Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Toronto NOT bidding for 2024:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2015/09/14/torontos-olympic-bid-decision-waits-until-the-last-minute.html

Guess we'll come back here in the run up to 2028! Allez Paris 2024!

Let's see how Los Angeles pans out. I still don't think they'll win but you never know. If LA comes back for 2028 they'll probably be considered the front runners as its due to come back to North America and they bid for 2024. Toronto will be a not too far second

Let's see how Los Angeles pans out. I still don't think they'll win but you never know. If LA comes back for 2028 they'll probably be considered the front runners as its due to come back to North America and they bid for 2024. Toronto will be a not too far second

Cannot see Toronto beating LA in 2028 if it comes down to that. Europe/LA/Durban pattern is looking increasingly likely now.

Inevitable, really. Toronto would be a great host, and it also needs to do some ground work with transit and venues to position itself to host an affordable games.

If Toronto really wants the Olympics it should have handled the Pan-American Games the way Rio did and built more venues in the city capable of hosting the big show.

"Instead, Mr. Henderson has already begun lobbying for a 2026 Winter Olympics bid, saying the downhill skiing events could be co-hosted by an American town, such as Lake Placid."

This just doesn't make any sense to me. There's no upside to this idea.

1) The New York venues are themselves insufficient for a contemporary winter games.

2) Canada already has two perfectly viable winter host cities out west.

3) The IOC is not going to want to give the games to Canada again so soon after Vancouver 2010.

4) The IOC is not going to like a dual country bid.

5) Canadians are not going to like a dual country bid.

6) The USA does not need to share the games with Canada. If the USOC wants to host the winter games it has half a dozen options within its own country.

Edited by Nacre

Inevitable, really. Toronto would be a great host, and it also needs to do some ground work with transit and venues to position itself to host an affordable games.

If Toronto really wants the Olympics it should have handled the Pan-American Games the way Rio did and built more venues in the city capable of hosting the big show.

This just doesn't make any sense to me. There's no upside to this idea.

3) The IOC is not going to want to give the games to Canada again so soon after Vancouver 2010.

6) The USA does not need to share the games with Canada. If the USOC wants to host the winter games it has half a dozen options within its own country.

3) Yea, no. If Canada had entered with Calgary for the 2022 games, they would have taken home the prize. But not with another Vancouver bid, and not with a Quebec City/Lake Placid bid.

6) Totally agree with this. Quebec's prospects of ever hosting a WOGs need to just completely die. It's rather pathetic to think moving the downhill events to another city 250 miles away in another country. If the US wants to host an Olympic downhill event it will do so with its own US bid. The US does not need to nor does it want to share an event with Canada ever, whether it's an Olympic games, Rugby or Soccer/Football world cup.

Just to beat a dead horse, even Portland could build a better bid than Montreal or Toronto + Lake Placid.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Portland,+OR/Mt+Hood+Meadows+Ski+Resort,+14040+hwy+35,+Mount+Hood,+OR+97041/@45.5812453,-122.6148481,8.5z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x54950b0b7da97427:0x1c36b9e6f6d18591!2m2!1d-122.6764816!2d45.5230622!1m5!1m1!1s0x549509fc7b558e2d:0xf901251e42ec04f5!2m2!1d-121.664763!2d45.331468

3) Yea, no. If Canada had entered with Calgary for the 2022 games, they would have taken home the prize. But not with another Vancouver bid, and not with a Quebec City/Lake Placid bid.

I don't know. I think the IOC sees 2022 as a disaster because the European cities pulled out of bidding, not because the games are going to China. The non-western voters likely see things differently than the people posting on Gamesbids, and are probably happy about a non-western city hosting the Winter Games.

Cannot see Toronto beating LA in 2028 if it comes down to that. Europe/LA/Durban pattern is looking increasingly likely now.

It is amazing, isn't it, given the problems the IOC has with Winter bids that it feels like we already have a good idea of where the next three Summer Games could be.

Isn't a bit far to say Rome and Hamburg have a better chance then LA just because of them being in Europe.

My feeling at the moment - and this is a hunch, is that Paris is a big frontrunner. I'd put Rome, Hamburg and LA more or less level after that as potential spoilers (with Rome perhaps a little further back on economic considerations), and then as far behind those three as Paris is ahead of them, Budapest.

My feeling at the moment - and this is a hunch, is that Paris is a big frontrunner. I'd put Rome, Hamburg and LA more or less level after that as potential spoilers (with Rome perhaps a little further back on economic considerations), and then as far behind those three as Paris is ahead of them, Budapest.

My sentiments exactly.

It would have been exciting to see Toronto enter the race but no one can fault John Tory for saying No at this time considering the tight time constraints. Had city council continued the study in 2014 instead of voting it down it would have been a different story now. Considering the city went through all this the past couple months, we can safely assume Toronto will be back for 2028.

• Like 1

I don't want to look mean, but... In the GB story, I find the part about the Mayor and the authorities in Toronto discovering suddenly the IOC bid process and the significance of the September 15 milestone totally ridiculous. Toronto has bid previously, the process is well known. Where was the "IOC pressure" there ?

^I'm assuming Tory's over-the-phone-discussion with Bach this past weekend is where that seeming interpretation came from. I'm sure Bach would've wanted yet another feasible option on the 2024 table after the 2022 debacle (& it's the same BS strategy he used with the USOC, when Boston finally sank, that he still expects them to "fulfill their commitment to bid").

But I tend to agree, it's not like Toronto is totally new to this bidding game anyway. And it's not like the IOC could do anything about a city pulling out after the fact, ie Rome 2020 & Oslo 2022. And heck, Oslo pulled out when they were already in the short-list phase, soo, there ya go. The only thing you lose is perhaps the time & money already invested up to that point.