Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

As was expected, talks about a Toronto Olympic bid are ramping up with the arrival of the Pan Am Games. Will Toronto bid for 2024? 2028 seems more likely.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/toronto-should-bid-for-olympics-again-marcel-aubut-1.3107772

Toronto should bid for Olympics again: Marcel Aubut
Canadian Olympic Committee boss says Pan Am Games venues a big boost

CBC Sports Posted: Jun 10, 2015 12:35 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 10, 2015 12:38 PM ET

marcel-aubut.jpg

Marcel Aubut, president of the Canadian Olympic committee, says it's time for Canada, and Toronto, specifically, to bid for a Summer Olympics again. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press)

13 shares
facebook-up.png
Facebook
twitter-up.png
Twitter
reddit-up.png
Reddit
plus-up.png
Google
share-up.png
email-up.png
Email

Canadian Olympic Committee president Marcel Aubut told the Toronto Star that Toronto is ready to bid again for the Summer Olympics and is "the only Canadian city that could offer the site to do this," in reference to holding a Summer Olympics.

Aubut, who is a member of the board for the 2015 Pan Am Games, said that the venues and organization built for the Toronto events make it "a dress rehearsal for something bigger."

Toronto was an unsuccessful Olympic bidder for the 1996 Summer Games held in Atlanta and the 2008 Olympics held in Beijing. International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach has led his organization into a series of 40 changes, mostly aimed at financial reform after the Olympics became too pricey for most bidders.

Russia spent a record $51 billion US for the 2014 Winter Olympics and the bidding for the 2022 Winter Games saw four European cities withdraw early reducing the field to just Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Aubut did not mention to the Toronto Star which Olympics that Toronto should pursue but indicated that he'd promote bid discussions after the 2015 Pan Am Games are completed. Tokyo, Japan has the rights for the 2020 Summer Olympics while Boston, Rome, Paris and Hamburg, Germany are bidding for 2024. The deadline for bidding on that event is September 2015 with a winner to be declared by the summer of 2017.

The overarching theme of 2014/15 seems to be national Olympic officials putting forward or talking up bids only for national governments or local populations to topple them.

The 2022 Winter Olympics (virtually every European entry), Edmonton's bid for the Commonwealth Games, today we learn of Netherlands pulling out of the 2019 European Games for the same reason. And of course we all know where Boston 2024 stands.

National Olympic Committees are always going to talk up a bid. I'll take Toronto seriously once its politicians take the idea seriously. Last I heard - and I know it was their former Mayor - the idea had been voted down.

Edited by Rob.

He's had a discussion with Toronto Mayor John Tory.

Aubut also believes the election of Mayor John Tory, succeeding Ford, will make this city more amenable to a bid. The COC president said he has spoken with Tory.

"Yes, one time," he recounted. "And we are agreed that it was important to wait until the end of the Pan Ams but the excitement of exploring this exists. We didn’t talk about the detail or any year (but we) guaranteed to each other that this is going to be a serious discussion after the Pan Am Games."

Tory could not be reached for comment.

Aubut said his public encouragement for a Toronto bid is meant to spark discussion and, he said, "I hope my voice will influence people." His term as COC president ends in 2017 and he’d like his legacy to be a "very serious process" underway to bring the Olympics to Toronto.

"I’m absolutely convinced that Toronto is ready."

If the marketing and the publicly visible aspects of the Pan Ams so far represent a ratio scale, then Toronto hosting an Olympics in the next 30 years is looking more like 0%. Look, do believe me when I tell you that I would love to see your city host the Olympic rings. I once believed that it would rival Sydney because, hands down, it remains one of the world's most glittering cities. BUT hosting the Olympics has a lot to do with sensational timing and extraordinary coordination and maximising opportunities. I am now convinced that "Toronto is New York run by.....do let us not go there. Anyway, I am not impressed so far with the preparatory and public FACE of the Pan Ams to restore OLYMPIC faith in Toronto. So far, everything has been too "ship shoddish" which is - for a city I adore - epically disappointing. Should the relevant authorities be listening, WHEN the 2026 FIFA World Cup bidding process is restored, CANADA should put in a bid given the fact that when FIFA was at its worst some 11 years earlier, it was Canada who preserved the dignity of FIFA and the game by hosting the Women's world cup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Toronto Councillor is really reaching with this attempt. Hosting some of the venues for the Boston bid? Really? <_< Mind you, this is the same guy that proposed submitting a co-host bid for the 2024 Olympics with Buffalo a year ago. Atleast the talk of bidding for 2024 has really picked up steam in Toronto over the past month. John Tory won't publicly discuss it until the Pan Am Games are done.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/18/toronto-to-offer-hosting-help-to-boston-in-olympic-bid

Edited by dave199

• 3 weeks later...

