Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

One of the main reasons Denver '76 was canceled was because all the ski resorts suited for Olympic events were far from the city. It's too much of a hasel and with the games becoming such a large event the logistics would be a nightmare, Salt Lake City will always be America's Winter Olympic city next to maybe Lake Placid.

Distance between Vancouver and Whistler is about the same as Denver to Vail or Breckenridge. Wasn't a problem for Vancouver, wouldn't be a problem for Denver. Calgary to Lake Louise is further.

And the fact that Breckenridge and Vail are close together and within 100 minutes of Denver makes Denver an ideal host for the OWG now. Lake Placid is far too small now. It would be impossible for LP to host another Games.

Quarker, Toronto is not going to win any Olympic bid anytime soon. Calgary is our next Olympic host.

• Like 1

Not if the COC stays on course and goes for a Summer Games, like they could have after the 2008 loss (still maintain if 2010 had not happened, Toronto could have very easily won 2020).

At that point they wanted to host any games they could. Right now it doesn't make too much sense to build a third sliding track in Canada. So until Calgary's venues start to age (which I believe is sooner rather than later) we wont see a winter bid until Toronto's bids are exhausted out (ie one bid lol).

2026 has North American screaming all over it. The COC would be nuts to not go after that.

I agree. The 2022 Games will come back to Europe, with Oslo, 2024 will go to Europe, with Rome, 2026 will go to North America with Usa, 2028 will go to Africa and 2030 will go to Europe.

If (a) it is important to the IOC to host a summer games in North America and (B) the US can't put out a decent bid, Toronto has a much better chance of hosting than some think.

What makes you think, though, that it is important for the IOC to host a Summer Olympics in North America. On the contrary, they probably find it more important to have North America hosts the Winter Olympics when A) there aren't as many valuable options to host those, & B) it's pretty much already been clarified that the IOC's old school mentality views North & South America as the "Americas' ", & Rio 2016 is gonna take care of the summer angle for this side of the world in their minds.

* that was suppose to be and B., not an emoticon.

• 4 weeks later...

Aubut wants a Summer Games in Canada

SOCHI, RUSSIA - Marcel Aubut hopes Canada bids to host another Games before his term as the country’s Olympic boss is over.

The president of the Canadian Olympic Committee was asked whether Canada will consider bidding on another Winter Games after seeing the success the Russian team has had in Sochi.
“What I want is Canada to get interested again, be serious about bidding for Olympics, winter and summer really . . . fine with me,” Aubut said Sunday.
“There’s potential not only in winter, there’s also potential in summer, especially with the Pan Am Games in 2015 in Toronto. The next step could be like Rio, just getting the Olympic Games.”
Rio de Janeiro hosted the 2007 Pan American Games, then won the right to stage the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Aubut, whose term is up in April of 2017, was speaking at the COC’s traditional wrap-up news conference at the Sochi Games.
Russia led the medals table with 33 — 13 gold, 11 silver and nine bronze.
Aubut said Canada’s summer athletes need the lasting legacy of a home Olympics that winter athletes have enjoyed since the 1988 Calgary and 2010 Vancouver Games.
“We’re more successful at winter Games, but we need more infrastructure for summer Games,” Aubut said. “To be honest with you, I just dream that we get summer Games in our country, just for justifying a legacy of top infrastructure for years to come for so many youth of our country.
“But you need a mayor’s signature to go forward. You need the federal government, you need all the provincial governments, you need everybody, Own The Podium, to say ‘We’ll do it.’
“I hope before I finish my term we will launch something very serious for being a contender for getting back the Olympics in our country.”
Toronto’s Economic Development Committee voted unanimously in favour of deferring a bid for the 2024 Olympics.
Toronto bid to host the 2008 Games, losing out to Beijing.
The 1976 Montreal Games are the only summer Olympics Canada has hosted.

The weird thing about the Olympics right now is that democratic countries can't justify them financially and yet we don't want them to be awarded to autocratic countries. Canada is the most admired country in the world, but it's hard to see how Canadian politicians are going to agree to spending billions on white elephant venues; particularly provincial politicians outside the province getting the games. I think it could easily be another half century before we see another summer games in North America.

This quote in particular is telling:

“We’re more successful at winter Games, but we need more infrastructure for summer Games,” Aubut said. “To be honest with you, I just dream that we get summer Games in our country, just for justifying a legacy of top infrastructure for years to come for so many youth of our country."

If you can't justify building a venue for domestic demand, then you shouldn't be building it at all. I'm not saying Toronto doesn't need the venues, but if it is not justified to build them to support local sports then what are you going to use them for after the Olympics? The athletes don't need a 90k capacity athletics stadium to practice in.

Rather than going for the Olympics when we can't justify them financially I wish we would give more support to regional games. It's too bad A list athletes consider regional games beneath them, because they make a lot more sense from an economic perspective while still providing good venues and training centres.

Yeah 'most admired' - thats rather jingoistic. Admired by who? I've met a lot of good Canadians in my time, but that level of self-assurement drives me nuts. Its worse than Americans they like to criticise.

Its not self assurance rather a perceived notion of the country which may/may not be true.

Yeah 'most admired' - thats rather jingoistic. Admired by who?

International polls of public opinion show that Canada and Germany are the most liked countries in the world by people other than their own citizens. My point is that the countries most liked by the world are becoming less and less interested in hosting the games, while many less than admired countries are becoming more likely to bid for them.

Well it' not true, especially when your own citizens want America to take you over.

