Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

I don't think there's much chance of a US/Canada games before 2032. I can't see past Paris 24/ Durban 28 or reverse. Possibly Rome replacing Paris. As I've said before, Toronto's best chance is if USOC lose patience & go for 2026/30 winter games, one of which they'll surely get if they want it. I think Toronto have been very sensible, in both not spending loads of $ for what would be a very unlikely bid, & also giving themselves the chance to get rid of Ford before the city goes under world scrutiny. Also, it gives them 2015 to see if Toronto has what it takes, the Pan Am could be the test. I think the Expo bid makes sense too, it could create a good Olympic park while also showcasing Toronto/Canada in 2025, the year of the 2032 decision. So I know some people will be disappointed, but I think the council have done the right thing here.

Well in terms of the Pan Ams being a test for Toronto, it's a way one-way test: there's nowhere to go but down or stay the same. Without the Pan Ams, Toronto would have the benefit of the doubt that they could host an Olympics. With the Pan Ams, it's expected they should be able to host a Pan Ams. If they screw it up, then they lose the benefit of the doubt.

The Pan Ams will be successful.

Boneheads on the city;s economic development committee. The Expo can;t even be bid on and they won't council to vote to study it for a million? Idiots seriously. I plan on heading to City Hall tomorrow to tell these 5 they are morons for voting for an expo !

Anyways the bid isn't fully dead but its likely over for 2024.

want* this is what happens when you type fast on mobile -_-

• Like 2

Yes, the looking further into the Expo is just dumb. If you don't want to pursue the Olympics further, that's one thing. I may or may not agree, but I can respect that choice- everyone has a right to an opinion. But then to turn around and vote yes on considering the Expo at the same time- defies all logic.

Yes, the looking further into the Expo is just dumb. If you don't want to pursue the Olympics further, that's one thing. I may or may not agree, but I can respect that choice- everyone has a right to an opinion. But then to turn around and vote yes on considering the Expo at the same time- defies all logic.

Exactly I can respect a no go for the Olympics but picking the Expo over the Olympics really irks me.

Perhaps they realize which one they'd have a much better chance for when considering all the variables. And judging by their very own Olympic bid report, it sounds like they have. So when one looks at it that way, it doesn't really defy logic.

One should also note that Toronto did beat Paris in the 2008 race, this comes especially after France learned from the mistake of its experiment with Lille 2004 and went to the surefire capital.

Let's not real too much into that one. Athens was hosting the preceeding 2004 Games, so back -to-back Euro Summer Games was already a tough sell. Plus, when you look at that it only took Beijing two rounds to win, it was quite clear where the far majority of the IOC wanted to go. The rest were just split with the smaller half of the Olympic pie.

Exactly I can respect a no go for the Olympics but picking the Expo over the Olympics really irks me.

I wouldn't worry too much as I doubt this will get that far. But yeah I agree it's stupid to send the Expo bid to a city council vote then turn around and don't even give the same chance to the Olympics. Expo's are pretty much irrelevant in this part of the world so I'm just baffled that executive committee prefered this.

The Expos? Pffft. 1925 called, they want their pavilions back...

lmao.

The relevance of Expo died when the Internet hit full throttle in the 21st Century.

I think Canada might have a shaded view of the event because it hosted one of the best World's Fairs in 1967 - but Toronto won't be able to reignite that magic, that time has gone. It had even started to fade by the time Vancouver 1986 rolled around.

For Toronto these bids aren't about recreating magic, though it has what it takes to make things enjoyable/magical, the real incentive is infrastructure investment and urban renewal of waterfront lands.

Waterfront urban renewal doesn't require a major event to spur it along - it needs steady and relevant urban planning. Two of the largest examples of this sort of development, the London and Melbourne Docklands, occurred/is occurring without the distraction of Expos or Olympics. Melbourne's Docklands redevelopment was initially hanging on hosting the 1996 Olympics - and that not eventuating is the best thing to happen to the precinct.