As expected, talks are really starting to ramp up about Toronto jumping back into the race. John Tory won't talk about this until the Pan Am games are done and a success. Thomas Bach will be in the city tomorrow and has a scheduled meeting with Tory. Plus there is a lot of chatter via various Canadian media outlets that the city will reverse the decision they made in January 2014 to not bid for 2024. Some Councillors are changing their tune on the issue. With Paris officially in this race, I'm really nervous going up against them this time. They're huge favourites. If Toronto does bid will this be the same scenario the city faced when they bid for 2008, where Beijing was the frontrunner by a huge margin? Should we actually give it another chance and let time and luck take its course?

Edited by dave199

Pan Am Games seen as possibly setting the stage for a Toronto Olympics bid

Jul 3 10:47 AM ET

More from Richard Warnica

john-tory1.jpg?w=620
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris YoungMayor John Tory, walking with his wife Barbara Hackett during Toronto’s Pride Parade on Sunday, said the Pan Am Games have helped set deadlines for progress.

Several prominent Torontonians see the upcoming Pan Am Games as a dry run for a possible Olympic bid — including Mayor John Tory.

In an interview with the National Post, Tory praised the Pan Am Games for bringing much-needed infrastructure to Toronto and suggested future games could do even more.

“Whether it’s the Olympics or the Pan Am Games or these kind of things, they open on a given day and you have to be ready,” he said. “The train to the airport … wouldn’t be running yet if the Pan Am Games weren’t happening.”

Tory wouldn’t commit to anything specific, saying he’d be guided by how “the overall Pan Am story goes.”

“But if you said to me, ‘Do I believe these international games are useful?’

“Yes I do.”

glenn-de-baeremaeker.jpg?w=238&h=329
Tyler Anderson/NP/FilesDeputy Mayor Glenn De Baeremaeker: A "reluctant convert" to the Olympic idea.

Toronto has tried and failed to bring the summer Olympics home twice before, in 1996 and 2008. The head of the Canadian Olympic Committee, Marcel Aubet, recently told the Toronto Star the city is primed to make another bid.

“My view is this country should look at the Summer Games as a priority and there’s not any other city in the country other than Toronto that could offer the site to do this,” Aubet told the newspaper.

Recent changes to Olympic bid rules, meanwhile, mean many of the facilities Ontario built for the Pan Am Games could be reused for a future Olympics, said Bob Richardson, the well-connected organizer behind Toronto’s Pan Am bid.

“Sochi was a wake-up call in terms of cost,” he said. “I think it’s a much more flexible proposition now.”

Richardson, who co-chaired Tory’s successful mayoral campaign, said the city’s priority for now should be on the Pan Am Games, which open on July 10. “We haven’t done anything for 80 years,” he said. “Let’s get this one right before we start worrying about the next one.”

Deputy Mayor Glenn De Baeremaeker, though, said he’s already become a “reluctant convert” to the Olympic idea.

“As much as I hate to admit it, I think the answer is yes,” he said when asked if he’d support an Olympic bid.

De Baeremaeker believes the Olympics would guarantee a vast investment in Toronto infrastructure. “For better or for worse, these international events do seem to be the trigger that makes us build things,” he said.

De Baeremaeker said he’d personally push for projects like the downtown relief subway line — an idea mooted in Toronto for decades — to be included in an Olympic proposal.

“It’s a sad state of affairs that it takes a special event to make sure we get good transit,” he said.

In the lead-up to the 2010 Winter Olympics, the Vancouver region saw vast infrastructure spending. Long-delayed projects that included a new highway to Whistler, a rail link to the airport and a convention centre were all rushed to completion, largely with provincial and federal funds.

“I honestly think that if you align your legacies with real problems that a host has, a region has, you can do an incredible job with the amount of money that seems available from other levels of government,” said Robert VanWynsberghe, a University of British Columbia professor who studied the financial legacy of the Games for the Canadian Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee.

Toronto councillors mulled over a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, but the economic development committee rejected the idea last year. The city has until Sept. 15 to reverse that decision and, with the National Olympic Committee’s support, put its name forward to the IOC.

Despite reports of wide apathy in the city and complaints of pending traffic chaos during the 16-day Pan Am Games, Tory said they’ve already been a success in terms of what they’ve brought the city, including the Union Pearson Express service and the new Scarborough aquatic centre.

“I do believe that’s one of the reasons you apply for these international events,” he said. “They set deadlines.”