I've lived in both countries (I'm an American citizen who went to university in Canada) and I have no idea where that's coming from. Canada's economy is in better shape (its dollar has overtaken the US dollar by a wide margin), it has better social services and most Canadians pay lower taxes.

• Like 1

International polls of public opinion show that Canada and Germany are the most liked countries in the world by people other than their own citizens. My point is that the countries most liked by the world are becoming less and less interested in hosting the games, while many less than admired countries are becoming more likely to bid for them.

I've lived in both countries (I'm an American citizen who went to university in Canada) and I have no idea where that's coming from. Canada's economy is in better shape (its dollar has overtaken the US dollar by a wide margin), it has better social services and most Canadians pay lower taxes.

Maybe, but at the cost of free enterprise.

Maybe, but at the cost of free enterprise.

Canada's corporate/business taxes are roughly half that of the US. And since the government pays for health care business don't pay for healthcare insurance.

>> (its dollar has overtaken the US dollar by a wide margin),

The Canadaian dollar is worth about $0.90 USD.

Hmm. My mistake. I don't work in retail, but have friends who do, and they have told me the Canadians have been shopping heavily in the US because the strength of the Canadian dollar has risen immensely in the past several years.

It's amusing how (some) Canadians feel they need to validate themselves against the US. Nobody in the US ever does the opposite.

Well not here on these boards. USA has 10x the people, has more medals, provides more income to the IOC is brought up in very single argument against Canada (on why the US should host first).

It's amusing how (some) Canadians feel they need to validate themselves against the US. Nobody in the US ever does the opposite.

Well precisely, I am a controversial figure on these boards, and I will say it right out. Canadian identity is precisely on the concept of being "not American". It has been this way for over 200 years. Remember that ad for Tim Horton's we saw over and over during Olympic coverage, I honestly think it is totally sad that we have to define national identity on a corporation that sells coffee, but really how can Canada define itself, what is today Canada was originally the land that the loyalists fled to during the American Revolution, it is as simple as that.

But anyways, to the point, Canada feels this way towards the US very simply put. Check out where everyone lives in Canada, if I remember, it's a figure of around 75% of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of the US border. While people in Canada want to define themselves as being "not American", and thinking of so silly things on why they are better, some of them ranging to beer. We even pride ourselves in having such miserable weather to deal with in the winter. Despite all this, Canadians of today at least, the younger generation especially, watch all American TV (Canadian channels other than the CBC which practically no one watches rarely air their own content), go to the theatre and see the giant blockbusters made from Hollywood (Anyone not really into film probably couldn't even name a Canadian movie), listen to music, and would rather do without the CANCON. Yes, I know Canadian Content had its place in music at one point,.Those of us here from Canada should know of Kim Mitchell, a good act, and yes in his day he could hold a large concert at the Kingswood Music Theatre, but just tell me, even with forced Cancon, how many Canadian acts who are only played on Canadian radio actually have large audiences at their shows? Compare crowds of shows of say The Tragically Hip to a world famous rock band like Rush.

I could go on further, but if you want to be brutally honest, many things that are different between the US and Canada are more or less local differences. A typical power center with your Wal Mart and Home Depot and what not would look the same in either country, the only difference is that the power centers in Canada have Canadian flags flying. With the extreme similarities really, it is kind of shocking that there are very few bilateral agreements between Canada and the US. Since Canada and the US have really never been at war (and most likely never will be), except that skirmish 200 years ago. Now juxtaposition that with how Europe is like today, forget about the European Union for a second, and focus on the Schengen Agreement, it has practically eradicated the bureaucracy of customs between countries. That's right folks, some countries that were not so long ago, under the iron curtain have open borders with western european nations. Switzerland, the nation we always see as "neutral" is part of this agreement, meanwhile the Canada-US border day after day grows to resemble the East-West Germany border. The actual border enforcement going into Canada or the US, they have extreme power and is probably one of the least free spots in the entire world, despite Canada and the US ideals being strongly based on freedom. US Customs for instance, treats a Kinder Surprise, a chocolate egg that has a toy you have to put together inside, as serious contraband and will heavily fine a US citizen for bringing one back. Your average joe visiting from California would probably not know any of the extremely complex rules there are involving agriculture and what not, and how things go across the imaginary line.

As for ranting, someone else put out a point, if the US heavily contributes to the IOC, and the Olympics having been out of the US for so long, even with a Europe centric IOC which everyone says, money is what makes the world goes around, why wouldn't a US bid (one that is actually serious) not be a sure slam dunk at winning 2024? Wasn't Atlanta very successful for a summer games financially?

SG1 you're full of s**t. I don't even know where to begin, but saying there's no well known music coming out of Canada? The biggest thing in Hip Hop right now is Drake (openly and proudly Canadian in many of his videos I may add) and the biggest thing in pop right now is Justin Bieber, another proud Canadian though not the positive ambassador that Drake is. I won't continue any further since I've wasted enough time on you already, your racism was bad enough, but this is making you sound like a bitter troll.

SG1 you're full of s**t. I don't even know where to begin, but saying there's no well known music coming out of Canada? The biggest thing in Hip Hop right now is Drake (openly and proudly Canadian in many of his videos I may add) and the biggest thing in pop right now is Justin Bieber, another proud Canadian though not the positive ambassador that Drake is. I won't continue any further since I've wasted enough time on you already, your racism was bad enough, but this is making you sound like a bitter troll.

Those two are definitely successful, but they get made fun of A LOT