Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

• 4 months later...

This was brought up in the Paris thread so might as well bring it here so we can keep it on topic. We elect a brand new mayor in a couple weeks. What are the chances Toronto officials ressurrect a bid for 2024? Pan Am games are just around the corner and that should boost the city's spirits and aspirations for going for 2024. Let's discuss. Keep in mind Toronto's executive committee which consisted of like 5-8 people voted now earlier in the year. This does not represent every city councillor.

This was brought up in the Paris thread so might as well bring it here so we can keep it on topic. We elect a brand new mayor in a couple weeks. What are the chances Toronto officials ressurrect a bid for 2024? Pan Am games are just around the corner and that should boost the city's spirits and aspirations for going for 2024. Let's discuss. Keep in mind Toronto's executive committee which consisted of like 5-8 people voted now earlier in the year. This does not represent every city councillor.

The Pan Am Games will generate buzz for a bid, and we'll likely see serious talks around then. I also think the Women's World Cup will drive interest for another similar event, depending on how the Canadian team does. John Tory would be likely to support a bid and can get all 3 levels of government interested. What needs to happen is someone needs to get off their ass and push for a bid. (Bitove, MLSE, Peterson, etc.)

Yes, the currently bidding situation is very volatile....Toronto could be well placed to do a Tokyo and be the safe bid standing in a small field- or stuck in a huge field of major cities!

But Toronto will still face strong opposition by the US. I highly doubt that the US would pass up 2024 in what looks like a small field.

The Pan Am Games will generate buzz for a bid, and we'll likely see serious talks around then. I also think the Women's World Cup will drive interest for another similar event, depending on how the Canadian team does. John Tory would be likely to support a bid and can get all 3 levels of government interested. What needs to happen is someone needs to get off their ass and push for a bid. (Bitove, MLSE, Peterson, etc.)

I agree. The Pan Am Games will most certainly generate great buzz and support.

Which will be clearer around the time that the Pan Ams end.

Probably so, but who knows...

But Toronto will still face strong opposition by the US. I highly doubt that the US would pass up 2024 in what looks like a small field.

That's why it's looking favourable for a return to North America. 2024 could be the US or Canada's best shot at winning in the next few cycles.

Our mayoral frontrunner looks to have a lot of support from Canadian Olympic athletes and leaders. The probability of Tory going forward with a bid are favourable.

http://www.johntory.ca/olympic-athletes-and-leaders-in-the-sports-community-back-john-tory-for-mayor/

Some more info I'm digging up, this is in regards to Rob Ford shutting down Toronto's potential 2020 bid without any consultation or vote:

John Tory, who supported Toronto exploring an Olympic bid, said he understands the mayor has big issues to tackle at city hall, but thinks public consultation could have been helpful.

“I don’t know that he would have decided any differently,” said the former leader of the provincial Conservative Party, who chairs the Greater Toronto CivicAction Alliance. “Having said that, he might have had a chance to speak with some more people.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/toronto-councillor-slams-mayors-unilateral-decision-on-olympic-bid/article592775/

Edited by dave199

For some reason I previously thought they just plain out voted NO to 2024 bid. But I'm reading and watching video back to that decision and the word they're using is "postponing" or "deferring" which means this 2024 bid could possibly be brought back to life in the next year.

http://www.680news.com/2014/01/20/toronto-committee-postpones-considering-2024-olympic-bid/

Edited by dave199

The bid wasn't dead with the decision. The vote was should we spend over a million on studying if we should bid. That was voted as a no. But the report is done lol idk why they need something more detailed. All it takes is one councilor to bring it back to life such as dmw.

The bid wasn't dead with the decision. The vote was should we spend over a million on studying if we should bid. That was voted as a no. But the report is done lol idk why they need something more detailed. All it takes is one councilor to bring it back to life such as dmw.

The possibility of this happening excites me greatly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...