National Post

Edited by dave199

Audio of radio talk show: Topic is a Toronto 2024 bid, one of the talk show hosts is positive and the other very negative..lol

Sources mention that the IOC is trying to secure the North American bid because Boston may fall through hence the meetings with Bach.and Toronto 2015 organizers.

https://soundcloud.com/live-drive/june-30th-2015-fill-in-hosts-alex-pierson-and-scott-reid

Edited by dave199

Sure it may look like a beautiful city, but it is facing a serious transportation crisis. You will find practically no public support for an Olympic bid because of the disruption the HOV measures are having on the region's already crippled traffic situation. No one in charge wants to do anything to make it better but to make it worse and force us to live a certain way. That's why I've been saying the HOV lanes are like a science experiment, to see how the public reacts to it.

^And being a beautiful city doesn't necessarily land you the Games anyway. Just ask Madrid, Chicago & Istanbul on that one.

Sources mention that the IOC is trying to secure the North American bid because Boston may fall through hence the meetings with Bach.and Toronto 2015 organizers.

I'm sure they do. Cuz without Boston, all the IOC has is Europe competing for 2024 (oh, the irony on that from the 2022 winter race, where you had Europe literally turning it's back), & surely they would like the competition to appear as "international" as possible.

I think Toronto should bid. I made my first visit to the city a few weeks ago, it really is a beautiful city that would provide a stunning backdrop for the games. Much more to offer the IOC than Boston.

And Paris has much more to offer the IOC than either one of them combined.

The way I see it:

If Toronto doesn't enter. it will be between Rome + Paris.

If Toronto enters, a strong North American opponent, it will be Toronto vs. either Rome/Paris on final ballot. I just can't see both European cities going up against each other on a final ballot when there is a strong NA city in this race.

I wouldn't say Paris is unbeatable but they're definitely a mammoth of an opponent to go up against. We beat them on the ballot for 2008 but the circumstances are much different now.

As of right now, I don't see any other candidate or potential applicant posing any kind of threat to the current order of favourties for this race besides Toronto.

Can we get some international members perspectives here?

^And being a beautiful city doesn't necessarily land you the Games anyway. Just ask Madrid, Chicago & Istanbul on that one.

I'm sure they do. Cuz without Boston, all the IOC has is Europe competing for 2024 (oh, the irony on that from the 2022 winter race, where you had Europe literally turning it's back), & surely they would like the competition to appear as "international" as possible.

And Paris has much more to offer the IOC than either one of them combined.

Besides Paris being this beautiful picturesque city with tremendous amount of history and appeal, the 100 year anniversary since it's last Olympics may really help its cause. Add to this its close heartbreaking loss to London for 2012. What will Paris do if they lose by a close vote again for 2024? Will IOC members be torn with the possibility of denying Paris again? So many questions and unknowns at this point.

Edited by dave199

The way I see it:

If Toronto enters, a strong North American opponent, it will be Toronto vs. either Rome/Paris on final ballot. I just can't see both European cities going up against each other on a final ballot when there is a strong NA city in this race.

I wouldn't say Paris is unbeatable but they're definitely a mammoth of an opponent to go up against. We beat them on the ballot for 2008 but the circumstances are much different now.

As of right now, I don't see any other candidate or potential applicant posing any kind of threat to the current order of favourties for this race besides Toronto.

Can we get some international members perspectives here?

The main challenger to Paris should be Hamburg, not Rome, as Germany in nowadays economic climate is the far more reliable option compared to Italy. But Hamburg would be to Paris what Munich would be to PC...a solid opponent without a real chance. So Toronto could easily come honourable second, too.

I can. We've seen it before..

2012bid.jpg

• Like 1

I'll give you that. :P Besides the stadium issue, what other problems was that New York bid having?

It was 16 years after Atlanta 1996 and 10 years after Salt Lake City 2002! ;)

It wasn't Asia's time either after Beijing 2008. Couldn't be Oceania. Africa, well... It was Europe's time, no doubt (the three finalists were Spain, France and Great-Britain)!

• Like 1

It was 16 years after Atlanta 1996 and 10 years after Salt Lake City 2002! ;)

It wasn't Asia's time either after Beijing 2008. Couldn't be Oceania. Africa, well... It was Europe's time, no doubt (the three finalists were Spain, France and Great-Britain)!

Exactly right, except there were only two finalists. Madrid was the first of the also-rans. ;)

I just can't see both European cities going up against each other on a final ballot when there is a strong NA city in this race.

That would depend if the IOC really wants to go to North America in 2024 TBW. And considering by 2024 it would make it 12 years since the last Summer Olympics were in Europe & the IOC having Europe bail out on them for 2022, & never going more than three Summer cycles without going to Europe, & having an unprecendented three Asian Olympics in a row, I just don't see that scenario likely.

