Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Almost 9000 now. Seems Canada is over the Olympics after Vancouver 2010 and the failures of '96 and '08

9,000 doesn't represent a city of 2.7 million people. Especially considering this is from the Sun I wouldn't take it a grain of salt.

Public support for a Toronto Olympics stood at 89% for a possible 2020 bid and this from a reputable IPSOS.

A co worker in Toronto forward me this

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/14/olympic-bid-would-cost-toronto-at-least-50m

Wow 8000 against the bid. Will the people have a say on this?

You've always gone out of your way to be overtly negative in regards for Toronto bidding for an Olympics ever since you've joined the board. That's alright, your entitled to your opinion and I already know what your trying to do here by posting a non-scientific poll from The Toronto Sun, that supposedly a "co-worker" forwarded to you...hmmmm. Check the Global News Website. 66% support the bid. But you know what, I don't even take that poll seriously. http://globalnews.ca/news/1081307/toronto-to-consider-hosting-2024-olympic-games/

Point is that these polls posted on these websites don't mean much.

9,000 doesn't represent a city of 2.7 million people. Especially considering this is from the Sun I wouldn't take it a grain of salt.

Public support for a Toronto Olympics stood at 89% for a possible 2020 bid and this from a reputable IPSOS.

Yeah, people forget that IPSOS Reid poll conducted for 2020. And the Toronto Sun is a joke of a newspaper. Horrible writing and who takes the newspaper seriously when they have a Pinup girl "Sunshine Girl" in the newspaper each day.

As much as I would love for Toronto to win in 2024, I just don't see it happening with the USA having been out of it for so long and with South Africa likely to make an emotional plea, I think they would likely lose out early in any voting.

Possibly, we just have to see who will indeed bid first. Like it has been said many times it is very early in this race. There could be some very high profile cities that are expected to bid that end up not going forward.

Edited by dave199

Your right I don’t believe in polls, but in Switzerland we have vote in referendums. Is Toronto going to allow this? Then we get a nice clear picture. Bern had high public support in the polls but when the true vote came Bern withdrew. And look at Munich. So do the people have a choice in this matter yes or no.

Your right I don’t believe in polls, but in Switzerland we have vote in referendums. Is Toronto going to allow this? Then we get a nice clear picture. Bern had high public support in the polls but when the true vote came Bern withdrew. And look at Munich. So do the people have a choice in this matter yes or no.

If there is enough vocal support for a referendum I don't see why this wouldn't take place later on.

And do you think the taxpapers are going to support this?

I would say there would be a majority in the Yes bracket, it was at 89% support a few years ago. It might have taken a hit since then due to citizens pissed off at our elected government officials for many reasons. I doubt it gone from a 89% to under 50%.

First things first, this needs approval by the Economic committee tomorrow to continue the study at a cost of $1 million.

I just don't see it happening right here and right now. Even if Toronto did bid they would loose to the US or South Africa or Paris. The US is a much more favorable host nation in North America, especially if it's in LA considering the vast amount of revitalization happening there, which the Olympics would only escalate. I'm saying this not as a nationalistic American (which I'm not) because I feel the US should focus on other things than the Olympics and LA really does not suit what I want from a US bid city.

I simply do not think that Toronto will against Durban, Rome, Paris, and Los Angeles all of which having larger international and Olympic profiles.

But does the IOC want another LA games? And another 3rd host so soon after London? But I can see the IOC giving the games to LA over a far superior Toronto bid for various reasons.

Such reasons including how dramatically different (yet familiar) it could be than the 84 Olympics thanks to the wealth of new sporting venues and ever increasing infrastructure, as well as a thanks for 84 as LA was the only city which really put themselves forward and brought back confidence in a games turning a profit after the turmoil of 76 and 80.

One should also note that Toronto did beat Paris in the 2008 race, this comes especially after France learned from the mistake of its experiment with Lille 2004 and went to the surefire capital.

But does the IOC want another LA games? And another 3rd host so soon after London? But I can see the IOC giving the games to LA over a far superior Toronto bid for various reasons.

Such reasons including how dramatically different (yet familiar) it could be than the 84 Olympics thanks to the wealth of new sporting venues and ever increasing infrastructure, as well as a thanks for 84 as LA was the only city which really put themselves forward and brought back confidence in a games turning a profit after the turmoil of 76 and 80.

One should also note that Toronto did beat Paris in the 2008 race, this comes especially after France learned from the mistake of its experiment with Lille 2004 and went to the surefire capital.

Paris would be a third time host, LA looks like the best city from the US and the only one that seems loyal enough to bid until they get them.

All I keep seeing on tv is Mayor Rob Ford and Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly saying that we shouldn't go forward with this bid because of the costs of bidding and the money should be spent on other issues in Toronto.

Me too. But as we know, Rob Ford's voice certainly isn't as loud as it once was. What is interesting is that councillors like Minnan Wong seem to favour the bid, and Michael Thompson, who says the report seems to recommend bidding.

Me too. But as we know, Rob Ford's voice certainly isn't as loud as it once was. What is interesting is that councillors like Minnan Wong seem to favour the bid, and Michael Thompson, who says the report seems to recommend bidding.

Thompson would love to support it but he's been suggesting and pushing for this to be shelved.

From what I took from Minan-Wong's interview, he is concerned about costs but that won't deter him from voting Yes. What concerns me the most is the negatively coming from big public figures who's voices are persuading citizens to share their views. If this bid is approved today, the committee has a lot of work cut out for them to change these negative views in more positive optimistic ones.

I just realized that Minan-Wong isn't on this committee so he won't vote.

Here is the list of people who will vote on this matter.

Members