Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

I would rather Toronto bid with a plan that fits what the Barcelona mayor from 1992 described as the winning strategy for hosting an Olympics. Make the Olympics fit the city, not the city fit the Olympics.

I do not see a point in bidding for any games before 2036.

If Toronto proposed a plan similar to what they have delivered for the Pan American games, they will fail. And while what they have works for the Pan American games, it will not work for the SOGs. Whatever plan they put in place needs to make sure that the majority of the venues will be within walking distance of a subway station, because their streetcar and buses will not handle that much of an influx of people. So a subway line or something way more efficient MUST be created to get to Exhibition Place if it is to host a lot of the events again.

I totally agree with you here. There is a new subway line in the works labeled the "Downtown Relief Line", this would be fast tracked if the city was ever successful with this bid. There is a couple other subway line expansions in the works too but the crucial one would be the DRL

I just hope that if Toronto does decide to bid that the plan is quite similar to it's 2008 bid. However, selling a bid to the Federal government of Canada would be much easier task if venues were shared with other municipalities.

Toronto did have slightly spread out venue plan for 2008. There were a few such as equestrian and mountain biking. It would be stupid to bid with a plan worse than in 2008.

Yes but the more popular sports were in downtown Toronto.

Let's discuss what new venue builds a 2024 bid would require besides the Athletic stadium. Capacity wise the venues for the Pan Am games are kinda small. Can the GTA support two Veledrome's and Aquatic Centre's?

Edited by dave199

Yes but the more popular sports were in downtown Toronto.

Let's discuss what new venue builds a 2024 bid would require besides the Athletic stadium. Capacity wise the venues for the Pan Am games are kinda small. Can the GTA support two Veledrome's and Aquatic Centre's?

They will have to pretty much build almost everything from scratch again or heavily renovate them because the capacities are simply too small.

The only existing stadiums that wouldn't need any renovation are Rogers Centre, BMO Field and Air Canada Centre.

It looks highly probably Toronto will bid. If they do I will support. As for its chances, I think the city could build momentum in this race but I'm not going to go crazy and say its going to beat Paris at this time. It's very early and things can change from now until the vote in 2017. I think Paris will be hard to beat but I wouldn't just dust Toronto off to the side. They would be a very strong alternative if voters feel like going back to North America. We just don't know what the majority of voting members are thinking and how receptive they would be to that. I feel the initial support will be from Latin and Central American voting members and European members who's countries are planning a bid for 2028 or get knocked out of the 2024 race. The key is the African and Asian vote and Toronto will have it's work cut out for them to win over votes from those regions.

Edited by dave199

They would be a very strong alternative if voters feel like going back to North America. We just don't know what the majority of voting members are thinking and how receptive they would be to that.

We never know about what the majority of members are thinking. But we have pretty good indicators as to what they're probably not thinking about. And for this cycle, I doubt it's North America. Especially when 2024 would mark an unprecendented 16-year absense if the IOC went elsewhere besides Europe. Not very likely that they'll do that, not when they have a very good crop of European cities to chose from now. And when 2022 was a European no-show. Not to mention the unprecendented three consecutive Asian Olympics. The IOC is most likely biting at the bit to get back to Europe ASAP.

I feel the initial support will be from Latin and Central American voting members and European members who's countries are planning a bid for 2028 or get knocked out of the 2024 race.

We already have three of the top European countries plannig bids now, though. So who else would be left. Spain? They already said they aren't bidding again anytime soon. Albeit they "could" change their mind. You know those crazy Spanairds! :-D

Russia? Doubt the IOC wants that headache again anytime soon. The U.K.? The Brits are out due to 2012. So else is left? Poland? Portugal? Lichtenstein? Nope. Nope & nope.

And yeah, while plausible Germany & Italy could go against Paris if they fall first, the same could be said as well when Boston drops first. The USOC could then push for Europe to get 2024 so they can come back for 2028. So its a wash in either aspect then.

I can. We've seen it before..

2012bid.jpg

New York had many problems. I hope I don't offend the American posters here but Toronto has the advantage of not being American in this race. There is still anti-American sentiments within the IOC, I'm sure they love all the money the US throws their way still. :lol:

New York had many problems. I hope I don't offend the American posters here but Toronto has the advantage of not being American in this race. There is still anti-American sentiments within the IOC, I'm sure they love all the money the US throws their way still. :lol:

I wouldn't say that's their advantage, more so the fact that Toronto is not Boston.

I would rather Toronto bid with a plan that fits what the Barcelona mayor from 1992 described as the winning strategy for hosting an Olympics. Make the Olympics fit the city, not the city fit the Olympics.

... or have an authoritarian IOC president hail from your city and fiddle the books. Barcelona 92 was iconic, but we all know 1992 should have gone to Paris.

2024 in NOT the race for Toronto. In light of what has surfaced with the Pan Ams, they should sit out of this race. Paris has a strong cause for 2024 because the year will be significant to the Olympic movement.

Like Athens 96?

