympic Stadium to a new baseball stadium for the Blue Jays an option after the 2024 Olympics if Toronto becomes the host city?

I doubt it. Rogers is heavily investing into the Rogers Centre. Who knows though.

More likely it would be downsized and used by the Argonauts post-games unless a NFL franchise relocated. A 40,000 seat venue for the Argonauts would be good.

Most likely option, but with Rogers telling the Argos behind the scenes to leave around 2015 the Argos are likely going to have to build a stadium sooner rather then later.

Edited by intoronto1125

The Feds don't want to support a <b>World Expo bid for 2025</b>. Now Toronto city council can concentrate only on a 2024 Olympic bid with their preliminary study which is to be released in I believe March.

Technically, it was the 2017 bid they trashed, which was to be held in Edmonton :P

That would be one hell of a downsizing, since I think the main venue needs to be at least 60,000 seats strong.

Technically, it was the 2017 bid they trashed, which was to be held in Edmonton :P

That would be one hell of a downsizing, since I think the main venue needs to be at least 60,000 seats strong.

No he is right it was 2025 bid that they rejected.

The stadium is 60,000 but you won/t win unless you propose something bigger then the minimum.

80,000 seat main stadium, 4 tiers, remove the top two tiers

Most likely option, but with Rogers telling the Argos behind the scenes to leave around 2015 the Argos are likely going to have to build a stadium sooner rather then later.

A semi-permanent structure such as the Empire Stadium built for the Lions could be developed .... if Toronto get the games in 2017, the stadium could be opened by 2021

I doubt it. Rogers is heavily investing into the Rogers Centre. Who knows though.

I thought there was rumblings of a baseball specific stadium to be built for the Jays in the distant future. I doubt the Jays will still be playing in the Rogers Centre in 10-15 years. The place is getting old and its just not a great draw as a baseball stadium.

Yeah I'm starting to think that seems like the logical route to go but if the city does build such a massive stadium I think they'll really intensify their push for that NFL expansion franchise. Build it and they will come :P

As some of you might be aware, the amount of development currently taking place in Toronto is astounding. The city leads the Western world in the total amount of construction taking place. I was just on another forum and someone who is obviously skilled at creating future renders shared this and I wanted to share it with those here who are interested. It totally blows my mind how much my city has grown over the past decade and leading into the next.

cherry-oxford.jpg

• Like 1

More highrises under construction then New York, Chicago and La Combined

I thought there was rumblings of a baseball specific stadium to be built for the Jays in the distant future. I doubt the Jays will still be playing in the Rogers Centre in 10-15 years. The place is getting old and its just not a great draw as a baseball stadium.

I heard that too. I don't know why Rogers will want to move when its investing heavily into the stadium right now.

More highrises under construction then New York, Chicago and La Combined

I heard that too. I don't know why Rogers will want to move when its investing heavily into the stadium right now.

It's a temporary fix. Like I said, the earliest I can see the Jays moving out of this stadium is 10-15 years minimum. Investing in upgrading this stadium in the meantime is really not that crazy for Rogers.

Yeah I'm starting to think that seems like the logical route to go but if the city does build such a massive stadium I think they'll really intensify their push for that NFL expansion franchise. Build it and they will come :P

You'd be looking at a US $1billion for a franchise and the Toronto series hasn't really been an outstanding success.

If you look at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban

MMS.jpg

For FIFA2010 it has a capacity of 62,760 seats, has been down sized to 54,000 seats now, can hold 69,000 seats for cricket and can temporarily be upscaled to 80,000 seats for an Olympic scales or FIFA World Cup Final. This design by GMP could be easily adapted to 4 tiers from 3 tiers. The bigger CFL field means the sightlines won't be as difficult to accommodate as for a NFL surface.

As both Atlanta and Montreal showed, it is difficult to convert a Track & Field stadium to Baseball with significant compromise to either, and if the Blue Jays required a retractable roof would make it even more difficult.

A stadium with an Argonauts principle tenant but available for NCAA games, and athletics (Commonwealth, Worlds etc) plus soccer and concerts wouldn't require a NFL tenant. Design it with sliding stand technology (Stade de France) and it would be even better

You'd be looking at a US $1billion for a franchise and the Toronto series hasn't really been an outstanding success.

If you look at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban

For FIFA2010 it has a capacity of 62,760 seats, has been down sized to 54,000 seats now, can hold 69,000 seats for cricket and can temporarily be upscaled to 80,000 seats for an Olympic scales or FIFA World Cup Final. This design by GMP could be easily adapted to 4 tiers from 3 tiers. The bigger CFL field means the sightlines won't be as difficult to accommodate as for a NFL surface.

