Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

So, as I believe like many others, one of the strongest factors the IOC chose Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Summer Olympics because they are the first South American Hosts, if the IOC thought North and South America as 1 Continent 'Americas', then Rio de Janeiro would of not got the 2016 Summer Olympics, Tokyo or Chicago would of, probably Tokyo.

Yeah, but even Rogge, right after Rio won, said "the Games finally make it's way to the 'American Subcontinent' ". And while it seems unfair to some on here that the IOC still views North & South America as one, they more than likely still view it similar like East & Western Europe. Same continent, but still different enough to award a compelling bid from the far less represented portion of the "continent", in this case "South" America.

Plus, Brazil itself, as a country of 200 million people, never hosted before either. So that alone was still enough to award them the Games. But when you're talking about going back to "North" America, part of the "continent" that has hosted much moreso (akin to Western Europe's much multiple hostings) then it becomes much harder to make a compelling case when the Olympics have already been there quite a number of times.

Lots of speculation that 2032 might be the year for Toronto. My concern is if the city bids for 2028 and loses again, that the support for 2032 might not be there. People here will spin it off as we wasted a ton of money for the 2028 bid and failed for a third time. Should we just pass on a 2028 bid and wait for 2032? Of course, a 2032 bid will depend on if the USA hosts any of '24 or '28. I'm begining to think the USA will start to get fed up and just bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics instead and win. I understand that the USOC wants to host the Summer Olympics but they shouldn't have passed on a 2022 Winter Olympics bid. I think it would have been pretty much set in stone that the OG would be returning back to the USA.

I think 2028 shouldn't even be bid on.

With Toronto out of the race I see a clear favourite to host the 2024 Summer Games and that is with Los Angeles USA and after Stockholm pulled out of the 2022 race I see the Summer and Winter Games going to up to when I think when now Toronto Canada will host the Olympics and Paralympics Games in 2036 is.

Winter Games 2022 Beijing China

Summer Games 2024 Los Angeles USA

Winter Games 2026 Calgary Canada

Summer Games 2028 Berlin Germany

Winter Games 2030 Barcelona Catalonia

Summer Games 2032 Bangkok Thailand

Winter Games 2034 Reno - Lake Tahoe, Anchorage or Denver USA

Summer Games 2036 Toronto Canada

Oh god, our lovely Mayor Ford is making a fool of himself again with another video surfacing on the internet of him last night. Drunk Ford cursing the chief of police in an incoherent rant in Jamaican Patois. It's already making the news rounds in the US...lol

Edited by dave199
  • Like 1

With Toronto out of the race I see a clear favourite to host the 2024 Summer Games and that is with Los Angeles USA and after Stockholm pulled out of the 2022 race I see the Summer and Winter Games going to up to when I think when now Toronto Canada will host the Olympics and Paralympics Games in 2036 is.

Stockholm where? You need to be more specific! You could be referring to Stockholm Saskatchewan Canada or Stockholm New Jersey USA Stockholm Maine USA or Stockholm South Dakota USA as well as Stockholm Sweden OK?

Winter Games 2022 Beijing China

Summer Games 2024 Los Angeles USA

Winter Games 2026 Calgary Canada

Summer Games 2028 Berlin Germany

Winter Games 2030 Barcelona Catalonia

Summer Games 2032 Bangkok Thailand

Winter Games 2034 Reno - Lake Tahoe, Anchorage or Denver USA

Summer Games 2036 Toronto Canada

Oh dear, poor old Almaty Kazakhstan got lost on the way.

Rob Ford is one of the most popular politicans in Canada right now he will be getting re-elected again this year and every time bad press comes to Rob Ford he comes back even stronger and after he has been Mayor of Toronto he will be running for Prime Minster of Canada imagain Chris Christie being the President of the USA and Rob Ford the Prime Minster of Canada.

Rob Ford is more popular then Justin Trudeau like Chris Christie by the current polls will be the next President of the USA can reach out to everyone and both are down to earth people so after Rob Ford been the mayor of Toronto he is likely to be one of the next Prime Minister of Canada.

Rob Ford is one of the most popular politicans in Canada right now he will be getting re-elected again this year and every time bad press comes to Rob Ford he comes back even stronger and after he has been Mayor of Toronto he will be running for Prime Minster of Canada imagain Chris Christie being the President of the USA and Rob Ford the Prime Minster of Canada.

Rob Ford is more popular then Justin Trudeau like Chris Christie by the current polls will be the next President of the USA can reach out to everyone and both are down to earth people so after Rob Ford been the mayor of Toronto he is likely to be one of the next Prime Minister of Canada.

Who the hell are you to speculate with such authority on the domestic politics of another country? Mind your own bloody business.

Honestly shut the hell up.

All that I was saying by the current trends in the polls that Chris Christie will be the next President of the USA and the re-election of Rob Ford which now he is leading again in the polls and Rob Ford said he will be running for Prime Minister of Canada after he has been the Mayor of Toronto.