You're right Toronto will have a hard job beating Paris - for many, many reasons - but you've given one of the few reasons that isn't a real factor. :lol:

Edited by Rob.

Yes, Paris is not bidding for 2024 because of their 1924's Olympic Games centennary. They made that clear, and that would scare the IOC away. Toronto and Paris being in the 2008 race was a completely different thing though. I don't really care if Toronto bids, it doesn't feel like a major threat to me. And yes, Vancouver 2010 might be a bit of the reason why....

They made that clear, and that would scare the IOC away.

It's not a matter of the IOC being scared of that, moreso getting annoyed by it. That's why the bid committee has already said that isn't going to be a focus on that aspect.

Not publicly. But you can sure bet that the French will be lobbying using the 100 year gap when no other Western nation (with the ability to host) has had to wait that long.

It is a waste of time for Toronto to bid. If you beat Paris, you aren't beating Rome or Hamburg. It would be New York in the 2012 race all over again. If Canada wants the Summer Olympics they need to go head to head with the USA in a winnable year, 2028.

This bodes well for public support. Shall we expect another poll out at the end of Pan am for 2024 support? I would think so. Pan Am Games have caused no disruptions: two thirds

Toronto @_JohnTory 5h5 hours ago

Who commissioned this Forum Poll? the results of which almost guarantee a John Tory #Toronto2024 Olympic bid http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/322?key=E8F24C857F3041E8BF9A25C0CCF9ED3E #topoli

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that's their advantage, more so the fact that Toronto is not Boston.

Boston's bid is a mess and pretty much a wrap, I doubt Toronto is checking for them much. Maybe only when they drop their bid. They probably view themselves as the only strong contender in North America for this cycle and a strong alternate to Europe as the race evolves.

To those saying Toronto is wasting their time, they won't ever win a games unless they try. I'll let the bid experts and city officials decide that. They must have more insight then me or any other member on this site. If they feel like there's absolutely ZERO chance to win why would they bid?

They should only bid for 2024 if they're ready & willing to lose & go again in 2028. It's extremely unlikely that they'll win 24 against Paris, but a bid could help TO get acquainted with the current IOC & get back into the bidding game ahead of a proper crack at 28.

Indeed. Toronto could do like Paris did in 2001, for 2008. They were having a bid just to make it stronger the next time (2012), cause they knew it would be Beijing to get those Games. It's not the best example, as Madrid tried three times in the row to get the SOG (2012, 2016, 2020) but it didn't work (though Madrid, as a Spanish city, coudn't obviously get the Games in 2012, 20 years only after Barcelona, 2016 wasn't even possible straight after Games in Europe, London 2012, and 2020, with their really bad economy, just no). So, Toronto could try and see for 2024, with a poor probability to get the Games, and have a stronger bid for the obvious North American Games of 2028 (I do think that Africa will be ready for 2032, not before), and maybe Australia could get the 2036 Games. Yes, no SOG in Asia before that (hopefully) after three consecutive Games in 2018, 2020 and 2022 (South Korea, Japan, and China)....

To those saying Toronto is wasting their time, they won't ever win a games unless they try. I'll let the bid experts and city officials decide that. They must have more insight then me or any other member on this site. If they feel like there's absolutely ZERO chance to win why would they bid?

Bid 'experts' & city officials aren't the ones that ultimately *decide* the host city, though. That's all the IOC. And those are the ones who's 'insight' really matters here. Many here have also seen several races unfold over the years to indeed have some insight as to how these things can go. Besides, that's precisely what these boards are for. To digest & analyse all of the information that we get & discuss here. So I wouldn't necessarily so non-chalantly just brush that aside.

Sometimes these so-called 'experts' don't know much anyway, cuz a lot of the time, they blindly go into this by just drawing up some blue prints & throwing some numbers around & then merely thinking "we can do this", without really thinking about the more complexity of the inner geopolitics that surrounds the IOC & the strategy that it really takes to win them over.

Just look at Boston's "expert" bid & city officials (not to mention the USOC itself). You would think that all of them would have all the expertise that they needed in order to proceed with this. But that's not how this has unfolded whatsoever.

Then you have Paris on the other side of the spectrum. Who knows very darn well what's involved here cuz they've done it a few times before already. They're not entering this again to just lose. They're in it this fourth time to win it all, especially when just a year ago it wasn't clear at all whether they'd bid or not.

Hamburg is not playing to lose either. I doubt either is Rome. The geopolitics so much are favoring Europe this time around (id say even moreso than it was for 2012), that yeah, anyone else trying to challange that (unless it was South Africa) would pretty much be foolhardy. Not to mention when we also take it into account by individual countries; France, Germany & even Italy still come out on top geopolitically over Canada.

Yeah, you can't win if you don't play. But one should also play it smart. You'd really be just throwing the dice around on this one, with the odds so much in favor on the house. Extreme partiality is not really a good way to try & enter a competition when the odds aren't really in your court at all. Once Europe is outta the way, North America's chances would dramatically increase.

• Like 1