As both Atlanta and Montreal showed, it is difficult to convert a Track & Field stadium to Baseball with significant compromise to either, and if the Blue Jays required a retractable roof would make it even more difficult.

A stadium with an Argonauts principle tenant but available for NCAA games, and athletics (Commonwealth, Worlds etc) plus soccer and concerts wouldn't require a NFL tenant. Design it with sliding stand technology (Stade de France) and it would be even better

NCAA??

Montreal showed that. Atlanta didn't. Olympic Stadium in Montreal, for all of the construction issues, was ill-suited for baseball from day 1 because they made few changes to the stadium after the Olympics. As opposed to Atlanta where the transition to baseball was very much pre-planned. Of course the flip side to that is Centennial Olympic Stadium as it originally was built only existed for about a year, if even that.

My understanding of Rogers Centre (and this has been discussed here before).. they're looking at installing a natural grass surface there for the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. Once that happens, they'll no longer be able to convert the stadium for CFL which is why the Argonauts are essentially being kicked out of the building. But it also means the Blue Jays could be staying there for the forseeable future, especially if they start being competitive in the AL East and there's a pretty good chance that happens this year. No idea what that does for the Argos, but there could be a need for a new stadium in Toronto on that basis.

NCAA??

or whatever the college football bowl is called

Montreal showed that. Atlanta didn't. Olympic Stadium in Montreal, for all of the construction issues, was ill-suited for baseball from day 1 because they made few changes to the stadium after the Olympics. As opposed to Atlanta where the transition to baseball was very much pre-planned. Of course the flip side to that is Centennial Olympic Stadium as it originally was built only existed for about a year, if even that.

My understanding of Rogers Centre (and this has been discussed here before).. they're looking at installing a natural grass surface there for the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. Once that happens, they'll no longer be able to convert the stadium for CFL which is why the Argonauts are essentially being kicked out of the building. But it also means the Blue Jays could be staying there for the forseeable future, especially if they start being competitive in the AL East and there's a pretty good chance that happens this year. No idea what that does for the Argos, but there could be a need for a new stadium in Toronto on that basis.

As the Bills are signed through 2017 to play in Toronto and the Raiders/Athletics regularly share in Oakland as the Dolphins/Marlins did in Miami I am not sure why the Jays switching to grass makes much difference to the Argonauts. I think it is one extra home game, and plenty of fields not have a palletised form of grass field - Millenimum Stadium, LTU Arena - making it easy to switch out the playing surface

or whatever the college football bowl is called

I assume you're referring to the International Bowl.. which ceased operation after the 2010 game and is no longer in existence

As the Bills are signed through 2017 to play in Toronto and the Raiders/Athletics regularly share in Oakland as the Dolphins/Marlins did in Miami I am not sure why the Jays switching to grass makes much difference to the Argonauts. I think it is one extra home game, and plenty of fields not have a palletised form of grass field - Millenimum Stadium, LTU Arena - making it easy to switch out the playing surface

I would be happy to explain that one to you.. the way they're planning on installing grass for the Blue Jays means they won't be able to reconfigure the stands and swap out playing surfaces for the Argos. The Bills aren't affected because that game is played after MLB season is over. Not so for the Argos who have nearly their entire regular season overlap with when the Rogers Centre needs to be available for baseball. The situation isn't comparable to Oakland or Miami (or any of the other stadia that have hosted both NFL and MLB. Those are not domes. What is being planned for the Blue Jays precludes that from happening in season. Hence why the Argos are being told to find somewhere else to play. Just because other stadiums can do something does not mean that provision can easily be built into an existing stadium.

I assume you're referring to the International Bowl.. which ceased operation after the 2010 game and is no longer in existence

I would be happy to explain that one to you.. the way they're planning on installing grass for the Blue Jays means they won't be able to reconfigure the stands and swap out playing surfaces for the Argos. The Bills aren't affected because that game is played after MLB season is over. Not so for the Argos who have nearly their entire regular season overlap with when the Rogers Centre needs to be available for baseball. The situation isn't comparable to Oakland or Miami (or any of the other stadia that have hosted both NFL and MLB. Those are not domes. What is being planned for the Blue Jays precludes that from happening in season. Hence why the Argos are being told to find somewhere else to play. Just because other stadiums can do something does not mean that provision can easily be built into an existing stadium.

Exactly.