Thinking about this more, depending on how the Pan Ams go, and really they should go nowhere if we want to be brutally honest. What could convince the citizens of Toronto that the Olympcis could be beneficiary to them. I am merely more than a quarter century old, as I do remember the 2008 bid going down. As for opposition, was there much opposition to even making that bid back then? How exactly did the bid originate? I mean it's quite possible that Toronto will never ever bid again due to severe public opposition.

Think about what the Olympics may bring. Especially with Sochi, many see the Olympics as being synonomous to protests. As for protests, one can simply point to Toronto's G20, something forced upon them that led to over 1100 arrests, over 1000 had no charge at all in the end. The Pan Ams may have a crackdown like that, but I don't think there will be many protests during the Pan Ams if any. Montreal went down in history as going deeply into debt that wasn't paid off until 2006, and for what, Olympic Stadium has no tenant at all. Torontonians understand this quite well and seeing as the Pan Ams are a repeat, will be very reluctant to support any Olympic Bid.

Thinking about this more, depending on how the Pan Ams go, and really they should go nowhere if we want to be brutally honest. What could convince the citizens of Toronto that the Olympcis could be beneficiary to them. I am merely more than a quarter century old, as I do remember the 2008 bid going down. As for opposition, was there much opposition to even making that bid back then? How exactly did the bid originate? I mean it's quite possible that Toronto will never ever bid again due to severe public opposition.

Think about what the Olympics may bring. Especially with Sochi, many see the Olympics as being synonomous to protests. As for protests, one can simply point to Toronto's G20, something forced upon them that led to over 1100 arrests, over 1000 had no charge at all in the end. The Pan Ams may have a crackdown like that, but I don't think there will be many protests during the Pan Ams if any. Montreal went down in history as going deeply into debt that wasn't paid off until 2006, and for what, Olympic Stadium has no tenant at all. Torontonians understand this quite well and seeing as the Pan Ams are a repeat, will be very reluctant to support any Olympic Bid.

Pan ams are at the level of 1976? Are you delusional? Fact is most new builds besides thr velodrome are UNDER BUDGET. Its the media which puts out these false lies to get page hits.

Pan ams are at the level of 1976? Are you delusional? Fact is most new builds besides thr velodrome are UNDER BUDGET. Its the media which puts out these false lies to get page hits.

Fact or not, the vast maority of the public sees this as a massive waste of money. Which is why they would NEVER support an Olympic bid. Even with something like the PanAm games has 32 members of the organizing committee on the "Sunshine List". You know this as well as I do, by the time everyone has their hands in their pockets, next thing this party will cost close to 4 billion dollars.

Costs refer to a BILLION for the athletes village, why in the lord does it cost THAT much? The everyday Torontontian probably has not even heard of the Pan Am games until the bid came around for it. There is almost zero support of people within the city of the Pan Am games.

It looks like Canada will be bidding for the 2026 World Cup. If successful Toronto will get its brand new stadium that can be used for a 2032 Olympic bid.

The Canadian Soccer Association launched their strategic plan for 2014-2018 today and this is listed.

3.4 Successfully prepare and submit a bid to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/files/CanadaSoccer_StrategicPlan2014_2018_EN.pdf

Edited by dave199

It looks like Canada will be bidding for the 2026 World Cup. If successful Toronto will get its brand new stadium that can be used for a 2032 Olympic bid.

The Canadian Soccer Association launched their strategic plan for 2014-2018 today and this is listed.

3.4 Successfully prepare and submit a bid to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/files/CanadaSoccer_StrategicPlan2014_2018_EN.pdf

And it gives Rob Ford the NFL stadium he wants. (God forbid he is still in power then)

A World Cup in Canada would be great fun - but tread carefully with FIFA.

I'm sure it would but how attainable do you think the 2026 World Cup would be for Canada? Our men's team is garbage but hopefully with the vision and plan in place that the CSA has they can turn it around. The CONCACAF federation is supporting Canada with this so that is a good sign. I'm not sure how this would be viewed on the international stage.

Well, it was pretty attainable for Qatar. Not that Canada is anything like Qatar, but FIFA Is just so unpredictable, and perhaps wanting to clean up its image, so maybe Canada could be in the right place in the right time.

Regardless of how much Canada's mens team stinks (womens, on the other hand) it could be an attractive option for FIFA.

My immediate threats to the success of a Canadian bid are, ironically, similar to the 2024 Olympics: the United States, European bids and China (in place of Durban).

I think Canada could pull it off, but the competition could be tough - and FIFA seems happy with walking all over the people who play fair (eg/ Australia 2022).

Yeah, it's supposed to be, by the current rules (and they could change of course)' between CONCACAF, South America, Africa or Oceania. Assuming South America have their eye on the 2030 centennial, I'd agree it would likely be the US as your main competition, and I think they'd be hard to beat.