I'm sure considering all of that, the IOC is itching to get back to Europe as soon as they can. Therefore I see a final ballot of Paris & either Hamburg or Rome much more likely. And that's assuming we have enough several multiple ballots in the first place to see a scenario like that play out, which there is also the plausibility that there wouldn't be.

I wouldn't say Paris is unbeatable but they're definitely a mammoth of an opponent to go up against. We beat them on the ballot for 2008 but the circumstances are much different now..

Of course no one is unbeatable. But that's always the thinking when someone wants to go up against a huge opponent. More often than not, though, that's not the case. That certainly was also the thinking against Beijing by some at the time.

And as far as Toronto beating Paris for 2008, don't you think that had more to do that the preceding 2004 Games were already slated for Europe (Athens)? I've seen this point put around before, but that had more to do with the timing against Paris than indicating anything that the IOC actually preferred Toronto to Paris. Not to mention the difference between those two cities in the second (& last ballot) was minimal in the first place.

Besides Paris being this beautiful picturesque city with tremendous amount of history and appeal, the 100 year anniversary since it's last Olympics may really help its cause. Add to this its close heartbreaking loss to London for 2012. What will Paris do if they lose by a close vote again for 2024? Will IOC members be torn with the possibility of denying Paris again? So many questions and unknowns at this point.

Which is what I mean when factoring in the geopolitics. They stack heavily in Paris' favor moreso than they do any other city going for (or even thinking about) 2024.

I don't think there's so many questions & unknowns at this point like there were, let's say six months ago. At least in Paris' case, where many of us were still guessing whether they were going to be in or out, bcuz they would be such a formidable opponent if they were in. The only unknowns really that are left is how many cities will actually apply for 2024 in the end.

I also don't see Paris losing by a close vote again, either. I think the IOC knows if Paris looses again, they won't be back for another long while. Does the IOC want the allure of Paris & what it would mean to attach one of the most iconic cities in the world to their brand for the 2024 Games has to be something that makes them very exciting & want to grab while the plate is still hot. The IOC is mainly about them anyway. Paris 2024 would mark three outta the last four Summer Olympics in three outta the four alpha cities in the world. That surely must make the IOC feel worthy. "Look everyone, all there important cities of the world still want us".

So if Paris wins, I believe they'll do so by a large margin this time, ala Beijing & Pyeongchang. The IOC will be very clear whether or not they want Paris this time around. And I see that they will.

• Like 3

We all knew this would happen: During an interview with the CBC's Heather Hiscox, Thomas Bach says Toronto would be a great choice to host the 2024 Olympics. Trying to recruit, that's for sure.

Edited by dave199

Maybe it is a bit premature of myself to make such early predictions for the 2024 race, but this is how I'm thinking things are going to playout.

For starters I think that if Toronto does submit a bid in September, their bid team is going to have to work at double the pace of other cities to catch up to their progress. While it certainly helps that Toronto has submitted two recently failed bids and hosted the Pan-Ams, they will still need to catch up to the other cities in terms of overall preperation and public support. Though I think Toronto can do it, I do not think they will ultimately bid. Toronto should save their star power to go head to head against the US in either 2028 or 2032. They are too good of a city to risk loosing in an already very Euro-centric feild.

Now as for predictions, if the cities already anounced and highly expected to bid do indeed submit to the IOC here's how I see the next few years:

September 15th, 2015; the following cities formally submit bids to the IOC

- Paris

- Hamburg

- Rome

- Budapest

- Boston

- Baku

- Doha

May 2016; The following cities are shortlisted by the IOC and become official candidate cities (my drawing of lots prediction):

- Boston

- Paris

- Hamburg

- Rome

- Budapest

September 2017; The following is a prediction of the voting rounds and the votes given to each city.

Round One:

Boston - 15

Paris - 33

Hamburg - 27

Rome - 18

Budapest - 5

- Budapest will not participate in the second round of voting.

Round Two:

Boston - 16

Paris - 37

Hamburg - 31

Rome - 16

- The cities of Boston and Rome will enter a tie breaker in round three.

Tie Breaker - Round Three:

Boston - 51

Rome - 49

- Rome will not participate in the fourth round of voting.

Round Four:

Boston - 18

Paris - 44

Hamburg - 41

- Boston will not participate in the fifth round of voting

Round Five:

Paris - 61

Hamburg - 46

- The honor of hosting the 2024 Olympic Games is awarded to the city of Paris

If Baku &/or Doha do apply, I don't see Budapest making through to the shortlist then. The IOC isn't going to just elimate the Muslim bids due to PR reasons. In this scenario, I see Budapest more like Prague was for 2016.

Depending on when/if South Africa decides to play, North America should be ripe for either 2028 or 2032.

• Like 1