I can understand Toronto's ambition to host an Olympics, but it shouldn't hang its future development on it happening. As for Expo, its entirely irrelevant. Instead of pumping money from the public and private sector into an event to 'spur' development in an area - why not just skip the major event and get on with development that is actually needed and relevant. Most Expos leave a legacy of windswept, modernist former sites. Anyway - its not my city so not really my business - but I am in planning and interested in Toronto and don't buy that the city needs Expo, no city does--- except aspirational cities like Dubai or Shanghai that have something to prove to the world.

Waterfront urban renewal doesn't require a major event to spur it along - it needs steady and relevant urban planning. Two of the largest examples of this sort of development, the London and Melbourne Docklands, occurred/is occurring without the distraction of Expos or Olympics. Melbourne's Docklands redevelopment was initially hanging on hosting the 1996 Olympics - and that not eventuating is the best thing to happen to the precinct.

I can understand Toronto's ambition to host an Olympics, but it shouldn't hang its future development on it happening. As for Expo, its entirely irrelevant. Instead of pumping money from the public and private sector into an event to 'spur' development in an area - why not just skip the major event and get on with development that is actually needed and relevant. Most Expos leave a legacy of windswept, modernist former sites. Anyway - its not my city so not really my business - but I am in planning and interested in Toronto and don't buy that the city needs Expo, no city does--- except aspirational cities like Dubai or Shanghai that have something to prove to the world.

Unfortunately, we would like to move forward on these developments but can't. City hall is full of such idiotic and stubborn people that all they do is bitch and barely get anything done. Our mayor is a drug user, his brother isn't much better and the speaker of the council conducts herself like a Starbucks barista. In my opinion, the only way for these developments to get done is through a major event like the Olympics.

In my opinion, sports venues is not as major an issue as they make it seem. Any new venues would have a lasting impact on the city, as we would redevelop and create a whole new community in the port lands for generations to come. In addition, the real help would come with regards to transportation. Toronto has one of the worst public transit systems in the Western Hemisphere. An Olympic Games would certainly change that.

Unfortunately, we would like to move forward on these developments but can't. City hall is full of such idiotic and stubborn people that all they do is bitch and barely get anything done. Our mayor is a drug user, his brother isn't much better and the speaker of the council conducts herself like a Starbucks barista. In my opinion, the only way for these developments to get done is through a major event like the Olympics.

In my opinion, sports venues is not as major an issue as they make it seem. Any new venues would have a lasting impact on the city, as we would redevelop and create a whole new community in the port lands for generations to come. In addition, the real help would come with regards to transportation. Toronto has one of the worst public transit systems in the Western Hemisphere. An Olympic Games would certainly change that.

*the worst lol. Being packed like sardines on a train isn't going to be a pretty sight next year.

Toronto's PT system is hardly the worst in the Western Hemisphere. Compared to other Canadian cities, and even Australian cities, it does extremely well. Not to mention the countless U.S. cities that could be named that are vastly worse off - Atlanta, Phoenix, etc... The late (prolific) Australian transit planner, Paul Mees, cited Toronto a model for Melbourne's transport plan.

Toronto's PT system is hardly the worst in the Western Hemisphere. Compared to other Canadian cities, and even Australian cities, it does extremely well. Not to mention the countless U.S. cities that could be named that are vastly worse off - Atlanta, Phoenix, etc... The late (prolific) Australian transit planner, Paul Mees, cited Toronto a model for Melbourne's transport plan.

Obviously you've never been to Toronto.....

*the worst lol. Being packed like sardines on a train isn't going to be a pretty sight next year.

I can't handle the TTC anymore. Ever since I bought my car I refuse to take the TTC. OMG!! I had to deal with the most ignorant people on the Jane St. route. I swear to god I seen everything you could imagine by taking the Jane St. bus..haha, from being packed into the bus like sardines, smelling disgusting body odours of others, from fights, drunks, people committing sexual acts, someone taking a piss infront of everyone on the bus, ppl screaming into your ear while they're talking on their cell phones..it was the worst. It also didn't help that sometimes you have to wait forever for a bus to arrive, and then when it does arrive there's like 2 to 4 buses all at once. That always used to piss me off..lol

• Like 1

Obviously you've never been to Toronto.....

No, I haven't. But I have been to other cities in the Western Hemisphere that I know for a fact have far worse PT than Toronto does. With both a subway and an extensive street car system, it isn't doing too badly, comparatively.

I can't handle the TTC anymore. Ever since I bought my car I refuse to take the TTC. OMG!! I had to deal with the most ignorant people on the Jane St. route. I swear to god I seen everything you could imagine by taking the Jane St. bus..haha, from being packed into the bus like sardines, smelling disgusting body odours of others, from fights, drunks, people committing sexual acts, someone taking a piss infront of everyone on the bus, ppl screaming into your ear while they're talking on their cell phones..it was the worst. It also didn't help that sometimes you have to wait forever for a bus to arrive, and then when it does arrive there's like 2 to 4 buses all at once. That always used to piss me off..lol

Sounds a lot like Sydney to me. :lol:

As people here in the Greater Toronto Area can attest to, the whole notion of even bidding for 2024 was incredibly negative. There was not one positive news about this in the mainstream media whatsoever.

But by going back reading a few pages, why do you guys not think that the 2024 bid would have been a slam dunk in Toronto? I thought it would be for a few obvious reasons:

1) The Olympics will not have been in an English speaking country since London 2012

2) The Olympics will not have been in North America since Vancouver 2010. Furthermore, the last North American Summer Olympics were Atlanta 1996.

3) The IOC still has a vendetta against the US as we saw with the Chicago 2016 bid, mainly whoever the US Olympic Committee chooses would have been the main competitor to Toronto's bid.

4) Hosting the Pan American Games, while this has been a political disaster, the actual success of the games in 2015 should not be hard to pull off, I mean in terms of running smoothly. This proves that Toronto would have what it takes to host the Summer Olympics. Rio's 2016 bid was successful largely because of the smooth running of the Pan Am games.

I wanted the Olympics here not because of any inferiority complex as some say Toronto has. I wanted it, because it would get politicians in all layers of government to start to agree on building serious infrastructure. The Queen Subway line which we have been arguing over for 100 years may actually see the light of day.

As people here in the Greater Toronto Area can attest to, the whole notion of even bidding for 2024 was incredibly negative. There was not one positive news about this in the mainstream media whatsoever.

But by going back reading a few pages, why do you guys not think that the 2024 bid would have been a slam dunk in Toronto? I thought it would be for a few obvious reasons:

1) The Olympics will not have been in an English speaking country since London 2012

2) The Olympics will not have been in North America since Vancouver 2010. Furthermore, the last North American Summer Olympics were Atlanta 1996.

3) The IOC still has a vendetta against the US as we saw with the Chicago 2016 bid, mainly whoever the US Olympic Committee chooses would have been the main competitor to Toronto's bid.

4) Hosting the Pan American Games, while this has been a political disaster, the actual success of the games in 2015 should not be hard to pull off, I mean in terms of running smoothly. This proves that Toronto would have what it takes to host the Summer Olympics. Rio's 2016 bid was successful largely because of the smooth running of the Pan Am games.

I wanted the Olympics here not because of any inferiority complex as some say Toronto has. I wanted it, because it would get politicians in all layers of government to start to agree on building serious infrastructure. The Queen Subway line which we have been arguing over for 100 years may actually see the light of day.

Just read through all the previous pages. A lot of members gave their insight on why they thought Toronto had a shot or didn't. It's been said many times. Europe has never gone 3 cycles without a Summer Olympics. Paris and Rome are strong contenders to begin with and with it being 100 years since Paris 1924, and coming close to winning 2012, it just makes sense that Paris is way above the competiton in the 2024 race.

Or Rome and the vote splitting between candidates was kind of over stated because all it took was for one European bid to be in the final 2 to win. 2024 gives the vibes of 2012 where a strong European bid will win.

I don't think 2028 is worth even bidding for. Its likely headed to South Africa. So the next realistic shot is 2032.